Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Data Explorer

1. Batch database delete

We would like the ability to delete all databases in a cluster that match certain criteria, for instance all databases created before a certain date/time.

Scenario: We keep a cluster for tests that either create databases directly or exercise product code that creates databases. For various historical reasons most tests don’t clean up on teardown. Periodically we reach the limit of 10,000 databases and have to purge. Lately we have greatly increased the frequency of our tests, so we are hitting the limit quite often. If we had a runner that could batch delete DBs older than, say, 12 hours,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Consolidate what day you consider as the first day of the week between startofweek() and week_of_year()

When using both of the startofweek() and weekofyear() functions, you will notice that they each consider a different day as the first day of a given week. startofweek() uses Sunday as the first day of a week, and weekofyear() uses Monday as the first day of a week (the number between weeks increases.) Can we make both of these functions be the same?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Color pallette for 'render' operator

I have orange for successes and blue for failures in my barchart. It's vomit-inducing.

Everyone in my team when they see this asks me "Can we change the colors?"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Comment out a row

I would like to temporarily be able to comment out a row, but I cannot find the syntax for commends, I have tried -- and %

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export dynamic columns as Parquet struct or array in addition to JSON

For external tables in parquet (and ORC) format dynamic columns currently exported as JSON. They could be consumed by Hive/Spark/etc. However querying data from JSON columns is tricky and pretty slow.

Parquet format supports LIST and MAPs data types which describe an internal structure, make querying much easier (column.field instead of json_value(column, '$.field') and improve performance a lot.

Please, support extra options in the with clause or mapping to define an expected structure

Export dynamic columns as Parquet struct or array in addition to JSON

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add a way to clear out the Ingest Queue from the customer side

Currently if you queue up a large number of files for ingest, and it backs up, there is no way to clear out the ingest queue without reaching to customer service. This can be a problem if your doing a large backfill of data or onboarding a large amount of data.

I propose that a way be developed to clear out the the ingest queue in cases where you want to cancel an ingest.

Secondarily it would be nice to be able to view the queue itself so that you can view what is actually queued up and how long…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support query_parameters specification

query_parameters provides a nice declaration of ways a query might want to scoped/configured, but there is now direct support in Azure Data Explorer.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-explorer/kusto/query/queryparametersstatement

Attempts to use a query without defaults results in error. Query can be made to work by setting the defaults to values desired, but that obviates the intent.
    Further, dashboards (preview) don't allow mixing query_parameters with parameters, but that may be more of a query language issue?

Example:
    1. unexpected syntax
    declare queryparameters (starttime:datetime = ['startTime']);
    2. endTime is not a literal
    let endTime = ['
    endTime'];
    declare query_parameters (endTime:datetime = endTime);

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support aggregation functions to operate on arrays, sets and lists

I would like to do something like that to compute the median of values in an array:

print percentile(dynamic([1, 2, 2, 3], 50)

This is currently only possible by using mv-extend, which is very tricky when you have many such aggregations with different collection sizes in a single query.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Set Tab Label in ADX Web UI Deep Link

Add a query parameter that can be used to set the label of the tab created in the ADX Web UI when constructing a deep link.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [Need Help] Render piechart only shows percentage, not absolute value.

How to show both percentage and absolute value when rendering a piechart.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Manage Dashboards by powershell or web api

Currently, maintaining dashboards is cumbersome, because it cannot be automated.
    For example, if I have the same query across n dashboards (different parameter sets). When the query needs an update, I don't want having to make the same change n times. I wish to manage my dashboards via code (preferably powershell), rather than WebUI.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add more functionality to map visualization and make map a choice for the render command

It would be great if we could render a map along with a column chart, bar chart, etc. in Kusto. Currently, the map is only available as a dashboard tile. Also, it would be great if we could set some options on the map in the dashboard. Currently, there are no options. I'd like to be able to control bubble size and color, choose the zoom level and location at which the map first displays and have different display options for the underlying map itself (e.g. road, satellite, etc)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Will ADX be adding support on column level data encryption and dynamic data masking

Right now,
    ADX supports data encryption, but they're at the service and infra levels

The data in the database table can still be seen if the user has permission to check it, so not sure if ADX will be adding support on column level data encryption and dynamic data masking

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow markdown/multi-line strings in docstrings

We are trying to use docstrings to document dynamic columns with known structure. Rendering new lines will be helpful.

Also it will be really helpful to allow hyperlinks (or full markdown) so we could point users to external documentation site

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add possibility to set postfix for joined columns

When joining tables, it would be nice if it were possible to specify what postfix to add to right-side table columns that overlap with left-side columns. Currently "1" is postfixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. .WithAadManagedIdentity(managedIdentity) method not available in Kusto.Data .NET library Nuget Package

The documentation for the KustoConnectionStringBuilder class here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-explorer/kusto/api/connection-strings/kusto#aad-based-authentication-examples described a method called .WithAadManagedIdentity() which is to be used as follows:

// Recommended syntax
    var kustoConnectionStringBuilder = new KustoConnectionStringBuilder(serviceUri).WithAadManagedIdentity(managedIdentity);

But the .NET Framework library for Kusto.Data does not contain the definition for this method. I'm using the v7.1.1. of the Kusto.Data Nuget Package.

I'm currently having to rely on the .WithAadApplicationKeyAuthentication() KCSB method, which requires creation of an AAD App registration, and the use of an application key explicitly. This explicit use of an application key (even when placed in a key-vault) is being flagged on Service 360 as a source…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable Kusto-operators to be aware of the external storage computational capabilities

In scenarios like data virtualization it might be useful to make relevant Kusto-operators aware of the underlaying storage capabilities.
    It could be useful to leverage the computational capabilities of external storage for operations like column projections, predicates, aggregates and push the operation down to the external storage layer. This might speed up extremely large queries on top of the existing indexing and partitioning features.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make a 3d polyfit

In my case, I have 1 variable that is dependent on 2 other variables (z= ax + by + c, so a plane). Any idea about this multi-fits, including the visualization?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base