Azure Reservations

1. Auto Shutdown Virtual Machine based on last known timezone

Auto Shutdown Virtual machines is know based on the original created timezone time.

But when you travel like for instance the current MVP Summit. You are not in the same timezone.
    Maybe you can check the last timezone somebody login in. And use that timezone for the auto shutdown...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide filtering or white lists for Azure SQL Database alerts

"Microsoft Azure SQL Database: Someone has logged on to your SQL server '<ServerName>' from an unusual Azure Data Center"

""Microsoft Azure SQL Database: Someone has logged on to your SQL server '<ServerName>' from an unusual Azure Data Center" "

We get these when our support team in a region other than the one hosting a SQL instance connects to that instance, if they haven't done so for some period of time. There is no way for us to filter out these “noise” alerts. We should be able to “white list” our RDS VMs, or at least filter out source data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better way to take the vm golden images

The procedure to take vm golden image and spin up new instances using the same image is a very lengthy procedure and requires technical guys to mess up with the azure templates and do it.

This task however can be delegated to less technical people (who knows how to operate a software ) to simply take images using gui and spinning up a new virtual machine/s using the same golden image.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Regarding queueing of free workspace in azure ML studio.

Recently while I was working on Azure ML Studio, my workspace entered a perennial queue state, making it unable to run any experiment. I logged a ticket with MS support team and after their background analysis, the reason was found out to be : I as a free workspace user can not run more than one experiment at a time, whereas I was doing exactly that, Due to resource crunch in a free workspace, it entered into a queue state.

My suggestion to MS team is, if this info was made available to me while I was signing up or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Fix Scale-out for Tomcat

The implementation of Azure WebApp scale-out is done by sharing the same filesystem between instances. This works fine for .NET applications in IIS but not for applications in Tomcat.

To run properly multiple instances of Tomcat, separated "webapps", "logs", "temp", and "work" folders are needed per instance.

Without separated "webapps" folder, when the 2nd instance of Tomcat tries to expand the war file has do deal with locked files from the 1st instance. Errors start to occur for every requests forward from the load balancer to this 2nd instance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make autoscale work in practice for big deployments

Autoscale doesn't work for big deployments. The design is wrong.

Autoscale detects that it should scale up or down, and sends the message to RDFE, but if RDFE sees any error condition (e.g. broken disk, something that will happen more often on big deployments), it will not scale the instance.

Autoscale developers claim that autoscale works because RDFE gets the signal. They are wrong. Autoscale works when we get enough instances to handle the load. As a customer I don't care about internal signals in Azure. I use autoscale to get the instances I need when I need them and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Change "Max NICs per VM" to at least 2 for all VM sizes

A customer of mine is evaluating Azure and is requesting that Microsoft increase the maximum number of NICs to 2 for the Azure VMs that currently have a maximum of 1 NIC (e.g. A0, A1, A2, A5, D1, D1v2, DS1, DS1v2, F1, F1s, etc.).

The reason/justification is that even the smaller-scale VMs should allow for Production implementation of Management Zones with separation of management traffic from application traffic (and separation in Network Security Group rules).

Note: Through a quick review of documentation from AWS, it looks like their maximum NICs per instance - or what they call "Maximum Elastic Network…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Recovery Site Services / Backups for Canadian Datacenters

Well the Canadian servers are welcome, we are still waiting for the recovery services to become available prior to migrating approximately 25 servers across a few subscriptions our clients who have been waiting for Canadian availability.

Any updates on when this is going to be happening? With two of the clients if it does not happen before the end of July they will be finding other solutions. (~5 instances for these 2 clients)

Please advise!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create a tier that only charges for CPU cycles used, not idle cycles

Many instances are mostly idle; and surely your underlying VM technology can use those idle cycles for running other people's jobs.

Instead of charging for the idle CPU cycles, create a pricing tier that charges more for CPU cycles that are actually used, and less for ones where machines are idle.

This would be useful for very bursty workloads.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make Azure Antimalware Stick to Slot in Cloud Services

Currently, every time I create a new staging slot and swap with production, I have to set up a new instance of Azure Antimalware on the production slot through PowerShell. This is somewhat annoying, especially since its possible to forget to enable the Antimalware after every new deployment. I looked around and it seems that I might be able to create a startup task to set up the Antimalware for me; however, I think there is an issue that I can't seem to get around.

