SQL Managed Instance

1. Make managed SQL instance able to access Azure file shares.

It would be really great if managed SQL instance can access Azure file shares. Many of our Company’s On-Prem SQL applications were using Windows file shares. We had already moved them to IaaS SQL instances.We are not able to migrate all these SQL applications to managed SQL instances from IaaS, due to inaccessibility of Azure file share from managed SQL instance.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for SQL Machine Learning Services (R Services)

The ability to work with Machine Learning (R Services in particular) is one that is a business driver. Having the Machine learning queries next to the data is something that's required. It was mentioned as being developed in the forums when MI first hit preview. What's the current status?

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Multiple read-only secondaries for reporting/geolocation dispersion (assuming business critical tier)

Having multiple read-only secondaries (possibly in other regions) would be useful for reporting-oriented instances.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide a realistic, functionally equal alternative to SQL profiler if you want to mothball it.

I would post this in "one of the categories on the right" except that they aren't visible on my mobile.

Extended events aren't a reasonable substitute for the level of detail profiler can give. I need to be able to run a program and see what queries are executed, what locks are used, etc. I don't need a representative sample or average, that's useless for troubleshooting.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support DNS aliasing of an Azure SQL Managed Instance (at least for public endpoint)

As it is already supported for Azure single SQL Database, it would be nice to be able to create an alias for the Managed Instance, especially for the public endpoint address. All clients connecting directly to the public endpoint would be able to use an alias instead of the real name of the instance. Switching instances, disaster recovery, migration scenarios would be a lot easier to handle.
    FYI, creating a public CNAME record redirecting to the public endpoint address of an MI (like instancename.public.***.database.windows.net) does NOT work : IP resolution is good, but no way to login to the instance…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Move to Standard LoadBalancer Internally

I would like to suggest that you move the platform off of Basic Azure Load-Balancer and instead use the newer Standard ALB. This will open up additional options to us such as use of Availability Zones, Geo-Replication over Peers (vs having to setup more expensive and complicated vNet to vNet VPNs). I'm not sure why you opted for the older Basic ALB over Standard (what I got back was due to cost) - but that doesn't make sense to me as Azure SQL MI isn't exactly a cheap solution anyway and most large customers who would consume it, would prefer…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Need to change being Capable to Resize the job history

SQL agent in SQL MI can keep 10 job history records per each job step and 1000 rows in total.

If MI can capable to resize job history Log like on-prem SQL, It must be good for CX who has a bunch of scheduled job.
    We can easily imagine If we had 20 jobs which execute every hour, I would be impossible to check the log about the last executed log.

Also, I think the below link needs to be corrected.
    MI was marked in "APPLIES TO" box.

So It seems like to capable to resize the job history log.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Take database offline

Hello,

We have recently moved to Azure SQL Managed instance, and we have been having some performance issues with it. Due to poor performance, the application stopped running.

We could neither take the database offline or set it to a single user mode. This caused us a lot of time. It would be great if there was a feature to take the DB offline, which drops all the sessions and quickly bring it back again, similar to on premise environment.

Thanks
    Aloysius

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Managed Identity (MSI) Authentication with Managed Instance

User Assigned Managed Identity and System MSI is supported with SQL DB but not SQL MI.

See: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/23965

Need to write code "the hard way" to support AAD token auth from code: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/securing-azure-sql-databases-with-managed-identities-just-got-easier/

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow DBs to be Renamed when GeoReplication is enabled and MI is part of a Failover Group

I have an Azure SQL Managed Instance that is set up with geo-replication. I have a database on this MI that I want to swap out with another database by renaming them:

ALTER DATABASE mydb MODIFY NAME = mydbold;
    ALTER DATABASE mydb
    new MODIFY NAME = mydb;

When I run this, I get an error error:

The operation cannot be performed since the database 'mydb' is in a replication relationship. The only way to rename the database is to remove the entire MI from the failover group, rename the database, drop all databases from the secondary, and then re-establish…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow higher disk IO selection at low vCore levels

We'd like high disk IOPS and throughput at the lower end of performance here, so 8vCore business critical level with higher performance.
    We'll be sticking with SQL FCI VMs in the meantime where we have control of the disks we attach to get the level of performance we require.
    Thank you.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cross database queries do not work as promised.

Per the documentation for SQL Managed Instances, cross-database queries are supported and one of the reasons you can begin migrating your on prem sql server installations into SQL Manage Instances.

I created a managed instance as well as databases of the appropriate type within the instance, and it did not allow me to query them. When I attempt to query a table from another database, I get the error that it is not allowed in this version of sql.

Please a) fix this, and b) update your documentation as this is not true

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Control PaaS software updates rollouts

PaaS assumes that all updates are good updates. This is not always so. Mistakes are made and functionality is broken during PaaS updates. These are exceedingly painful and disruptive events for production systems. We need to offer 'delay windows' to PaaS instances to provide time to test updates prior to them hitting production instance. A simple mechanism would be to allow choices of 30/60/90 days. Thereby allowing users to establish cascading updates across instances while also ensuring that no instance is ever more than 90-days behind the most recent PaaS software update.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Azure Managed Instance Zone Redundancy

The ability to make Azure Managed Instances be zone redundant to match the HA capabilities of SQL Database seems logical.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. memory

For Azure SQL Managed Instance DB, we are able to read existing metrics like 'avgcpupercent', 'iobytesread', via the REST API.

But we need an additional metric for current memory usage, to be exposed via the same REST API.

This is to enable us to know when to scale the managed instance up/down, depending on current average memory usage.
    Please provide a way to expose this additional memory metric.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. service broker

Azure SQL Managed instance to support Service Broker routing externally between MI's rather than local only.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Fixed Scaling with the new Metrics Charts (in preview)

Currently with a new Metric Chart (preview) you are dynamically setting the scaling of the chart. We need the ability to set the scale of the chart from 0 to 100% all the time. Look at the attached file. Here are two charts side by side. The scaling is completely different so it makes comparing values between the two charts impossible.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Azure File-Snapshot Backups on Azure SQL DB and Managed Instances

We're currently using Azure VMs with SQL Server and love the "WITH FILE_SNAPSHOT" backup option. We're considering a move to MIs in the future, but would love to see this option first.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Increase reserved size limit of Business Critical Azure SQL Managed Instance to 8TB, 16 TB

Add higher storage SKUs for business critical Azure SQL Managed instance. Currently for Gen5 Business Ctitical Service Azure SQL managed instance restricts max instance reserved storage size to 4 TB for 32, 40, 64, 80 vCores, there is no option for higher storage needs greater than 4TB.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Monitor the Secondary replica

Business critical Managed instance has additional secondary replica which can be used to offload read workload. However currently there is no mechanism to effectively monitor the secondary workload.

dmdbresource_stats doesn't contain metadata for more than an hour. Please introduce effective mechanism to monitor the secondary replica of Managed Instance

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Managed Instance

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base