How can we improve SQL Managed Instance?

Support regional settings to fix GetDate() function

GetDate still on UTC all the time. For the promised value of MI to be the destination for lift&shift without code changes, this breaks it. Now developers have to review their code and update it for MI and if decided to move the database to their IaaS environment, they have to change it back again.

59 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohamed Sharaf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I know if you are planning to do this in the Single database instances too?
    I don't understand how SQL Azure has Getdate() and Getutcdate() that return the same results... why have 2 functions that do the same thing? It's non-sense to me and it is affecting our software for which we are promoting to install it on SQL Azure (single database)...
    I need to know How to proceed... Stay with Azure, change all the calls in our software or find another solution?

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but I'm going to say it... this really needs to be on the cheaper offerings too

• Phil Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fabulous to see this progressed! Thanks for listening to customer feedback! :-)

For those looking for the documentation, I found this page:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-managed-instance-timezone

The key messages that I got out of this is:
    * As of today (11-Apr-2019) it is in Preview.
    * Managed Instance is the only deployment option of Azure SQL Database that supports time zone setting.
    * A time zone of managed instance can be set during instance creation only.

• Vandana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - is this fix also available for Azure SQL or just the Managed Instance ? thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, I am new to these boards...where do I go to see the documentation on the feature how to do this now that is is available?

• Marc L. Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any place to get an update on when this might be completed? I have a managed instance, and I'm OK with just changing the timezone. I'm not worried about fixing anything due to the UTC timezone.

• Bill Hodder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well if you guarantee to add the feature to change the time zone, then we could move to it immediately, as GMT and UTC match for the next few months... so isn’t a problem right now, but will become a major problem for us when DST kicks back in...

Feedback and Knowledge Base