The Set-AzureServiceAntimalwareExtension requires a paramenter "slot", which can be either "Production" or "Staging". Now, the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Error: Internal server error: Remoteapp in Southeast asia

I am trying to create a remoteapp instance in Southeast asia and it keeps failing due to an "Internal Server error". Any ideas what is causing this?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Reservations for Sponsorship Subscription

Currently this is not possible. While it's great that Microsoft offers an $3,500. credit toward Azure services for qualified Non-Profits it gets eaten up quickly for VMs that are setup permanently on Azure. Microsoft should allow VM Reservations for Sponsorship Subscriptions which will allow their credit donation to go furthe

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tags for Reservation

It would great to tag reservations similar to most other existing resources in Azure

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Cost Reporting on Reserved Instances to compare cost of PayAsYoGo against Reserved Instance to show you are getting the estimated savings.

We need to be able to report to Finance on the cost savings of Virtual Machines and Reserved Instance purchases, for example the pay-as-you-go cost stacked against the Reserved Instance purchases. This includes usage reporting, allocating percentages, across multiple Subscriptions that are using Shared RI's under the same EA.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Reserved instances for more subscription types

It is frustrating that there are only three subscription types which have Reserved Instances available.
    For instance, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/offers/ms-azr-0035p/ this does not have Reserved Instances available.
    Why does receiving an MPN benefit credit preclude the ability to use Reserved Instances? They should not be related at all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

16. Reserved Instances Report improving

I issue a support ticket, and understand that some level o RI's reporting is not yet available in the portal.

At the end the request is:
    Can the below API calls, been translated or "published" on portal.azure.com.

API CALLS

REST API - https://management.azure.com/providers/Microsoft.Billing/billingAccounts/{enrollmentId}/providers/Microsoft.Billing/billingPeriods/{billingPeriodId}/providers/Microsoft.Consumption/usagedetails?metric={metric}&api-version=2019-04-01-preview&$filter={filter}

1 - All Charges (usage and purchases) Replace {metric} with ActualCost

2- Usage that got reservation discount Replace {metric} with ActualCost

Replace {filter} with: properties/reservationId%20ne%20

3- Usage that didn't get reservation discount Replace {metric} with ActualCost

Replace {filter} with: properties/reservationId%20eq%20
    Amortized charges (usage and purchases) Replace {metric} with AmortizedCost

4- Unused reservation report Replace {metric} with AmortizedCost

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable reporting on expired Reservation through Consumption API

Hello,
    Currently when using the Consumption API to track usage charges for Reserved Instances, if the reserved instance has expired it loses the ability to report on previous dates when the Reservation was still active.

Example: If a reservation expires on April 1st, and I call the consumption API on April 2nd to provide usage details for any days prior to April 1st, the reservations that were active prior to expiration do not show any usage.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. make limitations of free tier more apparent during sign up

The AKS landing page has a "Start free" button that will sign up new users and get them into a free trial account. From here it's possible to go all the way through requesting a cluster, including submission of the job and successful provisioning of an API. The node provisioning fails bc the default 3 node cluster with the only available instance type would exceed quota limits. Getting so far through the process to find out that quotas are the limitation and then that the workaround is to upgrade from the free trial to a paid plan or try a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow a reservation to be moved to a VM in a different AAD

I had setup a virtual machine and was testing over a period of a few weeks with a colleague. We needed to keep it up 24 hours a day and were pretty sure this machine was going to be in use for the long term, so I purchased a Reserved Instance to lower the cost.

As we continued our testing, it became obvious we needed to apply Azure Active Directory for increased security and management of users and groups. The VM was associated with the default AAD and after evaluating, I decided it should be in a separate AAD.

After…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Offer reserved instances for vCPU Constrained VMs

Currently vCPU constrained VMs eg E16-8s_v3 are not available for Reserved Instance purchases - which seems quite unfair since we're already paying full price for the VM...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Reservations

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base