Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Kinect DK

Azure Kinect DK is a developer kit and PC peripheral with advanced artificial intelligence (AI) sensors for sophisticated computer vision and speech models. It combines a best-in-class depth sensor and a spatial microphone array with a video camera and orientation sensor—all in one small device with multiple modes, options, and SDKs.

You can also learn  our collaboration and triage process here: https://github.com/microsoft/Azure-Kinect-Sensor-SDK/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has been released. It appears that the packages for 18.04 LTS do not work properly on 20.04 LTS. It would be great if Azure Kinect DK can be supported on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS too.

145 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  64 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Legacy Body Tracking (like Kinect v2!!)

Lets face it.. using machine learning for body tracking is cool and exciting, but we all miss the speed, efficiency, and reliability of the good old Kinect v2 body tracking.

You don’t need an expensive gaming rig to run Kinect v2 body tracking, it isn’t riddled with latency, it runs way faster and is often more accurate.

Azure Kinect body tracking currently uses a DNN model to derive the skeleton, the Kinect v2 uses a ‘random forest’ model.

Here are 7 reasons why we need a legacy ‘random forest’ body tracking option on the Azure Kinect:

1) SPEED
    When you…

214 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for 30 series RTX

Please add support for the 30 series nvidia GFX cards.

Right now body tracking does not work at all.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please provide a Visual Inertial Odometry (VIO) method to get position and orientation of the camera

It is very important for vision application (robotics, mobile tracking) to provide a VIO (visual inertial odometry) method in order to get position and orientation of the camera.
    All the hardware components are already embedded in the Kinect Azure (IMU, depth camera, color camera), it would be a shame not to use them.
    All the competitor already provide such feature with the SDK of their depth cameras (intel realsense, Zed stereo-camera) and a lot of AR mobile development kit also (ArKit, ArCore,...).
    Do you plan to develop such feature ?

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  9 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fully articulated hand tracking and classifiers for hand states.

Please provide a classifier for the hand states (at least for 'open' & 'closed' hands) for each hand. Of course, other hand and finger poses may be added as well. A hand state classifier would provide good means for interaction with virtual objects and UI elements.

This suggestion is referring to the unfinished part of this (now closed) feature request: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/920053-azure-kinect-dk/suggestions/38154784-hands-support-in-body-tracking

158 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please allow for macOS support. ( should be minimal port from linux ).

I have been trying the linux install instructions on macOS.

It seems that most steps in CMake work, but the DepthEngine is Windows/Nix only.

Would be amazing if you could release the DepthEngine for macOS.
    The rest should be achievable by the community / via Pull Request etc.

A huge number of our community ( openFrameworks ) would make good use of macOS support.

Thank you!
    Theo

253 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  83 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Audio Direction of Arrival / Sound Source Localization to the Sensor SDK

Similar to what was already suggested here, but prematurely declined: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/920053-azure-kinect-dk/suggestions/38328904-add-sound-source-localization-tracking-separatio

The Microsoft Speech Devices SDK does not provide low-level access to audio direction of arrival (DoA) required for sound source localization. It would be great if the Azure Kinect Sensor SDK could provide this beam information as the old Kinect SDKs (1 and 2) provided. This should be surfaced as a continuous stream of the direction of audio arrival in the horizontal plane (0 - 360 degrees).

This information would open up a ton of useful applications for the microphone array in conjunction with body tracking, e.g., for interactive…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. External hw trigger with custom frequency

Hello,

I need to build a prototype system with a Kinect capturing images on request at very low but non-constant frequency, ~1Hz +- 50%. In other words the capture frequency will be always in the range [0.5 - 1.5] Hz.

I see that the sensor can be configured with external trigger through the jack port but from the sdk documentation looks like the allowed frequency is constrained to be 30, 15, 5 fps.

...is there any workaround to have the sensor capture single images exactly on command at a different rate?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Want to purchase

Hello, would love to be able to purchase the Kinects. When will it be available?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  hardware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please start selling the Azure Kinect in Canada

We would like to develop on the Azure Kinect for our research projects in Canada and were wondering when the product will be available for purchase in Canada. Hopefully soon, I don't understand why it can be bought in the States but not in Canada.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  hardware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Baby body tracking support

Azure Kinect body tracking currently doesn't work with babies(especially newborns).
    If it works, we can use it in use-cases like monitoring babies for safety and supporting baby's health care.

Please consider to update Azure Kinect body tracking DNN models for baby body tracking.

Thank you.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Person detection and tracking from a top view angle

Is the Azure able to detect and track people in a top down view?
    I need to use it in a dark room setting so color information will not be available

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please support RTX 30XX cards

or update your system requirements for the Kinect (Body) SDK !!!!!!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Body tracking for head first postures

I am starting my master thesis on detecting a gymnastic routine (parallel-bar), However, for now, as soon as the shoulders are below the hips, the body is not detected anymore. Which is needed for e.g. a handstand.
    I would like to change that and retrain the deep neural network by providing the needed data. Can I somehow participate and improve the .onnx file?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Kinect data on GPU with `gpu::GpuMat`, `ogl::Buffer`, `ogl::Texture2D`, or OpenGL handles

Add access to Kinect data via cv::gpu::GpuMat, ogl::Buffer, cv::ogl::Texture2D, and/or OpenGL handles to keep data on GPU and greatly reduce GPU<->CPU memory churn for image processing, computation, etc. As I so far understand the codebase, almost all work by this SDK codebase is done on the CPU. (depthengine is not part of this SDK codebase)

For the same reasons that depth engine is written for GPU usage...our apps need to use the GPU. Developers on tiny industrial platforms up to workstations need the Kinect data to stay on the GPU to scale across the variety of computing platforms. Forcing download…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  1 comment  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Release a V2 with integrated body tracking

In light of the long-running discussions about body tracking latency, as well as the request for the prior Xbox Kinect body tracking algorithms to avoid the difficulty of using a GPU in every system, the only complete solution is to integrate the CUDA cores and some RAM into the sensor. This would allow direct communication between the sensors internal processor and the CUDA array, without the delay of routing through the computer; this will both reduce latency and remove the requirement for a discrete GPU in the computer. And, this will finally enable the 'killer app' feature of the sensors:…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  hardware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Best compatible GPU for body tracking?

Which is the best Nvidia GPU currently supported by the body tracking SDK? I tried with an RTX 3070 but the program gets stuck on creation of the tracker object unless I run it in CPU mode (which works but is slow). Upon searching online, I found out that this is a common issue with the RTX 30 series card. Before I buy a new card, I just want to make sure it's compatible.

Body tracking SDK: v1.0.0
    Nvidia Driver version for 3070: Tried with both 455 and 460

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  body tracking sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. ARM Support for Linux

Support the Azure Kinect Sensor SDK for Linux on ARM on NVIDIA Jetson Nano or similar embedded dev platforms.

165 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Body Tracking without cuDNN

The Body Tracking use cuDNN and a powerful gamer PC with an NVidia wheras KInect 1 and 2 worked on simple core I3 / core i5 laptop years ago.

Any chance to have a workaround with a lighter skeletal tracking ?
    It seems also the skeletal tracking is less accurate

106 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  13 comments  ·  hardware  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Body track sdk on Ubuntu16.04

I find that the ubuntu18.04 is the only supported distribution, could you provide the distribution for Ubuntu16.04?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Kinect DK

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base