BUG: The datasource property 'ShadowCopyAreaSize' is always 0 in DPM 2016
I believe this is a minor bug in all versions of DPM 2016 - I've managed to check on UR2, UR4, UR5, UR6, and they all display the same problem. It is easily reproducible as it occurs on the multiple sites I've tried it on.
In all versions of DPM, you can return the various data sizes using this simplified script which will query the first datasource in the first protection group only:
$DPMServer = 'MyDPMServer'
$ProtectionGroup = Get-ProtectionGroup $DPMServer | Select-Object -First 1
$DataSource = Get-Datasource $ProtectionGroup |Select-Object -First 1
$DataSource.ReplicaSize / 1gb
$DataSource.ReplicaUsedSpace / 1gb
$DataSource.ShadowCopyAreaSize / 1gb
$DataSource.ShadowCopyUsedSpace / 1gb
In 2016, however, the ShadowCopyAreaSize is listed - so not discontinued, but the value is always zero: