Azure Data Explorer

1. Invoke a function from another database

Currently I can only invoke a function if it is in the same database. I would like to invoke functions in other databases (and ideally in other clusters.) There are two main use cases:
    1) We have some useful helper functions that use the invoke pattern. We have to copy them to all of our databases.
    2) When doing .set-or-append commands, I'm stuck if my query involves a an invoked function on database A but I want the results written to database B.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Supply syntax to use Service-specific schemas no general the Top-level diagnostic logs schema

Can we supply syntax to use the [Service-specific schemas](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/diagnostic-logs-schema#service-specific-schemas-for-resource-diagnostic-logs) template for specific Azure services, not general the [Top-level diagnostic logs schema](https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/diagnostic-logs-schema#top-level-diagnostic-logs-schema). I don't want to type each column property with `project operator` all the time. Is it possible?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a new function to convert a base64 string to a dynamic array of 0-255 values

Currently there is a function to convert a base64 string to utf8 string i.e. base64_decodestring. However if there is no valid string output, that function fails and returns nothing.

e.g. print base64_decodestring("igAAAAAAAACDAAAAACAAAA==")

There are cases where we need a byte representation of a base64 string. Having a function like base64_decodearray that gives a dynamic array of 0-255 values allows us to get that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add ".update" management command to allow correct wrong ingested data

When data gets wrongly ingested into ADX, it very hard to correct this data afterwards. -> I know ADX is a append-only store.

Let's say a sending machine had issues with daylight saving time and all data is shifted and after some days, it gets recognized and the machine is sending correct values. There is small slice of data, which needs to be aligned.

Or some properties where wrongly set over some time. Same as above.

Currently, we use the ".purge" command and re-ingest the data, which leads to a wrong "ingestion-time". Another option is completely re-ingest the data into…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Include function call stack trace in query error messages

Picture this scenario: you are calling a Kusto function but get a syntax error. But where is the syntax error coming from exactly? The error message doesn't say. You inspect the code for the function only to find references to other functions inside, and the way to know which one of those is the culprit is to run them one by one. And then each of those functions might be calling other functions too!
    Wouldn't it be nice if the error message told you the exact function where the error is happening from?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support drop all functions in a db.

Please provide an easy way to drop all functions in a db.

this does not work:
    ".drop function <| .show functions"

The currently proposed workaround from the Kusto Team does not appear user friendly:

a. Run the following command

.show functions
    | summarize run_me_with_caution_after_carefully_reviewing = strcat_array(make_list(strcat(".drop function ['", Name, "']")), "\n")

b. Copy the result and save as a script (text file)
    c. Use Kusto.Cli to run the `script`
    d. [hope your team members don’t get mad at you. or me. If anyone asks – a) I had nothing to do with functions getting unintentionally dropped; b) they can be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support 0 as number of minimum node of cluster

We sometimes use this query engine once a day or so. We want to avoid manage start up node. it's fine to it takes to start up and load data time and hope Azure Data Explorer support "0" (Zero) number as minimum cluster node.
    We want to get OPTION for that...

Similar Services- Azure Machine Learning Services - AmlCompute.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Azure data explorer ingesion: json mapping only in single line

I’m ingesting data to Azure Data Explorer from Logstash and figured out a feature that makes uncomfortable to use.
    If I put ‘enter’ between query, it occurs syntax error.
    (e.g. .If I write [create table sampletable
    ingestion json mapping ‘samplemapping’ (…)], it doesn’t work. If I write with one line, it works with no error)

If it fixed, it will be very helpful to introduce ADX to customers :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. correlate kusto ingestion failure with status queues

Currently, kusto ingestion calls don't return success or failure immediately. We need to query the status queue. If we have a lot of updates happening, there needs to be a way to relate success or failure to ingestion request.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Integration with Azure portal dashboard. Create a tile in portal.azure.com that queries a kusto cluster.

I'd like to be able to create a dashboard on the Azure portal that executes kusto queries against any kusto cluster. Today, you can pin any azure monitor kusto query to the dashboard. I'd like to do the same for my own kusto cluster.

There is a feature to export to Power BI, but it would be great if there was integration Azure portal as well

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to view and change data management endpoint SKU from Azure Portal

Currently it's required to create a support ticket in order to change the data management endpoint SKU when there is a need for scaling the ingestion through event hub to a database table in ADX. The ability to view and change the endpoint scaling from the portal would be a great feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Permissions by views

I would be useful to be able to restrict specific users to only be able to access data to a specific view
    (without direct access underlying tables). This could enable use to limit specific users access to time series data for a specific period or specific equipment.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mapping EventData properties during Event Hub ingestion

When configuring a JSON Ingestion Mappings pre-created on a table, we couldn't map and access Properties which are set by Event Hub service in the EventData.SystemPropertiesCollection structure of each received message. These Properties are:
    • PartitionId
    • SequenceNumber
    • Offset
    • EnqueuedTimeUtc

But also we could have to map any custom properties that we want to store in the same collection when sending messages to event hub.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Plugin support for the desktop application

It would be great if there were a way to add a plugin to the desktop version of Kusto Explorer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable functions to return multiple tables

Functions today can only return one table. It would be really helpful if functions were able to return multiple tables to facilitate parallel queries.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. project wildcard support

It would be great if we could provide wildcard support for the project statement. This would be helpful in prioritizing certain columns visually (i.e. column 'x' first, column 'y' second) while still accommodating for the dynamic nature of Kusto function output.
    When creating functions in KQL you typically end up with dependencies which cause a version of one function to return more \ different columns than before. Right now, for me to reorder columns I would need to project them all individually - and when versioning functions this can have a huge trickle-down effect that causes a bunch of unnecessary…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method not available in .NetStandard library

In Kusto.data Nuget for .NET framework WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method is available in KustoCOnnectionStringBuilder class.

However this is missing from .NetStandard Nuget library.

Can this be added?

Eg:

KustoConnectionStringBuilder($"https://{serviceName}.kusto.windows.net") .WithAadUserPromptAuthentication(authority);

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide out of the box resource governance for Kusto clusters

Our Kusto cluster is used for production site and tools and needs to have 99.99% availability. However, as our cluster is open to tens of thousands of users across the company for ad-hoc queries, we often suffer from unexpected cluster wide outages due to misbehaved customers. We have tried both cluster-wide query limits as well as customized approaches, however, neither is helping us much. We would like to see Kusto to provide the resource governance solution out of box.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base