How can we improve SCDPM?

Progress bar for DPM 2016 UR4 - Move Disk Storage

Using the new Move Disk Storage feature in UR4 turned out to be a painful process for me. I decided to move a large volume first, as I thought this would give me the most space back. Four full days later it finished with no indication that it was actually doing anything at all. To make matters worse the DPM console was out of action pretty much that whole time too.

What I propose is a progress bar for a move and possibly an estimated time at the start before you lock up you system for several days

19 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Vlad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be cool, because now we doesn't see what going in this job. I migrated some PG and it would difficult to understand finishing process or no

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This.
    I have a 4 TB job that has been running for 9 days. At its current speed, it will be an almost 2 week migration. Totally unacceptable.

Really, this should be a background process that doesn't clobber your console. Yes, you can run a 2nd console, but we shouldn't have to do half measures like this. Plus, between the data move and existing jobs, do we need to tax our system more?

Sigh

• Bronson Magnan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about creating the move task as an active job in the monitoring pane instead of locking the console until this completes. (The same could be said for "creating protection groups" process)

Feedback and Knowledge Base