How can we improve the Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)?

Add support for Windows nodes

213 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ben Clapp shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company would love to deploy our product that Windows containers, governed by some Linux services deployed to the same AKS cluster. Unfortunately it's not an option, which renders the whole Azure setup questionable for our needs. Please work with us to resolve.

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need the support of windows nodes. In particular when the multiple node pool support is going to be introduced. This really should allow for a pool of Linux nodes and a separate pool of Windows nodes. Currently the only option for AKS and windows containers is through virtual-kubelet, but that uses ACI. ACI also treats windows containers as second class as there is no support for mounting volumes in ACI for windows containers. So if you have a windows container, then AKS is not an option, ACI is not an option and virtual kubelet is not an option. Basically Azure is not an option, disappointing.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can also confirm that we will be reverting to Azure as soon as the hybrid cluster option is production ready.

We also suffered many show stoppers the preview environment.

Any update on this would be great.

• Tadd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this. We're watching Azure Kubernetes Service closely. When it fully supports Windows we are IN. We tested early in the year and had a number of show-stoppers.

First off, the AKS PaaS didn't support Windows at all. But the Azure Container Service (ACS) engine stuff was open soured on GitHub so we used that. Kudos to the team for the outstanding documentation on using ACS! With that we were able to get Windows nodes "sort of" working, but had a number of show-stoppers that would for sure prevent any production deployment:

- could not upgrade Kubernetes when Windows was in the cluster.
    - Didn't support internal DNS
    - kubernetes dashboard wouldn't show Windows metrics

There were a few other things but those were the ones I remember off hand. Any idea on these?

Feedback and Knowledge Base