Azure Data Explorer

1. Provide out of the box resource governance for Kusto clusters

Our Kusto cluster is used for production site and tools and needs to have 99.99% availability. However, as our cluster is open to tens of thousands of users across the company for ad-hoc queries, we often suffer from unexpected cluster wide outages due to misbehaved customers. We have tried both cluster-wide query limits as well as customized approaches, however, neither is helping us much. We would like to see Kusto to provide the resource governance solution out of box.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Table Level Security

Add read and write access at table level

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Geo data types and spatial queries

Natively support geo data types and spatial queries to enable geospatial analytics

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Azure Data Explorer to Azure Stack

Provide ability to run Azure Data Explorer on Azure Stack

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method not available in .NetStandard library

In Kusto.data Nuget for .NET framework WithAadUserPromptAuthentication method is available in KustoCOnnectionStringBuilder class.

However this is missing from .NetStandard Nuget library.

Can this be added?

Eg:

KustoConnectionStringBuilder($"https://{serviceName}.kusto.windows.net") .WithAadUserPromptAuthentication(authority);

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add option to ingest Azure Storage folders

It would be great if we could ingest a folder containing multiples files in Azure Storage, for example by using wildcards, instead of having to ingest all files individually.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Create New Management Function to Create Data Connections

You can script deployment of a Data Explorer cluster using an ARM template. Everything works, except data connections. This is because the validation requires target tables to exists before creating a data connection.

I suggest a new management function is created that works something like this:

.create data connection with (name="", kind="EventGrid", storageAccountResourceId="", eventHubResourceId="", consumerGroup="", tableName="", dataFormat="", mappingRuleName="")

This way I can create data connection in a .csl file along with tables, functions, policies etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. project wildcard support

It would be great if we could provide wildcard support for the project statement. This would be helpful in prioritizing certain columns visually (i.e. column 'x' first, column 'y' second) while still accommodating for the dynamic nature of Kusto function output.
    When creating functions in KQL you typically end up with dependencies which cause a version of one function to return more \ different columns than before. Right now, for me to reorder columns I would need to project them all individually - and when versioning functions this can have a huge trickle-down effect that causes a bunch of unnecessary…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Have an desktop client that allows sharing of queries, i.e. integration with data studio

It would be awesome to have the capability to connect to Azure Data Explorer from Azure Data Studio so I can use one IDE for all my data style analytics.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Time weighted Avrage

A time weighted Aggregation are needet because ussaly IOT data are compressed, this mean, if the values are not changing, no new entrys are transmitted.

A normal avg will get errors.

Also it will be nice, if this Aggregation is also avaible in make series command.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Expose total/scanned extents in .show commands-and-queries

We're using the total/scanned extents query stats to help organize our data and adjust queries for better perf. It's great that we can see total and scanned extents and rows in the query stats for individual queries, but it would be more helpful to see it across all queries. Can this be exposed in .show commands-and-queries?

"inputdatasetstatistics": {

"extents": {

"total": 1243,
    "scanned": 1243,
    "scanned_min_datetime": "2018-12-21T23:48:35.9882144Z",
    "scanned_max_datetime": "2019-11-19T19:07:38.4628229Z"
    },
    "rows": {
    "total": 10474198499,
    "scanned": 10474198499
    },
    "rowstores": {
    "scanned_rows": 0,
    "scanned_values_size": 0
    }
    },

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.

I want to wipe out all code in Kusto DB so that I can install new ones from source controls. The reason behind delete everything logic is I do not want unreferenced functions to exist if they are removed from source control repo.
    Enable deletion/drop of functions in Kusto.
    Better yet, allow Azure Data explorer Command in Azure Pipelines to drop multiple files

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Operation Text, Database to .show operations

It would be useful to be able to see all currently running commands similarly to how we can see .show running queries. I have this query which shows me the currently running operations, but it does not have the level of detail that the .show commands query returns:

.show operations
    | where StartedOn > ago(1h)
    | sort by LastUpdatedOn desc
    | summarize max(LastUpdatedOn), makelist(State) by RootActivityId, Operation
    | where list
    State !contains "Completed" and list_State !contains "Failed"

Specifically, it would be useful to see the database context in which the operation was running as well as the command text…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Follow at the table level

We love the database follower feature but it would be fantastic if we could follow at a table level.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Invoke a function from another database

Currently I can only invoke a function if it is in the same database. I would like to invoke functions in other databases (and ideally in other clusters.) There are two main use cases:
    1) We have some useful helper functions that use the invoke pattern. We have to copy them to all of our databases.
    2) When doing .set-or-append commands, I'm stuck if my query involves a an invoked function on database A but I want the results written to database B.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Downsampling data over time

As data ages, storage and query could be further optimized by down sampling the data. There should be a process or method to provide an aggregate query that could run on data older than X time. Example: My database retention is 365 days and i ingest 3 samples per minute. After data is 31 days old i can provide a query that will aggregate by MAX value over 1 minute. After 90 days, another aggregate runs that finds the Max value over 5 minutes. Raw data is of course deleted after aggregate runs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Time Discrete view for power bi.

We use ADX as time series DB and
    a BI dashboarding tool (power bi)

But BI don't like non Discrete time events, no calculations are possible, and the Bi aggregation are calculated not correctly (group by, avg)

If we have a time discrete view , every BI tool will work very lovely.

Comment:
    Make series are nice, but will not work , because it's in the pipelines before power bi, and the query optimizer will fail, an calculating a make series for all our 3 million device's an than lock to the power bi where time and device filter.

Maybe…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide option to change the default settings like Sort By order, Join type

By default ADX sorting order is descending. The join type is InnerJoinunique. It would be great if we can change this through user configuration. Any one coming from SQL server to ADX, the transition will be easier if we apply similar settings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Record tables accessed in .show queries

I’d like to get a summary of table usage and query costs compared against extent size and ingest costs, for use in value vs. cost discussions and for targeting table or workflow optimizations.

With “.show tables details” for extent size and “.show commands” for ingest costs, the only piece I am missing here is the ability to link information from .show queries to the tables that were accessed. I understand the text of each query is present, but parsing that to determine a list of tables accessed is nontrivial and becomes really problematic given the use of stored functions (which…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. More datetime functions

There are basic datetime manipulation functions, but there should be many more. For instance, make_datetime() modifies the format of a current datetime object, but there is no function to specify the format of a string that should be a datetime. So if the month and day are not in the expected order, the string can't be parsed. Additionally, the date functions assume that the dates are in UTC, rather than allowing the user to specify that a date is in another time zone. Time zone conversions that account for daylight savings time, etc are needed. It should have all of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Data Explorer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base