How can we improve Azure Governance?

Allow more rich symbols while using Match in Policy definition

I am using Management groups and wanted to roll out multiple naming policy.
I have various clients hence thought of a consistent manner to support and organize Resource groups/Resources in a consistent way. i.e <Cleint>-<Prod/Dev>-RGP-<Name>.
So it would sort out like
CL1-PROD-RGP-MyFirstRG
CL1-PROD-RGP-AnotherOne
CL2-DEV-RGP-NNNN
CL3-PROD-RGP-aaa

but unfortunately found that match could not support a symbol which would represent letter or number in same symbol. Details can be seen in the closed feedback thread on the following page.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-policy/scripts/allow-multiple-name-patterns

It would really help enforce a consistent naming convention.
Not sure how fast help can arrive from MS?

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Omer Zubair shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex IP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both Hélder and Anon mentioned this, but Regex would be ideal.

Like Omar, I am currently trying to write a policy that checks for patterns with alphanumeric characters. I also need to check for an optional suffix, both of which the existing 'match' clause isn't powerful enough to handle.

If Regex isn't supported, my guess is that the Policy team will continue seeing several requests for Regex-like 'match' features, which will waste everyone's time.

• Hélder Pinto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Match pattern is almost useless for naming convention enforcement, unless you have a convention that enforces a specific number of characters for each naming parcel. If Regex - the best solution - isn't possible, at least allow for wildcard symbol (*) in match pattern policies.

Feedback and Knowledge Base