Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Data Explorer

1. Ability to run a function using Kusto cluster managed identity

This would help querying external resources like SQL. Kusto cluster managed identity could be given access to SQL, and then if function querying SQL using Kusto cluster managed identity, function callers would be able to run that function even if they don't have access to SQL.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please support Spark 3.0 with Scala 2.12 with the spark-kusto-connector.

We want to use the newest spark version 3.0 within our projects, which only runs on the Databricks Clusters with Scala 2.12. Unfortunalty the spark-kusto-connector does only support Scala 2.11.

We run into the following errors if the spark-kusto connector is used in the wrong Databricks Cluster Runtime:

Failed to find data source: com.microsoft.kusto.spark.datasource. Please find packages at http://spark.apache.org/third-party-projects.html

or

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: scala/Product$class

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Linux-compatible Desktop Support / Kusto VSCode Extension

Kusto Explorer fails on Linux with WINE due to issues with unsupported urlmon/wininet/IE interactions; A desktop client for Linux would save me a huge amount of pain from dealing with browser quirks and insufficient editor capabilities.

If possible, please just make a VSCode extension with schema, highlighting, and completion support, with the ability to query and visualize. This would provide cross-platform support and allow users to extend functionality themselves.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. timespan should have a literal for years (e.g. 1y)

timespan should have a literal for years (e.g. 1y) to make date math simpler.

For example, I currently have to do this:

| extend PercentageUsedPerYear=round(todouble(dPercentageUsed)*((365d/1h)/dPowerOnHours),2)

it would be nicer if I could use (1y/1h) instead.

this expression is part of a query I am building to project the service lifetime of a flash device which is hopefully > 4y ;-)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support parameter being used on parameter query.

I have one parameter for the environment ID. Upon entering/selecting it, I want my other parameter which is based on a query result to be changed, so I show only a subset of options based on the 1st parameter.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support setting value of parameter based on line selected in one of the results.

This will allow drill-down. My top result grid has all the occurrences of some error. Upon clicking on it, I want another result grid to show all related events for that error only.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Display formatted numbers

There should be a toggle somewhere to display formatted numbers -- i.e., add thousands separators.

I query over lots of things with large numbers in Azure Data Explorer and getting back a result that says "12133712" makes it hard to notice that it's about 12.1 million, not 121 million or 1.21 million. If this were displayed as "12,133,712" it would be so much easier to tell!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Enchance project-reorder to allow reverse-ordering

I often need to move one or two columns to the back of the table, but using project-reorder operator with a wide table will require listing all the other columns first, even if I don't care about their specific order.
    It would be nice to have a parameter to specify that I'm setting the reverse order of columns, i.e. from the back, so the referenced column(s) will be the last, and all others will remain where they are.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow manual connection string for Data Ingestion / Data Connection

When selecting a database --> data ingestion --> add data connection, it does not allow you to type in the iothub / event hub name and associated connection settings. It requires you to select from only the subscriptions you have access to. When interacting with multiple subscriptions or even Azure Gov Cloud, this is a limitation.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. support cross-tenant query

I need to join data from two clusters which belong to different tenants I have access to. Would be great if kusto could support that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Provide an option to Disable and Enable existing connections for ingestion.

Provide an option to Disable and Enable existing connections for ingestion.
    This option would help to experiment with different connections without spending extra time to delete and create the connection every time you want to enable / disable the connection to start and pause the ingestion from a particular connection.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. add function sort_array(), where it can accept result of make_set() or alike.

The idea is to invoke to string on the sorted array and then summarize by resulting dimension or compare columns knowing that same sets would match.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. JavaScript query library

I wish the Node query SDK was written with isomorphic JavaScript so it could be used from a web browser too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Set metadata when creating files in Azure Storage

It would be nice if the commands which create files in Azure Storage - .create external table and .export to - had some additional 'with' parameters which allowed metadata to be set in the resulting blobs. For example, a compressed JSON file could have content-encoding set to 'gzip' and content-type set to 'text/javascript'.

This would help us with an application where we use ADX to down-sample and export data to Storage, which is then directly consumed by client web browsers. Browsers will automatically un-compress files with the appropriate content encoding, and respect cache headers.

If we could have options to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom Code Ingest

When ingesting files only the supported formats are possible. In order to ingest other files you have to convert them first. It would be great to get the ingest data as byte array or stream and then process it inside C# or Python. The result would be a DataTable / DataFrame that gets ingested in the end.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. totimespan() should parse ISO8601 formatted timespans

Strings in ISO8601 timespan format are not being converted.
    For example:
    totimespan("PT0.517S") returns null.

We are storing duration timespans with that format and now have to do our own string parsing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add shortcuts for panel management

I use kusto with accessibility software and shortcuts are important to be able to navigate the ui without needing to use a mouse. You have a lot of wonderful shortcuts already, but I would like to request that you add some for:
    1) Closing an active panel (potentially one that you opened like the filter panel)
    2) Resizing a panel (Both up down and left right). I believe Visual studio code has shortcuts like this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add filename metadata to be added Event Grid Subscription from Storage options

Currently I use Event Grid subscription from Storage to ingest into Kusto. I can manually use Python SDK and orchestrate the ingestion and get the filename added as a column. However, if I want to use the native ingestion capabilities of the Event Hub, I cannot add the filename as metadata to the ingestion. It currently only supports filesize but not filename. By allowing filename, it allows us to tie the data ingested to file that contains the issue. I would rather let the Event Hub/Grid orchestrate the ingestion of thousands/millions of files without having to rely on a script…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. React

Create a React module which would directly embed this Explorer into the custom web application

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatically merge small parquet files (with same table) that are put in ingestion queue

We have a lot of parallel processes that each output small parquet files. The tables are the same for the different processes. We want to batch ingest all the data in these files, but have found that enqueueing them all (using KustoIngestClient.ingestfromblob) takes a long time (up to 30k blobs). Note that this is not the ingestion time, but just the time it takes to queue the files for ingestion. It would be convenient to have a function that could take a list of blob files that all contain data destined for the same table, merge them into…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base