Azure Governance

Azure Governance is a portfolio of platform capabilities that helps customers address the need for control at scale without sacrificing developer agility. This includes services like Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph & Management Groups.

More details about the services are available in the Azure Governance documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow.

Products that we listen to in this space include: Azure Policy, Azure Blueprints, Azure Resource Graph, Azure Subscriptions and Azure Management Groups

How can we improve Azure Governance?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support query Virtual Machines by state

Ability to query Virtual Machine resource type by state of the VM.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Visualize Resource Graph in PowerBI

I can today make querys and export to visualize in Power BI. It would be nice to somehow easier connect from Power BI to Resource Graph to visualize Resources.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Ability to query for any resource type in Azure Resource Graph

I am able to filter out resources by provider (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network'), higher-level types (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network/dnszones'), and some level-2 resource types (e.g., 'Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions'). However, not all resource types are supported by Resource Graph. For example, DNS Zone record types aren't supported. I would like to get a response for a query like this one:

az graph query -q "where type =~ 'microsoft.network/dnszones/cname'"

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to retreive subscription name given subscriptionId in Resource Graph Query

Resource graph queries are great at returning SubscriptionId. But a GUID is unfriendly. Provide a function or means for retrieving the subscription display name. For example:

where type contains 'publicIPAddresses' and properties.ipAddress != ''
    | summarize count () by subscriptionName(subscriptionId)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support history for resources

For scenarios where we need the resources to be synced into an external store, we want the history so that I don't need to scan all the resources again.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow Resource Graph to target all subscriptions or a management group

Currently, the Resource Graph API expect a list of subscription IDs to be passed in as part of the request body. This is very troublesome when you need to query all subscriptions in a tenant or a management group. Please add support for allowing wildcard for the subscriptions value i.e. "*", and extend the support for management groups.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure Resource Graph  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Use Search-AzGraph to find Resource Groups and MetaData

For faster and more complex queries I need to find Resource Groups using Graph. E.g. show me all Resource Groups with tag X across my tenant. Looping through 200 subscriptions is very time consuming. Also hope that it will allow more complex queries comparing resource tag values to Resource Group tag values.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to query for role assignments in Azure Resource Graph

Please add support for listing all role assignments

Resource Type: Microsoft.Authorization/roleAssignments

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/templates/microsoft.authorization/2017-09-01/roleAssignments

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to query for custom role definitions in Azure Resource Graph

Please add support for listing all custom role definitions

Resource Type: Microsoft.Authorization/roleDefinitions

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/templates/microsoft.authorization/2017-09-01/roledefinitions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add the possibility to query resources child objects

The resource graph query is limited to ARM resources, it would be very useful to add the ability to query the child objects of a resource.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to query for DNS Zones CNAME type in Azure Resource Graph

I am able to filter out resources by provider (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network') and higher-level types (e.g., 'Microsoft.Network/dnszones'). However, not all resource types are supported by Resource Graph. For example, DNS Zone record types aren't supported. I would like to get a response for a query like this one:

az graph query -q "where type =~ 'microsoft.network/dnszones/cname'"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show Kusto query in Resource Graph (as per Log Analytics)

In the same way that Log Analytics displays the Kusto query when filters are applied, it would be great if Resource Graph could do this too so the queries could be saved and used via API calls, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide description of type

Provide a way to get a description of each type in the resource graph, much like the first "Type" field (display name of resource type) in the "All resources" pane in the Azure portal

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow more than 100 items to be exported in azure resource graph

Allow more than 100 items to be exported in azure resource graph
    If a limit is needed, 100 seems a bit small

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Meter Category/Service Name in resource graph

The category type Meter category, which is available at billing modul is not available at resource graph.
    It is only the resource type category available, that is not the same as meter category.
    So it is not possible to make billing queries in billing modul and compare this with counts from resources in resource graph.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to query arrays without specifying an index

Please introduce new operators like all_of() & any_of() for array members query.

Today I have to specify an index if I want to query alertRules with a specific property value, ie:

where type =~ 'microsoft.insights/alertrules'
    | where properties.actions[0].sendToServiceOwners == "true"

I would like a way to query if any or all items in the array are matching

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure Resource Graph - Caputure users/owners info for all resource types

It would be great to add ability to capture the user/owner information for all resource types in Resource Graph. Currently, for a lot of resource types, e.g., Machine Learning Services Workspace, etc., the user/owner information is not available in the resource graph. Which is a critical information a lot of customers are looking for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support queries for Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets/virtualMachines

Customers would like to get all the virtual machines across different types.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base