Azure Governance

Azure Governance is a portfolio of platform capabilities that helps customers address the need for control at scale without sacrificing developer agility. This includes services like Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph & Management Groups.

More details about the services are available in the Azure Governance documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow.

Products that we listen to in this space include: Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph, Azure Subscriptions and Azure Management Groups

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Policy - Support for RegEx in Match Conditions

Right now, the "Match" and "notMatch" conditions only support # for digit placeholders and ? for letters. This is okay, but it would be much more useful to support regex expressions. This would needed for define complex naming policies and tagging standards.

107 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  20 comments  ·  Azure Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Automatic Remediation of deployIfNotExists templates

What it says on the tin... deployIfNotExists should have an option to automatically remediate the issue by deploying the appropriate resources. (and/or automatically creating and running the remediation task)

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Policy based on industry governance/compliance frameworks

It would be helpful to take some of the control mapping from blueprints against industry frameworks such as PCI-DSS/NIST/etc and allow you to report compliance against those controls for each of the Azure services that exist in your environment.

Integrating something like cloudsecurityalliance.org control matrix or unifiedcompliance.com would be very helpful.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Azure Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When Unassigning an Azure Blueprint Provide Option of Removing Blueprint Created Resources

Since a Blueprint has the ability to create multiple resources in Azure it should also have the ability to clean up those resources. Think of it as the same as deleting a ResourceGroup deletes all resources in the ResourceGroup.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Azure Blueprints  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Resource Graph to target all subscriptions or a management group

Currently, the Resource Graph API expect a list of subscription IDs to be passed in as part of the request body. This is very troublesome when you need to query all subscriptions in a tenant or a management group. Please add support for allowing wildcard for the subscriptions value i.e. "*", and extend the support for management groups.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Use Search-AzGraph to find Resource Groups and MetaData

For faster and more complex queries I need to find Resource Groups using Graph. E.g. show me all Resource Groups with tag X across my tenant. Looping through 200 subscriptions is very time consuming. Also hope that it will allow more complex queries comparing resource tag values to Resource Group tag values.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to query for DNS Zones CNAME type in Azure Resource Graph

I am able to filter out resources by provider (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network') and higher-level types (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network/dnszones'). However, not all resource types are supported by Resource Graph. For example, DNS Zone record types aren't supported. I would like to get a response for a query like this one:

az graph query -q "where type =~ 'microsoft.network/dnszones/cname'"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base