Azure Data Explorer

1. Provide an option to Disable and Enable existing connections for ingestion.

Provide an option to Disable and Enable existing connections for ingestion.
    This option would help to experiment with different connections without spending extra time to delete and create the connection every time you want to enable / disable the connection to start and pause the ingestion from a particular connection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. add function sort_array(), where it can accept result of make_set() or alike.

The idea is to invoke to string on the sorted array and then summarize by resulting dimension or compare columns knowing that same sets would match.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. JavaScript query library

I wish the Node query SDK was written with isomorphic JavaScript so it could be used from a web browser too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add AllDatabasesMonitor role

I’d like to be able to give a user or app the Monitor role for any database created on a cluster that I own. In the portal, I see that I can give AllDatabasesAdmin or AllDatabasesViewer. Can we please get a similar way to provide Monitor to all databases that get created on the cluster?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Set metadata when creating files in Azure Storage

It would be nice if the commands which create files in Azure Storage - .create external table and .export to - had some additional 'with' parameters which allowed metadata to be set in the resulting blobs. For example, a compressed JSON file could have content-encoding set to 'gzip' and content-type set to 'text/javascript'.

This would help us with an application where we use ADX to down-sample and export data to Storage, which is then directly consumed by client web browsers. Browsers will automatically un-compress files with the appropriate content encoding, and respect cache headers.

If we could have options to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Custom Code Ingest

When ingesting files only the supported formats are possible. In order to ingest other files you have to convert them first. It would be great to get the ingest data as byte array or stream and then process it inside C# or Python. The result would be a DataTable / DataFrame that gets ingested in the end.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. totimespan() should parse ISO8601 formatted timespans

Strings in ISO8601 timespan format are not being converted.
    For example:
    totimespan("PT0.517S") returns null.

We are storing duration timespans with that format and now have to do our own string parsing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add shortcuts for panel management

I use kusto with accessibility software and shortcuts are important to be able to navigate the ui without needing to use a mouse. You have a lot of wonderful shortcuts already, but I would like to request that you add some for:
    1) Closing an active panel (potentially one that you opened like the filter panel)
    2) Resizing a panel (Both up down and left right). I believe Visual studio code has shortcuts like this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add filename metadata to be added Event Grid Subscription from Storage options

Currently I use Event Grid subscription from Storage to ingest into Kusto. I can manually use Python SDK and orchestrate the ingestion and get the filename added as a column. However, if I want to use the native ingestion capabilities of the Event Hub, I cannot add the filename as metadata to the ingestion. It currently only supports filesize but not filename. By allowing filename, it allows us to tie the data ingested to file that contains the issue. I would rather let the Event Hub/Grid orchestrate the ingestion of thousands/millions of files without having to rely on a script…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. React

Create a React module which would directly embed this Explorer into the custom web application

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatically merge small parquet files (with same table) that are put in ingestion queue

We have a lot of parallel processes that each output small parquet files. The tables are the same for the different processes. We want to batch ingest all the data in these files, but have found that enqueueing them all (using KustoIngestClient.ingestfromblob) takes a long time (up to 30k blobs). Note that this is not the ingestion time, but just the time it takes to queue the files for ingestion. It would be convenient to have a function that could take a list of blob files that all contain data destined for the same table, merge them into…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Queued Export operation

We can use QueuedIngestClient or ingest from Blobstore to let Kusto ingest data based on cluster's capacity.

The number of export slots slots is also limited to number of core, so we should have the same capability to queue export operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add user identity/alias to ".show database journal" for better troubleshooting

Current command ".show database <db-name> journal" provided audit information about the changes being made.

It'd be nice if we can see the owner of some specific action. For example, a user run an Azure Function for some jobs, journal only provides information about Principal and User which are duplicated. If we can show the userId/alias under User column and which application they run. That'd provide better details for audit and troubleshooting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add logging for Update Policy so we can capture ingestion failures

There are 2 steps in the ingestion process that we have configured on our cluster.
    The first step is to ingest the data into the cluster – This is done by the Data Management node and this step is getting completed successfully. The second step is to run Update Policy on the data that is ingested into the raw tables – This is done by the Engine node and this is where we are receiving the failures. With the current design in Azure Data Explorer, only the failures that are reported by Data Management node are being sent to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Create a Function to convert string Hex to Int

Kusto currently has a tohex() function, but there is no way of getting an int out of a hex string. Currently, if I am trying to decode '0c' into an int I have to make custom functions.
    This is very common in radio communication and IoT devices so I would really appreciate some functionality around this.

Regards,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Restrict viewing Function definition from Database Viewers

Currently there is no way to hide function definition from Database Viewers.

We would like to have this feature as we have created some internal functions to alter the row level security for all the tables present in Kusto Cluster and we don't want to view these function definitions by users with role "Database Viewers".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enumerating all the databases that a function hits

I’m trying to use an app to call a kusto function. I keep running into permission issues because as I add my app id to the database that needs it, I find out that the function references another database, when I add permissions for that, I find out there is yet another database that I need to get permissions for.

Would love a way to get the list of all cluster/databases that a function will reference so that I can get the required permissions in one shot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Equivalent of collations in Kusto, will be useful for comparison like case sensitive vs case insensitive search

SQL service provides the configuration of how the comparision can be configured at database level and can be used dynamically in query also using collations.

What is the equivalent of collations, this will be useful in case i want to perform case senstive search or case insenstive search in a query

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. "Returns the value of a column in a row that it at some offset following the current row in a serialized row set."

"Returns the value of a column in a row that it at some offset following the current row in a serialized row set."
    Please rewrite this sentence. In its present form it fails to make sense.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base