How can we improve the Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)?

Adding data disks to AKS nodes

Copied from https://github.com/Azure/AKS/issues/401

It could be possible to add data disks to nodes in AKS at provisioning time? Pretty much like

"diskSizesGB": [30, 30],
in acs-engine, or the option --data-disk-sizes-gb for the az vm create command. I'm playing around with OpenEBS, and it's easy to setup distributed storage on separated partitions, but it'll be easier if I have those disks mounted at boot (now I need to manually create/attach managed disks, and ssh into each node).

15 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also are also evaluating Rook Ceph as a more reliable alternative to the Azure-provided Kubernetes storage options. Speed of bind process PVC is a huge argument in favor of Ceph. While we are able to attach an arbitrary number of data disks to the worker VM's created by AKS, those attachments get lost as soon as we perform a cluster upgrade.

• Christopher Krohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment we're evaluating Rook Ceph as a more reliable alternative to the Azure-provided Kubernetes storage options. While we are able to attach an arbitrary number of data disks to the worker VM's created by AKS, those attachments get lost as soon as we perform a cluster upgrade.

Having a native way for attaching data disks to workers (e.g. via Terraform) would be a huge improvement and would enable support for different storage operator frameworks like StorageOS, Gluster or Ceph.

• Trent Telfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was shocking that this is not an option. My nodes just ran out of diskspace due to logs. Currently have to run a script to login and delete logs via ssh.

Feedback and Knowledge Base