Azure Data Explorer

1. Kusto explorer app: Ctrl+F in result view shall support search for "10:27:33"

The search function (Ctrl+F) in the Kusto explorer desktop app shall support queries like "10:27:22" to ease search in log file like contents

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Record tables accessed in .show queries

I’d like to get a summary of table usage and query costs compared against extent size and ingest costs, for use in value vs. cost discussions and for targeting table or workflow optimizations.

With “.show tables details” for extent size and “.show commands” for ingest costs, the only piece I am missing here is the ability to link information from .show queries to the tables that were accessed. I understand the text of each query is present, but parsing that to determine a list of tables accessed is nontrivial and becomes really problematic given the use of stored functions (which…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Mobile phone support

1. Make the web UI work on Android Chrome as first priority
    2. When accessing from phone, adjust the UI to be suitable for small screen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. More datetime functions

There are basic datetime manipulation functions, but there should be many more. For instance, make_datetime() modifies the format of a current datetime object, but there is no function to specify the format of a string that should be a datetime. So if the month and day are not in the expected order, the string can't be parsed. Additionally, the date functions assume that the dates are in UTC, rather than allowing the user to specify that a date is in another time zone. Time zone conversions that account for daylight savings time, etc are needed. It should have all of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Include more node memory details for E_LOW_MEMORY_CONDITION errors.

When a query or command fails with one of the E_LOW_MEMORY_CONDITION errors, please include information about the node's memory consumption at that point in time. How much was allocated to the current query, to other queries and commands, and how much was remaining available. I think it could help with the diagnostics of such errors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. .show operation details with multiple operation ids

Currently, if we do IngestionFromQuery operations using .set-or-append or .append like commands using async, we get the operation id to track the progress of the operation later on. We could get the status of multiple operations using .show operations command. But, we get the operation details of only one operation with .show operation details command. This makes us fire lot of .show operation details commands to track get the Ingestion time, rowcount of the ingested tables. It would be great if Kusto had capability to fire only one Command to get the operation details of mutliple operations like .show operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create clone of a Kusto Database.

I would like to have the capability of creating a clone of the database, where the newly created database is exactly the same as one it is cloned from (including permissions, folder structures of tables/functions, etc).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Expose row counts and data size for ingestion command in .show command

In.show commands result, show number of rows affected and data size affected, at least for ingestion command (like CommandType = DataIngestPull)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. In Kusto.Explorer default to showing query results instead of query summary

In Kusto.Explorer, after querying, it always shows the "Query Summary" window, but I only care about the "Results" tab. If I try to close the query summary, it just comes back on the next query. And if I try to dual-pane the results and query summary, the layout is reset on next query.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Azure Data Explorer vs. Time Series Insights

When do you recommend Azure Data Explorer time series capabilities vs. Azure Time Series Insights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.

I want to wipe out all code in Kusto DB so that I can install new ones from source controls. The reason behind delete everything logic is I do not want unreferenced functions to exist if they are removed from source control repo.
    Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.
    Better yet, allow Azure Data explorer Command in Azure Pipelines to drop multiple files

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Extend string operator =~ to support foreign and accented letters.

In Kusto:
    print "ÉCOLE" =~ "école" // FALSE
    print "COLE" =~ "cole" // TRUE
    print tolower("École") == "école" // TRUE
    print "SØD" =~"sød" // FALSE
    print tolower("SØD") == "sød" //TRUE

The tolower() function supports scandinavian letters 'ÆØÅæøå' and the French accented letters. But the string operator =~ does not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Local Query (like dgrep)

Oftentimes a kusto query will return a time-intensive, large dataset. If I then need to tweak my query, I'll have to execute it in its entirety once again. dgrep avoids this problem with a muti-tiered query system; server-side and local.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add something like ingestion_time() for follower databases

Our data pipeline is very sensitive to how long it takes data to arrive. The ingestion_time() feature is incredibly useful for understanding the distribution of ingestion delays for each table. Now that we're using follower databases more frequently, we don't have good insight into how long it takes for the data to be queryable from our follower database. It's something like ingestion_time() + metadataRefreshDuration... but there's no additional field that we can query to get that metadataRefreshDuration. Adding this information would give us a lot more ability to tune our pipeline to the characteristics of each situation.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. parse_ipv6

The parse_ipv4() function works well for handling ipv4...but we also deal with a lot of ipv6. It would be very challenging to implement this correctly as in Kusto Query Language in an efficient way.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. User annotations of tables, columns, etc.

Allow non-admin/author to annotate objects in the explorer pane.

The use case is a consumer of data prepared by somebody else. The consumer has only read/query access. Reality is that schema get convoluted quickly. The names of tables, functions and cols aren't self-explanatory (quite often). Worse, real example, table1.RsrcId and table2.BladeId might mean the same thing. Though, only the consumer of both tables (possibly from different clusters) would care.

Therefore, allowing users with read-only access to annotate would be instrumental. Said annotations should be share-able.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add the ability to alter configuration properties (like SKU, node count) when resuming a cluster

when resuming an existing cluster via the Azure portal, I would like to be able to update configuration properties, like setting a new number of nodes, and a new SKU.

Currently, it is required to wait for the cluster resume operation to complete, and only then is it possible to alter such configuration properties

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add the ability to set the number of nodes at cluster creation time

when creating a cluster via the Azure portal, I would like to be able to set the number of nodes, and not only the SKU.

Currently, it is required to wait for the cluster creation to complete, and only then is it possible to scale it out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Operation Text, Database to .show operations

It would be useful to be able to see all currently running commands similarly to how we can see .show running queries. I have this query which shows me the currently running operations, but it does not have the level of detail that the .show commands query returns:

.show operations
    | where StartedOn > ago(1h)
    | sort by LastUpdatedOn desc
    | summarize max(LastUpdatedOn), make_list(State) by RootActivityId, Operation
    | where list_State !contains "Completed" and list_State !contains "Failed"

Specifically, it would be useful to see the database context in which the operation was running as well as the command text associated. The…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. .show functions gives the detail of function available in database If this can be extended for getting usage metrics like how many time fun

.show functions gives the detail of function available in database
    If this can be extended for getting usage metrics like how many time function invoked in last 30 days. Might be helpful.

.show functions usage -d 30

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories