Azure Spatial Anchors

Welcome to Azure Spatial Anchors. Azure Spatial Anchors empowers developers with essential capabilities to build spatially aware mixed reality applications.

Please see our product documentation or ask questions of the community on Stack Overflow.

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Spatial Anchors?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Use ARFoundation instead of ARKit/ARCore plugins

Unity has created ARFoundation for creating cross platform mobile AR apps, which makes it easier for developers to do so. However, Azure Spatial Anchors seems to rely on the ARCore/ARKit plugins in Unity.
    It would be great if either:
    - developers could choose what framework they want to use;
    - or that ARFoundation was supported.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/12/18/unitys-handheld-ar-ecosystem-ar-foundation-arcore-and-arkit/

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show a list of all the created anchors in a webpage

Show a list of all the created anchors in the Azure Spatial Anchors console for easier debugging/management.

Allow them to be deleted/managed from the portal on Azure.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow to use Azure Spatial Anchor API in C# for Hololens projects.

Currently Azure Spatial Anchor API only support C++/WinRT for Hololens projects.

It would be nice if we can consume this service from C#. As far as I known, all classes are not managed C++ classes, so we cannot use it from a C# project.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Storing Spatial Anchors to the Edge and not Cloud

Storing Spatial Anchors to the Edge and not Cloud. Such as a local persistence service for faster and guaranteed retrieval when located outside a network/mobile location.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please add additional details about the use cases you are looking for? For example, are you just looking for a way to save an Anchor locally on a single device? Or to save it on the service from one device, and then later be able to download it onto different devices? How many anchors at one time do you anticipate needing to download from the service to the local device?

6. Support downloading of pointcloud into authoring tools(like Unity) for offline alignment

It is extremely important to make it possible for application developers to download the feature points(point cloud) and import into authoring tools like Unity, so that we can do the alignment (with virtual objects) there. If Microsoft do not want to expose the point cloud, you may make your own format and provide the Unity plugin(for visualization) accordingly.

In general, one of the most important 'next step' for Azure spatial anchor is providing plugins/tools in Unity for making the XR development easier.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support to ARCore/Sceneform 1.8.0

The current version (1.0.2) of spatial anchors for Android doesn't support the latest version of ARCore (1.8.0). I've tried to update the sample app [https://github.com/Azure/azure-spatial-anchors-samples] ARCore version from 1.5.0 to 1.8.0 and the anchors are never located and the same happened in my POC application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Problems running Unity examples on Android and iOS

Been testing the Unity examples on current Android and iOS devices; all compile and run, but with different issues. Android can't seem to get a live video feed; iOS can successfully run the Basic demo (store/retrieve anchor) but crashes running the sharing ones.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Azure Spatial Anchors on the Azure Stack

On-prem Azure Stack with HoloLens features like spatial anchors is critical for adoption.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Diagnostic session should (also) be done through Feedback Hub

All app developers should not need to add some diagnostic submission UI and functionality just for ASA. That's exactly what Feedback Hub is for

I do like that the debug logging is available in the API though

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Anchors appearing in different locations having same objects

Same Special Anchors are appearing in different locations having similar objects placed in the scanning place. Suppose I have saved one anchor at one place suppose having a bottle placed there. If different place having same bottle, same anchors starts appearing. Is this default behaviour? what if I need the anchors to appear on the same place only and not on different place even though it has similar objects placed there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. ARFoundation integration -- so close!

We've gone ahead and written the integration with ARfoundation. We're so close, and everything seems to be wired right, but iOS crashes when we create the cloud anchor session (cloudAnchorSession = new CloudAnchorSession) and Android crashes when we try to call cloudAnchorSession.Start()
    Once it hits the native plugin it crashes with no warnings.
    We've null checked the heck out of everything. Session is fine, session pointer is not null.
    I'm sure ya'll are busily working on the next update -- if you get ARFoundation working at all, we could desperately use a fix, our project is quite in the lurch…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unity AzureSpatialAnchorsLocalSharedDemo on Android

Hi, I'm trying to run the AzureSpatialAnchorsLocalSharedDemo on a Pixel and although I get it running and manage to get the camera feed, once I reach the step to tap on a surface to place an anchor nothing else happens. The app doesn't add any object. I would appreciate some guidance on how to make this work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Unreal Engine Examples

I'd love to have some examples for working with Spatial Anchors in Unreal Engine 4.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cross platform example with multiple different holograms

An example that demos how to display different holograms (rather than cube primitive) at several different anchors would be great with cross-platform sharing! If users could populate a drop down menu with objects of their choosing, select the object, then create the anchor where they placed the object it would really make an impressive illustration with users on hololens, iOS, and android at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Spatial Anchors

Feedback and Knowledge Base