SQL Managed Instance

How can we improve SQL Managed Instance?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Make backups portable to on-premise SQL

Get this message when attempting to restore an SMI backup to on-premise SQL:

The database was backed up on a server running version 15.00.0700. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running version xx.xx.xxxx. Either restore the database on a server that supports the backup, or use a backup that is compatible with this server.

Lock in is risky for customers for a number of reasons. A workaround is using BACPAC but getting an established database into a state where BACPAC doesn't spew errors is difficult in our experience.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback.

We assume that you are talking about ability to restore native backup (.bak files) taken from SQL MI to SQL Server 2017/2019.

It’s a tough one unfortunately. Native backup contains binary data, and never been backwards compatible. E.g. you can’t restore backup from SQL 2012 on SQL 2008. Same logic applies here.

SQL MI gets updates faster SQL Server, as soon we check-in code, it gets deployed with the next wave of updates on Azure. Same as SQL DB.
    Theoretically if you take backup of SQL MI now, and wait until SQL Server version release catch up, then you will be able to restore it.

Can you please let us know what kind of issues with BACPAC you are encountering?

Also, you can consider making transaction replication from SQL MI on on-prem as a way to move data around.

2. Show MI Private IP in Overview Blade

My customer ask for a very simple request do you know if it possible to show in MI Overview Blade Private IP of my MI ? We already have fqdn but this will be interesting for my customer to have Private Ip

Matthieu

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Managed instance does not support restoring database with over 280 files?

Hi,

I am currently trying to restore a .bak file to an MI instance. When I do RESTOREFILELIST, it looks like the DB contains 341 files (including mdf/ndf/log).

When I then try to RESTORE the DB, I receive the error in SSMS that [Msg 41916, Level 16, State 0, Line 7 Maximum number of 280 files for SQL Database Managed Instance reached.]

Does this mean that any managed instance does not support restoring a database with over 280 files?

Or is this just a problem trying to restore the DB through SSMS/T-SQL? If this is a SSMS/T-SQL problem, would I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Managed Instance

Feedback and Knowledge Base