System Center Data Protection Manager

Welcome to System Center Data Protection Manager feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. DPM 2019: Error 40002 – The VHD containing the replica or one of its snapshots could not be mounted or unmounted

This error was fixed for DPM 2016 in Update Rollup 7. Please fix this for DPM 2019 now, and not make us wait for Update Rollup 1 (Q3 '19 on the roadmap). Neither host nor client has anything to do with VHD's and this error still occurs daily.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  SCDPM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add DPM agent to backup/restore linux hosts with DPM.

We would like to be able to backup/restore linux hosts with DPM, through an agent.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SCDPM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. File-level restore from Linux VM on VMware / Hyper-V.

Add capability to restore files from backup of a linux virtual machine on VMware and Hyper-V.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BUG: The datasource property 'ShadowCopyAreaSize' is always 0 in DPM 2016

I believe this is a minor bug in all versions of DPM 2016 - I've managed to check on UR2, UR4, UR5, UR6, and they all display the same problem. It is easily reproducible as it occurs on the multiple sites I've tried it on.

In all versions of DPM, you can return the various data sizes using this simplified script which will query the first datasource in the first protection group only:

$DPMServer = 'MyDPMServer'
    $ProtectionGroup = Get-ProtectionGroup $DPMServer | Select-Object -First 1
    $DataSource = Get-Datasource $ProtectionGroup |Select-Object -First 1
    $DataSource.ReplicaSize / 1gb
    $DataSource.ReplicaUsedSpace / 1gb
    $DataSource.ShadowCopyAreaSize / 1gb …

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Better QA for DPM

There are so many bugs with this product it is unbelievable. The product team also doesn't really care unless it has something to do with Azure backups. I definitely would recommend a different backup product given the current state of affairs with DPM.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SCDPM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SCDPM Progress indication on Consistency check, Replica creation and Backups

SCDPM. At the moment there is no indication of how far a backup is. A simple percentage number would be nice. Maybe separate for preparing backup and transferring, but that is optional.
    Especially on Consistency checks it is very much needed with a progress indication. We have no idea if it is done with 10% or 99%. That should not be so difficult as we check 100% of data.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix custom tape label bug

In DPM, when customising tape backups, you used to be able to set the label for the tape. This was great. Since 1807, this functionality is completely broken. Custom tape labels that existed prior to upgrading retain their custom tape label but you cannot change or set new tape labels for protection groups.

Please fix this bug.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Remove Tape Library, Tape Drives

We decomssioned our old tape library. Replaced it by a new one (other vendor). However now we have two libraries.

It is possible to disable the old one, but that still generates errors in the event log at SCOM can/will pick up and triggers an alert.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Exclude disks for VM-level backups - VMWare

Request the ability to exclude entire disks from a VM level backup. An example would be a VM level backup of a SQL server but we want to exclude the database dump volume since that contains redundant data.

Another example is a file server that has multiple large historical drives (static data) and one active drive receiving new data. The fileserver could be protected at the VM level to target the active data but ignore the drives with static data.

This entry is specific to VMWare VM protection.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Backup directly to blob

Allow for DPM to backup directly to blob storage in Azure without the need for local disk (or very little local disk/staging)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BUG: missing registry key

Hi,

I've recently had to rebuild our primary DPM server and chose to go to 1801 > 1807 to future proof a bit! Once the production was up and running I thought it was worth backing that up to another DPM server, so I created one in Hyper-V & got to the installation phase when I had the dreaded "I couldn't find the Hyper-V tools installed" error. However, this one was different - it was looking for a registry key at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Setup\HyperVPowerShell. Just out of curiosity I manually created this path in the registry & the installer…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the SQL db auto-protect schedule to be modified

Currently, SQL auto-protect jobs run at midnight and will cause tape backup jobs to fail if they are running at midnight with the error:

The job was cancelled because the user modified the associated protection group. (ID 33342)

This is per https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a1f0dd1d-e445-4613-a5e7-e97ab3013428/tape-backup-jobs-failing?forum=dpmtapebackuprecovery&prof=required

Please allow us to change the schedule the db auto-protect routine runs. It is extremely difficult to try to time the SQL backups to not run across midnight if you have a lot of backup jobs running to tape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Deploy DPM agents with Smartcard required account

Currently, if we want to deploy DPM agents we have to remove Smartcard from our administrative account. We should be able to deploy the agent without being required to provide a username and password.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow users to exclude folders of their choice of the protection

When you back up a large number of computers, and apply the same policy for everyone (2000 or 3000 computers), it would be very interesting to allow users to exclude certain subfolders.

In our case, we want to save the My Pictures folder, but a large number of users store private data (example: holiday photos), we do not want to find this data on our DPM servers, in this kind of case we would like to save the My Pictures folder but let the user exclude his private subfolders.

It would be a good compromise between security and freedom offered…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. DPM 2016 Backup Items in Azure Portal

Right now DPM 1807 and 2019 will show a list of available Online Recovery points under Backup Items in the Recovery Services Valt in the Azure portal. For some reason DPM 2016 even with UR7 is excluded, even though you see the DPM server registered with the vault. Having visibility of what online recovery points DPM 2016 has created gives a simplified reporting mechanism for auditors, etc. when it is necessary to confirm that recovery points actually exist offsite.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SCDpm use azure blob as "tape libray"

Allow SCDPM (On-Premises) to azure blob storage for the long term jobs.

For long time jobs using azure blob storage to store the data like a "tape library" can be more flexible than use a "real / virtual" tape libray

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

System Center Data Protection Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base