Azure Governance

Azure Governance is a portfolio of platform capabilities that helps customers address the need for control at scale without sacrificing developer agility. This includes services like Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph & Management Groups.

More details about the services are available in the Azure Governance documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow.

Products that we listen to in this space include: Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph, Azure Subscriptions and Azure Management Groups

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to export Blueprint

Ability to export Blueprint and utilise in another tenant would save extreme amount of man hours replicating them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Azure Blueprints  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Within a Blueprint, allow for the creation and RBAC of Resource Groups based on an array

Suppose I have a standard set of Resource Groups that I want to be created for each subscription - think of them as team names for the sake of this example).

Within the ARM template, I have a variable (using parameters) containing an array of team names I want to create.

Within the blueprint, I want to be able to enumerate over this array and create the RG's using variable substitution to adhere to a naming convention. Each RG then having a consistent set of RBAC applied.

After triggering the BluePrint, I would have the confidence that the subscription exactly…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support Optional Blueprint Parameters

Currently, all Blueprint Parameters require a value to be entered. Please support optional parameters for Blueprints. There are numerous use cases for this:

• Deploy a VM standalone or in an Availability Set.

• Add additional tags to resources.

• And so on...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Create AAD Groups with Blueprints

How about an ability to add AAD users or groups to the current AAD tenant with Blueprints? Blueprints are currently aimed at subscription level, but how about extending this to the whole tenant?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow Deny Assignments for Existing Resource Groups

Allow Deny Assignments for Existing Resource Groups - Currently deny assignments with Blueprints is only allowed for new resources. It would be really helpful if the same feature can be applied to existing resource groups.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Exclude resource groups and/or resources when deploying a blueprint like you can with policy assignments under policy.

Exclude resource groups and/or resources when deploying a blueprint like you can with policy assignments under policy.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Granular locking of resources.

Need the ability to have more granular locking of resources. Specifically being able to lock a VNET/subnet, but allow creation of NICs on the subnet so that users can attach to the subnet, but not modify an VNET/subnet configuration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Azure Blueprints loose blueprint level dependencies when edited in UI

This is a bug... when you set up dependencies in blueprint.json they are removed if you subsequently edit the blueprint in the UI.

1. Create blueprint in UI

2. Export with AzBlueprint, set up dependencies and import

3. Export again, dependecies are still there

4. Edit in UI

5. Export, dependencies are gone

The dependency management is not a great experience at the moment, it needs to be visible in the UI, also, I the documentation should be updated to clearly state if you can make one resource group dependent on another rather than making them dependent on artifacts in another resource group.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Function to get the properties of the assigned blueprint definition

It would be useful when you could get (with a function) the properties, like the version or name, of the blueprint definition during an assignment.
    This way you could for example use this information in ARM artifact the information to tag the resources which a created by the blueprint assignment with the name and version number of the blueprint definition. So you would see directly form which blueprint definition and which version a resource was created.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support conditions on artifact level

It would be very nice when conditions attribute can be set on a artifact like it could on resources in an ARM template. So it would be possible to deploy or not deploy artifacts based on parameter inputs or outputs from an ARM.
    Example use case:
    Blueprint creates a vNet and an AKS cluster. Then you configure an ingress controller on AKS and after that a new NSG should be deployed which locks down the vNet so only the LB of the Ingress Controller is reachable. This can be done by update the blueprint assignment and specify a parameter like…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure Blueprints  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Python SDK support

Create a Python SDK for Azure Blueprints. Blueprints are an amazing service, and allow Azure to be directly competitive with AWS's services like Landing Zone, Control Tower, and their Account Vending Machine. Unfortunately, the lack of Python support will prevent many of the customers who are not traditional Microsoft shops from adopting this service.

Please develop a Python, and Node, SDK!

Thank you

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure Blueprints  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow customer to use Terraform or ARM Templates with Blueprints

Most of my customers are using Terraform to deploy resources to Azure. Extend Blueprints to accept a .tf script as an artifact.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Blueprint Parameters Validation

Currently the only Blueprint Parameter validation properties that are accepted is "defaultValue" and "allowedValues". Please add the following that are supported by ARM Template Parameters and would provide a much better experience for an Blueprint Assigner:

• minValue

• maxValue

• minLength

• maxLength

More information about the above properties can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-authoring-templates#parameters

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add additional strongTypes for Blueprint

Please add the following strongTypes that are supported by Azure Policy:

storageSkus
    vmSKUs
    existingResourceGroups
    omsWorkspace

Additionally, I would like the following:

existingVNETs - displays existing Virtual Networks
    existingVNETSubnets - displays exiting VNET Subnets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PCI DSS 3.2.1 BluePrint

1- After creating a blueprint by using the new PCI DSS 3.2.1 one, I've seen that the it has only the following which I believe is not the complete list. Is this an issue or it's due to being still Preview?
    Deploy Threat Detection on SQL servers
    Require encryption on Data Lake Store accounts
    Allowed locations
    Deploy Auditing on SQL servers
    Deploy SQL DB transparent data encryption
    Allowed locations for resource groups

2- Will this blueprint provide guidence on what Azure Resources should used for PCI DSS Compliance? As an example the previous blueprints page was stating that ASE (App…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Blueprints do not create managed identities for deployifnotexist policy initiatives

Currently Azure Blueprints can assign policy initiatives but do not properly create the managed service identity for deployifnotexist policy definitions within the initiative. This needs to be corrected as that is basic functionality of a policy initiative assignment. The managed identity is created correctly if directly assigning the policy definition outside of an initiative.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Deploy Custom RBAC Role via Azure Blueprint

It would be a nice feature to add Custom RBAC Role as a Azure Blueprint Artifact. Deploying custom RBAC roles currently is painful and packaging them in an Azure Blueprint would allow for a less painful and much more standarized way of deploying custom RBAC roles.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Azure Blueprints  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have Azure Blueprints that are published at the Management Group level visible at the Subscription Level

In Azure Blueprints definitions, as a user, if I select an Azure Subscription I want to see any Blueprints that have been assigned at the Management Group levels above the subscription as well as the Subscription Blueprint definitions.

This would provide a better view of the Blueprints that are available to be deployed in that Subscription.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. subscription transfer process

Subscription Transfer process
    I lost my blueprints after the subscription transfer.
    I understand RBaC perms are lost but still don't understand why my Blueprints had to disappear as well.
    This has happened twice.
    Microsoft advised that resources will remain the same but that's not the case.
    Are Blueprints assigned to a resource group and subscription different?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow a Blueprint or ARM Template Item timeout limit to be set

I have a Blueprint defined which has a purpose of provisioning a complete infrastructure but it is timing out due to one of its components being an ASE.

The overall template is based on the ISO 27001 foundation as supplied by MS but does a few other tings too, including deploying an Application Service Environment.

It all progresses nicely to a point - the components are all there and the ASE is undergoing provisioning however, it eventually throws an error with:

'Template' failed to deploy. Exceeded maximum wait time of '02:00:00'. Message: 'Deployment didn't get into terminal status within the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base