Azure Data Explorer

1. Dynamically execute a string as query

The below query will create a string that represents an executable query. I want the ability to then execute that string. This way I can dynamically generate a query based on an existing Schema.

SomeTable
    | getschema
    | where ColumnName endswith '_duration'
    | summarize Columns = make_list(ColumnName)
    // Make the query
    | project strcat('SomeTable | summarize avg(', array_strcat(Columns, '), avg('), ') by Day = startofday(Event_ReceivedTime)')

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cross-region follower support

Our main way of doing resource governance is to rely on follower databases. We have a locked down production cluster which doesn't accept any non-production workload and then if anyone else needs access to the data, we have them set up a follower database. It sounds like ADX has a single-region restriction for those follower databases and this is going to put a pretty major kink in our arch. Please consider adding this feature.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add ".update" management command to allow correct wrong ingested data

When data gets wrongly ingested into ADX, it very hard to correct this data afterwards. -> I know ADX is a append-only store.

Let's say a sending machine had issues with daylight saving time and all data is shifted and after some days, it gets recognized and the machine is sending correct values. There is small slice of data, which needs to be aligned.

Or some properties where wrongly set over some time. Same as above.

Currently, we use the ".purge" command and re-ingest the data, which leads to a wrong "ingestion-time". Another option is completely re-ingest the data into…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Provide out of the box resource governance for Kusto clusters

Our Kusto cluster is used for production site and tools and needs to have 99.99% availability. However, as our cluster is open to tens of thousands of users across the company for ad-hoc queries, we often suffer from unexpected cluster wide outages due to misbehaved customers. We have tried both cluster-wide query limits as well as customized approaches, however, neither is helping us much. We would like to see Kusto to provide the resource governance solution out of box.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. parse_ipv6

The parse_ipv4() function works well for handling ipv4...but we also deal with a lot of ipv6. It would be very challenging to implement this correctly as in Kusto Query Language in an efficient way.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Autoscale form 1 VM on Azure Data Explorer's Data Management cluster

Autoscale form 1 VM on Azure Data Explorer's Data Management cluster

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow creation of Tables & Data Maps in ARM template

It doesn't make much sense that ARM template deploy of AzDEx allows for creation of Clusters, Databases, and DataConnections when DataConnections expliclity depend on a Table and DataMap to exist. In fact the error message is simply "Bad Input" with an "Internal Server Error" if somebody mistakenly tries to do this..

DEx should be able to be fully-configurable via ARM including Tables and Datamaps so the existing capability of creating DataConnections via ARM is able to actually be used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Permissions by views

I would be useful to be able to restrict specific users to only be able to access data to a specific view
    (without direct access underlying tables). This could enable use to limit specific users access to time series data for a specific period or specific equipment.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Follow at the table level

We love the database follower feature but it would be fantastic if we could follow at a table level.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. User annotations of tables, columns, etc.

Allow non-admin/author to annotate objects in the explorer pane.

The use case is a consumer of data prepared by somebody else. The consumer has only read/query access. Reality is that schema get convoluted quickly. The names of tables, functions and cols aren't self-explanatory (quite often). Worse, real example, table1.RsrcId and table2.BladeId might mean the same thing. Though, only the consumer of both tables (possibly from different clusters) would care.

Therefore, allowing users with read-only access to annotate would be instrumental. Said annotations should be share-able.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Integration with Azure portal dashboard. Create a tile in portal.azure.com that queries a kusto cluster.

I'd like to be able to create a dashboard on the Azure portal that executes kusto queries against any kusto cluster. Today, you can pin any azure monitor kusto query to the dashboard. I'd like to do the same for my own kusto cluster.

There is a feature to export to Power BI, but it would be great if there was integration Azure portal as well

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ignore (cold) cached data

When perf testing a query, it would be useful to wipe out any cold data that has been temporarily cached on the local disk so that I can get apples-to-apples comparisons between subsequent runs. I can imagine it either being something where I just set a flag to ignore any of the cold cached data or a command that would completely wipe out any of that type of cached data. Note that I would not expect any of this to affect the standard hot cache data which always lives on the disk.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add the ability to alter configuration properties (like SKU, node count) when resuming a cluster

when resuming an existing cluster via the Azure portal, I would like to be able to update configuration properties, like setting a new number of nodes, and a new SKU.

Currently, it is required to wait for the cluster resume operation to complete, and only then is it possible to alter such configuration properties

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add the ability to set the number of nodes at cluster creation time

when creating a cluster via the Azure portal, I would like to be able to set the number of nodes, and not only the SKU.

Currently, it is required to wait for the cluster creation to complete, and only then is it possible to scale it out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Mapping EventData properties during Event Hub ingestion

When configuring a JSON Ingestion Mappings pre-created on a table, we couldn't map and access Properties which are set by Event Hub service in the EventData.SystemPropertiesCollection structure of each received message. These Properties are:
    • PartitionId
    • SequenceNumber
    • Offset
    • EnqueuedTimeUtc

But also we could have to map any custom properties that we want to store in the same collection when sending messages to event hub.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. LINQ support / Fluent Query Builder APIs for .NET and Python

The Kusto SDKs are very good, but it would be even better if instead of handling Kusto queries as strings, we could write them using a fluent query builder library. It would be awesome if Kusto supported LINQ for .NET, meanwhile for Python, a simple query builder DSL should be possible.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Row level security

Add read and write access at row level within a table

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support drop all functions in a db.

Please provide an easy way to drop all functions in a db.

this does not work:
    ".drop function <| .show functions"

The currently proposed workaround from the Kusto Team does not appear user friendly:

a. Run the following command

.show functions
    | summarize run_me_with_caution_after_carefully_reviewing = strcat_array(make_list(strcat(".drop function ['", Name, "']")), "\n")

b. Copy the result and save as a script (text file)
    c. Use Kusto.Cli to run the `script`
    d. [hope your team members don’t get mad at you. or me. If anyone asks – a) I had nothing to do with functions getting unintentionally dropped; b) they can be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base