Azure Data Explorer

1. Invoke a function from another database

Currently I can only invoke a function if it is in the same database. I would like to invoke functions in other databases (and ideally in other clusters.) There are two main use cases:
    1) We have some useful helper functions that use the invoke pattern. We have to copy them to all of our databases.
    2) When doing .set-or-append commands, I'm stuck if my query involves a an invoked function on database A but I want the results written to database B.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include function call stack trace in query error messages

Picture this scenario: you are calling a Kusto function but get a syntax error. But where is the syntax error coming from exactly? The error message doesn't say. You inspect the code for the function only to find references to other functions inside, and the way to know which one of those is the culprit is to run them one by one. And then each of those functions might be calling other functions too!
    Wouldn't it be nice if the error message told you the exact function where the error is happening from?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Downsampling data over time

As data ages, storage and query could be further optimized by down sampling the data. There should be a process or method to provide an aggregate query that could run on data older than X time. Example: My database retention is 365 days and i ingest 3 samples per minute. After data is 31 days old i can provide a query that will aggregate by MAX value over 1 minute. After 90 days, another aggregate runs that finds the Max value over 5 minutes. Raw data is of course deleted after aggregate runs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Time Discrete view for power bi.

We use ADX as time series DB and
    a BI dashboarding tool (power bi)

But BI don't like non Discrete time events, no calculations are possible, and the Bi aggregation are calculated not correctly (group by, avg)

If we have a time discrete view , every BI tool will work very lovely.

Comment:
    Make series are nice, but will not work , because it's in the pipelines before power bi, and the query optimizer will fail, an calculating a make series for all our 3 million device's an than lock to the power bi where time and device filter.

Maybe…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Operator to support optimized time window join

Would be great if the pattern documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/kusto/query/join-timewindow could be its own operator. I use this pattern semi-frequently, and always have to look up the example on the docs site to implement it correctly, would be handy to have it encapsulated as a supported operator

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow Coloring of Rows

I had a quick question about row coloring, as I’ve seen this happen for some rows which highlight error / warning. Is there a way for someone to add their own color scheme to a table result based on some column values of the row? Say if a column contains some particular text, mark that row red etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow database settings on follower cluster to be different to the lead cluster.

Currently when a database is attached to a follower cluster, it inherits the name and cache settings from the lead cluster.

Please allow the database name to be different, as this can help where multiple lead clusters across different environments have the same name.

Would be nice to be able to set this in the AttachedDatabaseConfiguration constructor, along with the cache policy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Scheduled Jobs

We are utilizing ADX to stream data from event hubs. This is awesome because we can get a large amount of data with very little work.

The challenge, is that we sometimes want to "aggregate" multiple (like 100s-1000s) events into summary style tables. We could use ASA or other tools, but it would be really nice to have the ability to schedule jobs in ADX. That way we can keep all of the work close to the data (rather than extract it out and then put it back in)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Homepage with Deployed Build Changes

Last week (Dec 20), we were unfortunately hit by an ADX production change that broke our ingestion processes for quite a few hours. Luckily the change was rolled back.

It would be quite valuable to have some place that listed the changes that are deployed against ADX whenever that build is released. That way we can see what might have happened.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide option to change the default settings like Sort By order, Join type

By default ADX sorting order is descending. The join type is InnerJoinunique. It would be great if we can change this through user configuration. Any one coming from SQL server to ADX, the transition will be easier if we apply similar settings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Record tables accessed in .show queries

I’d like to get a summary of table usage and query costs compared against extent size and ingest costs, for use in value vs. cost discussions and for targeting table or workflow optimizations.

With “.show tables details” for extent size and “.show commands” for ingest costs, the only piece I am missing here is the ability to link information from .show queries to the tables that were accessed. I understand the text of each query is present, but parsing that to determine a list of tables accessed is nontrivial and becomes really problematic given the use of stored functions (which…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More datetime functions

There are basic datetime manipulation functions, but there should be many more. For instance, make_datetime() modifies the format of a current datetime object, but there is no function to specify the format of a string that should be a datetime. So if the month and day are not in the expected order, the string can't be parsed. Additionally, the date functions assume that the dates are in UTC, rather than allowing the user to specify that a date is in another time zone. Time zone conversions that account for daylight savings time, etc are needed. It should have all of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include more node memory details for E_LOW_MEMORY_CONDITION errors.

When a query or command fails with one of the ELOWMEMORY_CONDITION errors, please include information about the node's memory consumption at that point in time. How much was allocated to the current query, to other queries and commands, and how much was remaining available. I think it could help with the diagnostics of such errors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Local Query (like dgrep)

Oftentimes a kusto query will return a time-intensive, large dataset. If I then need to tweak my query, I'll have to execute it in its entirety once again. dgrep avoids this problem with a muti-tiered query system; server-side and local.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. .show functions gives the detail of function available in database If this can be extended for getting usage metrics like how many time fun

.show functions gives the detail of function available in database
    If this can be extended for getting usage metrics like how many time function invoked in last 30 days. Might be helpful.

.show functions usage -d 30

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to create user defined functions accepting variable # of arguments

Some Kusto built-in functions accept a variable number of arguments, like:

print strcat("foo", "bar")
    print strcat("foo", "bar", "baz")

Please add the ability to create user-defined functions that accept a variable number of arguments as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support 0 as number of minimum node of cluster

We sometimes use this query engine once a day or so. We want to avoid manage start up node. it's fine to it takes to start up and load data time and hope Azure Data Explorer support "0" (Zero) number as minimum cluster node.
    We want to get OPTION for that...

Similar Services- Azure Machine Learning Services - AmlCompute.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure data explorer ingesion: json mapping only in single line

I’m ingesting data to Azure Data Explorer from Logstash and figured out a feature that makes uncomfortable to use.
    If I put ‘enter’ between query, it occurs syntax error.
    (e.g. .If I write [create table sampletable
    ingestion json mapping ‘samplemapping’ (…)], it doesn’t work. If I write with one line, it works with no error)

If it fixed, it will be very helpful to introduce ADX to customers :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. correlate kusto ingestion failure with status queues

Currently, kusto ingestion calls don't return success or failure immediately. We need to query the status queue. If we have a lot of updates happening, there needs to be a way to relate success or failure to ingestion request.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Plugin support for the desktop application

It would be great if there were a way to add a plugin to the desktop version of Kusto Explorer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base