Azure Reservations

1. Link Reserved Instance Purchase to a specific Virtual Machine

Microsoft's current practice of Pooling Reserved Instances by VM Type has it's merits, since it ensures that a Reserved Instance will be 'used' whenever possible, but Microsoft should also provide for the capability of linking a specific VM to a Reserved Instance.

We have a situation where we have more VMs of a particular configuration type (e.g. B4ms) than the number of Reserved Instances that we have purchased. The goal of purchasing the Reserved Instances was to exclude the compute costs of specific VMs for the 3-year period and be able to bill-back the hourly compute costs of the remaining…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. List of VMs where RI is applied

To get the list of VMs where RI is applied is very difficult to fetch right now. Current process redirects to Azure EA portal and we have to go through 100 MBs file to get the details.

In stead a PowerShell script or from Azure portal, list of VMs should be visible where RI is applied.

Also, if there is a flexibility of finding a VM which don't use RI in particular subscription, that would be great.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. allow source address to be Natted in Azure Load balancer (Source Natting)

Sometimes your need to NAT the source address of a request going through an Azure load balancer (OpenShift masters for instance). Currently you need to deploy a 3rd party lb like an F5 to get this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. More Sponsorship Opportunities

I think there should be more sponsorship opportunities then just for non-profits. Instances like mine where I provide a virtual enviroment to a community doesn't meet the requirements for sponsorship which is difficult since the service is already better then Amazon cloud service.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Check Pause/Resume status of DataWarehouse using T-SQL

It is great that I can check the scaled performance level of my data warehouses using a T-SQL query from the Microsoft SQL Azure master datebase:

SELECT db.name, ds.edition, ds.serviceobjective, db.statedesc
    FROM sys.databaseserviceobjectives ds
    JOIN sys.databases db ON ds.databaseid = db.databaseid
    WHERE ds.edition = 'DataWarehouse'

Please make it possible to check the true state of the data warehouse as well. This query always reports the data warehouse to be 'Online' even when it is really in a 'Paused' state.

P.S. For the life of me, I can't understand why this functionality isn't already built…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Separate the RI order charege from consumpiton base services on usage summy of EA portal

Currently, the EA usage summary is categorized into three parts, Azure service, Charges Billed Separtely, and Azure Marketplace. The RI bills is included in Azure servics. Since RI is prepaid plan and differ from consumption base servics . Is it possible to divide from others?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add cloud name to the instance metadata service

I would like to have a way, from inside a VM to determine in which cloud the VM is running, AzurePublic, US Gov, China, etc. The instance metadata service currently exposes compute.location. It seems having the cloud name would be very useful.

For example, the Python API, if given a cloud name, already knows the correct API endpoints to call for each cloud.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. RBAC Role for Reserved Instance creation WITHOUT Owner role on the Subscription

RBAC role created so a group can be added for the single purpose of Reserved Instance creation, without keys to the kingdom (Owner rights). Capacity and Procurement would not need such keys as they would only be creating RI’s, following Least Privilege Access.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. reserved instance

Add a column for a Reserved Instance's normalized units. When trying to account for the consumed units related to a reservation ID, the quantities should add up to the total normalized units reserved by that RI. The way it is currently set up can make the consumed quantities appear to be larger than the reserved quantities because the factoring/scaling is different between multiple instances sizes in the same family.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Build in support for xpackages for scalesets

It appears that xpackages do not work in a vm scaleset. Calling a DSC configuration script from a ARM template used to create the scaleset does not install the defined xpackages to the instances. Therefore you cannot use xpackages to configure your instances. Work around may be to install the required packages into your scaleset image. It would be nice if you had the ability to call a DSC extension and use xpackages to configure your instances without pre-seeding the packages into the image.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Container Health: Surface Namespaces in Containers / Controllers Views

In the Log Analytics Container Health solution for AKS, the containers / controllers views are very useful to quickly identify pods/containers that are using too much CPU or memory.

However, currently you only surface the replica name and the container name in the chart, which is insufficient.

For example, we deploy tens of service instances that have the same names, but are deployed each one to a separate namespace. So not having the Kubernetes namespace here means that trying to find out which one corresponds to what is very slow and painful.

While you do surface labels, they are only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Azure ML WorkBench & Model Management with Azure Data Bricks

Hi Team ,
    We have a client who is using Azure Data Bricks for Data Prep and ML Modelling . They are interested in Realtime predictions , Model Management and Containerization of these model to maintain version control on models and also take care of Dev and Prod instance .
    So we thought of recommending Azure Data Bricks with AML Model Management and Workbench but we found in one of the blogs that this feature with AML WB , Model Management is not compatible with Data Bricks yet but will be available in future .
    So can you help us…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Turning up Equivalent Azure of your onsite Infrastructure.

I have been spending a lot of time with some of my customers to develop equivalent cost of using Azure. The number of options that are available and the combinations that are possible is just too many.
    I was wondering if, for Tier 2 apps, you may like to explore an Idea, where Azure environment asks leading questions and takes input in terms of CPU/RAM/Storage/Platform/DB instances and displays up equivalent infrastructure in Azure and related costs. Call it something like "Azure Genie".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow multiple audio layers encoding

I am wanted to use azure to convert the mp3 file to different mp4 files each with a specific audio bitrate but the encoder produced only one layer. This way I shall use many presets and many jobs and more reserved units and more time to prepare each audio.
    I propose you allow different aaclc codecs to be encoded in one job.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support automatic start/stop a SQL Server Extended Event

Typically, it's required to capture extended event data at a specific frame to track a issue, for instance when a performance issue happens, start that XE session. It's possible to provide a configuration to automatic start/stop a SQL Server Extended Event

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Reserved Instance Benefits should also be applicable to Customers running Azure Stack

Reserved Instance Benefits should also be applicable to Customers running Azure Stack in Consumption Model

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add JWT validation to the form-based editor in Azure API Management

It'd be nice to add JWT validation policies in the form-based editor in API management. Editing the XML and knowing the magic syntax can be a little cumbersome.

So for instance, I'd like to set the JWT signing key variable at the "All Operations" level of my API in a form-based editor. Then I'd like to see that property being persisted in the single operation-based editor, where I could then add other JWT specific policies such as enforcing claims.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Be able to add machines to an availability group.

It would be nice to be able to move machines into an availability group without having to rebuild the instance. For example, a machine built as a POC which is migrated to production without rebuilding the entire machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. reservation notes

add a notes field for reservations so we can track the reservation history and assignment

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. why dont we have constraint vCPU applicable for reserved instances ?

why dont we have constraint vCPU not applicable for reserved instances for SQL Server and Virtual Machines ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Reservations

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base