Azure Data Explorer

1. Provide out of the box resource governance for Kusto clusters

Our Kusto cluster is used for production site and tools and needs to have 99.99% availability. However, as our cluster is open to tens of thousands of users across the company for ad-hoc queries, we often suffer from unexpected cluster wide outages due to misbehaved customers. We have tried both cluster-wide query limits as well as customized approaches, however, neither is helping us much. We would like to see Kusto to provide the resource governance solution out of box.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Data Explorer setting to display datetime values in local timezone

Can Azure Data Explorer support displaying datetime values in local timezone with a setting?
    I'm a bit tired of extending all queries by doing time arithmetic myself (e.g. | extend localT = timestamp - 8h) which is not daylight saving proof as well :)

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Push rows to EventHub

Enable pushing rows to EventHubs.
    * individual or batched messages

Example (alerting):
    * IoT data being consumed by ADX
    * An update policy is in place that checks the incoming
    * If the check fails then a notification should be sent to an EventHub
    -> picked up from there by other components

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide support to render timepivot / timeline view

The Timepivot visualization is one of the best visualizations we have come across when analyzing data across hundreds of different tables. It tells the story of “what happened” in a beautiful manner.

It helps us generates multiple different views of the “same data” by allowing us to pick multiple levels of slicing options views (in this case I have 10 slice options, so for two levels I can get about 90 different views). In addition, clicking on the cells shows the actual activity in detail.

Given that Kusto is time-optimized and practically every log has timestamps associated with them, we…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ADX as Trusted Microsoft service on firewall

Please consider to add ADX as a trusted Microsoft service on Azure Event Hubs' (or any other data source service's) firewall or publish IP address range of ingest service.
    For now, we have to deploy the cluster with VNet in order to restrict access of Event Hubs but it seems unnecessary since the traffic between Azure service is completed inside Azure network.
    This option makes it simple/easier for the users to create secure environment.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Translate IP addresses to geo coordinates

• Given an IP-Address

• There should be a native KQL function to translate the IP address to a coordinate

• This will enable the user to enrich telemetry from server/app logs with the corresponding location

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Export data from one ADX cluster to a second ADX Cluster

Add ADX as a destination for the .export capability to be able to move data from one cluster to another. This should work both for one time export and for continuous export.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method not available in .NetStandard library

In Kusto.data Nuget for .NET framework WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method is available in KustoCOnnectionStringBuilder class.

However this is missing from .NetStandard Nuget library.

Can this be added?

Eg:

KustoConnectionStringBuilder($"https://{serviceName}.kusto.windows.net") .WithAadUserPromptAuthentication(authority);

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create clone of a Kusto Database.

I would like to have the capability of creating a clone of the database, where the newly created database is exactly the same as one it is cloned from (including permissions, folder structures of tables/functions, etc).

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Azure Data Explorer to Azure Stack

Provide ability to run Azure Data Explorer on Azure Stack

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Query builder using Fluent Interface pattern in Kusto SDK

I think it would be great if you add a query builder to the SDK that uses Fluent Interface for building Kusto queries. Something very similar to how you can query SQL databases using Entity Framework.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add notifications in the portal for the upcoming deployments from the Data Explorer team

The customer is facing cluster error while running queries during the deployment/upgrade/fix/maintenance from the Data explorer team.
    It would be helpful if the Data explorer team add notifications for the upcoming deployments in the portal.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Scheduled Jobs

We are utilizing ADX to stream data from event hubs. This is awesome because we can get a large amount of data with very little work.

The challenge, is that we sometimes want to "aggregate" multiple (like 100s-1000s) events into summary style tables. We could use ASA or other tools, but it would be really nice to have the ability to schedule jobs in ADX. That way we can keep all of the work close to the data (rather than extract it out and then put it back in)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow mapping from Properties, SystemProperties collections on Event Hub data ingestion

For data ingestion connections which point to Event Hub sources, allow the mapping definitions to access the Properties and SystemProperties collections on the underlying EventData object. Presently, only the Body property is accessible - it is define as the root/$ of the path in mappings.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Include more node memory details for E_LOW_MEMORY_CONDITION errors.

When a query or command fails with one of the ELOWMEMORY_CONDITION errors, please include information about the node's memory consumption at that point in time. How much was allocated to the current query, to other queries and commands, and how much was remaining available. I think it could help with the diagnostics of such errors.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. project wildcard support

It would be great if we could provide wildcard support for the project statement. This would be helpful in prioritizing certain columns visually (i.e. column 'x' first, column 'y' second) while still accommodating for the dynamic nature of Kusto function output.
    When creating functions in KQL you typically end up with dependencies which cause a version of one function to return more \ different columns than before. Right now, for me to reorder columns I would need to project them all individually - and when versioning functions this can have a huge trickle-down effect that causes a bunch of unnecessary…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Downsampling data over time

As data ages, storage and query could be further optimized by down sampling the data. There should be a process or method to provide an aggregate query that could run on data older than X time. Example: My database retention is 365 days and i ingest 3 samples per minute. After data is 31 days old i can provide a query that will aggregate by MAX value over 1 minute. After 90 days, another aggregate runs that finds the Max value over 5 minutes. Raw data is of course deleted after aggregate runs.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide tenant level connection string

It would be awesome if there was a Tenant level connection string to show all LA/AI databases that you have access to. Similar to https://ade.loganalytics.io/tenants/<tenant-id>

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Kusto DOS outage: Allow granular throttling of kusto query requests at App or user level

In our current Kusto outages, certain apps are found to be querying too much which in turn has increased the Kusto ingestion queue increase to 100k. It would be great to have Kusto some granular controls at app or user level to limit how much querying can be executed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Have an desktop client that allows sharing of queries, i.e. integration with data studio

It would be awesome to have the capability to connect to Azure Data Explorer from Azure Data Studio so I can use one IDE for all my data style analytics.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base