Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Data Explorer

1. Record tables accessed in .show queries

I’d like to get a summary of table usage and query costs compared against extent size and ingest costs, for use in value vs. cost discussions and for targeting table or workflow optimizations.

With “.show tables details” for extent size and “.show commands” for ingest costs, the only piece I am missing here is the ability to link information from .show queries to the tables that were accessed. I understand the text of each query is present, but parsing that to determine a list of tables accessed is nontrivial and becomes really problematic given the use of stored functions (which…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Invoke a function from another database

Currently I can only invoke a function if it is in the same database. I would like to invoke functions in other databases (and ideally in other clusters.) There are two main use cases:
    1) We have some useful helper functions that use the invoke pattern. We have to copy them to all of our databases.
    2) When doing .set-or-append commands, I'm stuck if my query involves a an invoked function on database A but I want the results written to database B.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Time weighted Avrage

A time weighted Aggregation are needet because ussaly IOT data are compressed, this mean, if the values are not changing, no new entrys are transmitted.

A normal avg will get errors.

Also it will be nice, if this Aggregation is also avaible in make series command.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to stop/start a cluster with a private endpoint

Too many extra steps needed to stop and start a cluster when a private endpoint is configured. Please make it easier to improve user experience.

1. Delete the Private endpoint
    2. Delete the private link
    3. Stop the cluster
    4. Wait until it’s in Stopped state
    5. Start the cluster
    6. Recreate Private Link and Private Endpoint
    5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Capability to show the data label on the ADX dashboard charts

In some osscations showing the exact number is important, just seeing the chart visualization is not sufficient; need the capability to show the exact number on the chart.

Current work-around would be create a separate table side-by-side to the chart, which is not very elegant and intuitive

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Color customization for ADX Dashboard

Choosing the contextual color would be critical in certain occassions to make the dashboard meaningful and intuitive

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More robust window functions

The current windowing functions need to be improved. The Kusto language needs an equivalent of the SQL Server ROWS PRECEDING statement. This would make calculating rolling metrics such as the average much more straightforward. For example, you may want a metric that is a four-week average every week. Currently, there is no easy way to produce that in the Kusto language.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a role for Function Admin

We need an ability for a principal to only manage functions in our cluster and want it to be assigned an admin role just for that. It should have ability to alter/delete other tables in teh database. Currently the only supported role for this is "Database admin" which gives too many permissions. With Database User this principal can create and alter functions created by itself only and not functions created by other principals in the database, which is what we are looking for. To workaround this we had to add admin for each and every function in our database explicitly…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.

I want to wipe out all code in Kusto DB so that I can install new ones from source controls. The reason behind delete everything logic is I do not want unreferenced functions to exist if they are removed from source control repo.
    Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.
    Better yet, allow Azure Data explorer Command in Azure Pipelines to drop multiple files

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add the ability to alter configuration properties (like SKU, node count) when resuming a cluster

when resuming an existing cluster via the Azure portal, I would like to be able to update configuration properties, like setting a new number of nodes, and a new SKU.

Currently, it is required to wait for the cluster resume operation to complete, and only then is it possible to alter such configuration properties

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Wing to Wing Data Validation from Data Connections

Provide validations from the data source connections into ADX. For example the #rows/files/events that are pushed through an Event Grid/Event Hub/Blob can account for holistically if there is a problem within the data connection. As there are either errors from the Event Hub or Grid but does not correlate to the data streaming into ADX. If the Event Hub or Grid fail it never makes it to ADX to identify if there is a failure in capturing the data through the data connection. Need wing to wing validation and error logging for the full data connection on all data into…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Configure retention of ingestion failures

We can look at ingestion failures by ".show ingestion failures".
    Today, the retention of ingestion failures is set to 14 days. It would help to have the possibility to set the period to a value different than 14 days.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Will ADX support table level permission

Right now, there're only 2 defined roles at table level, admin and ingestor

Will ADX add more roles like viewer, etc.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. AT TIME ZONE command for KQL

We are looking for feature parity with languages like T-SQL when it comes to a DST-aware timezone offset command (in SQL's case, AT TIME ZONE). Our ideal scenario involves combining a timezone value (e.g. America/Toronto) with a datetime and having Kusto calculate the DST-aware result.

Submitted on behalf of Borjan Babic @ Acies AI

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide short circuit evaluation on "or" and "and" operators

The logical operator page (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-explorer/kusto/query/logicaloperators) says nothing about whether the operators support short-circuit evaluation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-circuit_evaluation). If it does support it, it would be great to be added to the documentation. If it doesn't support it, it would be great to either support it, or at least add in the documentation that it isn't supported.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. [Share Dashboards] Provide ability to provide access to dashboards to everyone in the org

I have to individually add emails of each person I want to give the access to. It is very frustating as people keep getting added to the email threads and I need to keep track of it for access

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create WebControl for Dashboards

Create a web control in the dashboards where you can paste HTML/JS that can render data individually but gets data from adx query like other controls

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Plugin "Load from ADX" in Kepler.gl

Create a plugin to support loading data into kepler.gl based on kusto queries. The editor like it is in the ADX WebUI would be great!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add support for combining multiple .show command queries

With .show commands it is easy to get meta data to data or operations. Unfortunately it is not possible to combine multiple .show commands in one query. One Scenario would be to show the row count distribution overt time for multiple tables in a single chart

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base