Azure Data Explorer

How can we improve Azure Data Explorer?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. allow metadata (to specify Service Tree attribution) at the database level

Several teams share clusters which makes assigning the streams challenging and they go to the cluster owner/creator vs the actual DB or table owner. We need a way to assign DBs to individual services so we can allow more granular service attribution. I know metadata can be done at a table level but that's too granular. We need it at a DB level as well. This scenario is important for GDPR and data governance as there are teams who are shying away from registering their shared clusters so they do not get all the action items assigned to them

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. tableifexists or other way to query if a table exists (without access to . control commands)

There appears to be a "columnifexists" function that allows for queries where a column might not exist. But there doesn't seem to be a similar way to check if a table exists? (without having access to .show tables, etc)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Autocomplete on categorical string column values

Let's say that your table has a column called SomeColumn that only has 10 different possible string values. Then, I think it would be useful to have autocomplete when trying to do a string match:

SomeTable
    | where SomeColumn == '[Show autocomplete options]

This would avoid having to do a "distinct" operator to figure out the values and then copy that value into another query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support .create-or-alter external table

.create external table command causes an error if the table already exists. This is inconvenient for automated deployment. Would be nice if -create-or-alter was supported!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Supply syntax to use Service-specific schemas no general the Top-level diagnostic logs schema

Can we supply syntax to use the [Service-specific schemas](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/diagnostic-logs-schema#service-specific-schemas-for-resource-diagnostic-logs) template for specific Azure services, not general the [Top-level diagnostic logs schema](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/diagnostic-logs-schema#top-level-diagnostic-logs-schema). I don't want to type each column property with `project operator` all the time. Is it possible?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a new function to convert a base64 string to a dynamic array of 0-255 values

Currently there is a function to convert a base64 string to utf8 string i.e. base64_decodestring. However if there is no valid string output, that function fails and returns nothing.

e.g. print base64_decodestring("igAAAAAAAACDAAAAACAAAA==")

There are cases where we need a byte representation of a base64 string. Having a function like base64_decodearray that gives a dynamic array of 0-255 values allows us to get that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Feedback and Knowledge Base