Azure Kinect DK

Azure Kinect DK is a developer kit and PC peripheral with advanced artificial intelligence (AI) sensors for sophisticated computer vision and speech models. It combines a best-in-class depth sensor and a spatial microphone array with a video camera and orientation sensor—all in one small device with multiple modes, options, and SDKs.

You can also learn  our collaboration and triage process here: https://github.com/microsoft/Azure-Kinect-Sensor-SDK/blob/develop/CONTRIBUTING.md
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please allow for macOS support. ( should be minimal port from linux ).

I have been trying the linux install instructions on macOS.

It seems that most steps in CMake work, but the DepthEngine is Windows/Nix only.

Would be amazing if you could release the DepthEngine for macOS.
    The rest should be achievable by the community / via Pull Request etc.

A huge number of our community ( openFrameworks ) would make good use of macOS support.

Thank you!
    Theo

226 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  72 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ARM Support for Linux

Support the Azure Kinect Sensor SDK for Linux on ARM on NVIDIA Jetson Nano or similar embedded dev platforms.

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Python support

Let developers use Python on Windows and Linux to build machine learning applications based on Azure Kinect more easily.

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. UWP Support

Enable UWP applications to get access to the Azure Kinect Sensor data.

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  11 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please provide a Visual Inertial Odometry (VIO) method to get position and orientation of the camera

It is very important for vision application (robotics, mobile tracking) to provide a VIO (visual inertial odometry) method in order to get position and orientation of the camera.
    All the hardware components are already embedded in the Kinect Azure (IMU, depth camera, color camera), it would be a shame not to use them.
    All the competitor already provide such feature with the SDK of their depth cameras (intel realsense, Zed stereo-camera) and a lot of AR mobile development kit also (ArKit, ArCore,...).
    Do you plan to develop such feature ?

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  9 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Kinect DK Unreal 4 Support

Support for Unreal 4 would be greatly appreciated, even if it is something as a curious pass. Unity is easy and all, but shouldn't be the only one to get your attention.

I myself have gotten body tracking to work in UE4, but I'm like an amateur trying to scuba for the first time in an underwater cave. Conversions to drive a virtual body turn out to be something that is beyond me. On the flip side, so long as I'm not asking for direct rotations, my little plugin works fairly well.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. No microphone access available in API recorder (k4arecorder).

There is no ability of your API recorder to record video and audio simultaneously from this camera. Whether or not another program can separately access the microphones through DirectShow or WASAPI is irrelevant. If it's not natively synced with the video through the API recorder then it doesn't matter, especially with multiple cameras, where that desynchronization will only compound. What's worse, is that the relevant programming for synchronous microphone access is available across platforms on the viewer, but is not mirrored in the recorder. What's the point if we can't even record audio and video together?

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. IMU example or API

Please provide SDK API or at least example how to get the device rotation and change in position, according to the raw IMU data coming from device.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support Azure Spatial Anchors

Given how these two features were marketed together, and conceptually work together in an obvious way, it's very surprising that the Azure Kinect DK doesn't work with Azure Spatial Anchors.

We were counting on this for our product when the technologies were first announced. Disappointing to see spatial anchors only work on phones.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Adjustable MJPG compression

The MJPG is the fastest format for our works, the problem is the file size, as it said in the sdk (k4atypes.h)
    "Each MJPG encoded image in a stream may be of differing size depending on the compression efficiency."
    But, for now, we can't adjust the compression factor, it would be very helpful to integrate a simple method to make adjustable the compression of the MJPG format.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Azure Kinect Andriod Support

Azure Kinect Android Support. There are a number of fitness devices that could leverage body tracking but those run on Android based devices today and would have to re-platform to leverage Kinect.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Kinect data on GPU with `gpu::GpuMat`, `ogl::Buffer`, `ogl::Texture2D`, or OpenGL handles

Add access to Kinect data via cv::gpu::GpuMat, ogl::Buffer, cv::ogl::Texture2D, and/or OpenGL handles to keep data on GPU and greatly reduce GPU<->CPU memory churn for image processing, computation, etc. As I so far understand the codebase, almost all work by this SDK codebase is done on the CPU. (depthengine is not part of this SDK codebase)

For the same reasons that depth engine is written for GPU usage...our apps need to use the GPU. Developers on tiny industrial platforms up to workstations need the Kinect data to stay on the GPU to scale across the variety of computing platforms. Forcing download…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Websocket sample code

Provide a code sample to perform websocket streaming of video stream. This sample was in the very old kinect SDK and a good kickstart to play mix kinect and web

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hololens unity3d support

streaming the live colored mesh created by Azure Kinect device using the unity3d hololens application

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Replay recordings directly to sensor

Currently the replay API supports the direct access to captures. For integration test purposes, it would be beneficial if recordings could be replayed "directly" to the sensor, i.e. as if the recording was coming directly from the sensor, much like the KStudioClient and KStudioPlayback for KinectV2.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please: Implement a scanning app like was done for the Kinect2 as well as a way to extract 8bit gray scale maps from the 16 bit png files

I've posted this on the Developer Forum and was advised to post here:

I wish there is a high bandwidth pipe between Customer voice and the Development teams at AzureKinect
    More on the (logical) request here:
    https://github.com/microsoft/Azure-Kinect-Sensor-SDK/issues/782#issue-496770279

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Spatial Capture

We have customers who would like us to be able to capture very high-fidelity 3D scans of architecture / real estate.
    This would be used to preview / sell the spaces to customers who are unable to physically visit the locations.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hololens 2 build of Kinect SDK (with depth information) and its Body Tracking SDK

I need to reconstruct the point cloud on Hololens 2, but it appears that there are no UWP ARM64 builds available for the Azure Kinect SDK and its Body Tracking SDK. Please do make them available ASAP.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need-feedback  ·  0 comments  ·  sensor sdk  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The Depth Engine for older version of GLIBC

The Depth Engine for Ubuntu requires GLIBC 2.27 which is not available in my distribution (OpenSUSE 42.3). Is it be possible that there will be a Depth Engine for the older version of GLIBC?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Debian Stretch and Buster

Can I please request support on Debian Stretch and Debian Buster?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Kinect DK

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base