Azure Management Groups

Azure Management Groups provide a way to efficiently manage access, policies, and compliance across an enterprise through a hierarchy made up of management groups and subscriptions. Using the Azure portal, PowerShell, CLI, or the Rest API, customers are able to build a flexible structure for unified policy and access management.

Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Management Group customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums are directly monitored and reviewed by the Azure Management Group engineering team.

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Azure Management Groups?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow custom RBAC Definitions at the Management Group Level

The customer I currently work with has several custom roles that are currently maintained in a central subscription. This has become quite burdensome as every new subscription which needs the role assigned needed to have the Role.AssignableScopes attribute appended with the custom role. We would like to centrally manage these, using management groups similar to the way we manage Policy applied over several subscriptions.

163 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

25 comments  ·  New Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Everyone,
    I apologize about the delay but Custom RBAC Support is now available in Production. You are able to to create role definitions at the MG scope and assign them to inherited MGs and Subs.

There is a bug that is in the portal where the new custom role is not showing when you are trying to do a role assignment on an inherited child MG/Sub. This should be resolved soon and PowerShell, CLI, and API are all working. I will not do any announcements yet on the availability of the feature until the portal bug is fixed. Once that is fixed we will do blog announcements and I will mark the feature complete here.

2. Add Azure DevOps as cloud application in conditional access

You can only select Azure Management and this is including Azure DevOps. Regular users are logging into DevOps and we want to exclude them from the conditional access policy

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Question  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for the default management group in the tenant be custom selected

When using Azure Management Groups, any new management group or subscription that is created is made a default child of the Root management group.

This feature would allow a admin with access to the root management group to select different default group. This group will then act as the landing area for all new management groups and subscriptions that are not created with a parent already selected.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  New Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Splitting management group rights from subscription rights

I would like to give an AD group 'Owner' rights on subscriptions below a management group without giving them also the 'owner' rights on the management group itself, as they should only administer subscriptions and not management groups (which is done by another group of admins), which doesn't seem to be possible right now?

Is this something we can use the 'Deny assignments' for in the future? (as in assigning them the 'owner' role, and denying them the 'management group contributor' role for example?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently this is not possible as there are no RBAC roles that focus only on subscriptions write capabilities. We created a Management Group Contributor role so that certain users can only have write on the MG scope, but not one focused on subscriptions. This is something we can look at doing.

We are working on Custom RBAC support for management group which will allow you to create your own role with subscription/write.

5. Prevent Azure Move from circumventing destination policy restrictions

Currently, we can circumvent Azure Policy location restrictions by creating the resource in a subscription where the policy is not applied, and then moving the resource to the locked down subscription.

This creates a hole in our recommended governance and security policies, please address.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  0 comments  ·  New Feature Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Set resource creation limits by user/group

In order to control costs, the Service Administrator should be able to setup quota/limits on resources created by users/groups, e.g. max 10 Vms.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. Be able to set custom names for the policies in an initiative

It would be great if we can edit the names of the policies within an initiative.

For example I have an initiative that has 4 instances of the "Require specified tag" build-in policy, because there are 4 tags I demand from every resource created in the subscription.

And indeed when creating a resource it throws an error that the resource is disallowed by the initiative and it states which policy in the initiative triggered the error.... but they are all named the same, so I would not know which tag exactly am I missing.

I want to be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Auto-Generate GUIDs for MGs

If GUIDs for MGs could be auto-generated optional this would be a great user experience as currently having to provide your own GUID isn't the best experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Change Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New-AzureRMSubscription missing argument to set management group scope

If I create a new Subscription using New-AzureRMSubscription it is always created at Root Scope, seems there is missing an arguement for management group scope.

Otherwise i need to additionally execute New-AzManagementGroupSubscription... and this command, as far as i can tell will require the user executing it too be both Contributor of the management group object and owner of the subscription object.

The 'New Subscription' owner and 'Target Management Group' owner are different identities in my scenario.

Added to github by alexevansigg 5/16/19

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable ARMs Template Deployment at Management Group level with Azure DevOps

Currently, Azure DevOps only allows Subscription level Azure Resource Group (ARMs) Deployment. If you have a scenario in which your Template contains linked Templates to create resources into other subscriptions, Azure DevOps is not able to handle it. This is needed in scenarios such as Hub And Spoke Pattern with Multi-Subscriptions. interestingly, Service Connections can be defined at Management group level, but the Resource Template deployment is lacking this feature. This is a big miss in DevOps pipeline, or maybe I'm missing something.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Restrict Account and Service Admin rights for cancelling a subscription

I believe that my request or idea is similar to the the topic "Splitting management group rights from subscription rights".

I understand that an user with the role of Account and/or Service Admin can cancel or transfer an Azure subscription. This action can cause a business continuity impact and I want to restrict this capability under the "Four Eyes Principle" or "Segregation of Duties". Is it possible? Currently I think that this feature is not available, thus making the entire designed RBAC model at the lower scopes potentially useless.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Account / Service Admins are classic administration roles that are outside of the ARM RBAC Model. They have equivalent RBAC roles like “Owner”. Management Groups are ARM Resources which means they do not look or govern the classic roles.

While we have no plans to support governing classic roles, I will keep this item open as unplanned.

Learn more about Classic Roles: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/role-based-access-control/rbac-and-directory-admin-roles#classic-subscription-administrator-roles

12. AzManagementGroupSubscription needs Get/Delete verbs

Description of the new feature
    Az.Resource currently implements a NEW verb for adding a sub to an MG. The corresponding GET/DELETE verbs have not been implemented.

Get
    The azManagementGroup stuff allow for retrieving a tree of your MG and subs. Finding where a Sub in the tree is currently has no native code. You have to retrieve the entire tree and recursively search for where the sub is assigned.

Delete
    Currently the only way to remove a Sub from an MG is to re-parent it to its new location or the "Tenant Root Group" MG. Since once MG's are turned…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. New-AzManagementGroupSubscription should not move a sub that already is in a ManagementGroup

Description
    New-AzManagementGroupSubscription should not move a sub that already is in a ManagementGroup

Steps to reproduce
    New-AzManagementGroupSubscription -SubscriptionId 12345-x-x-x -GroupName MyNewMG
    If sub 12345-x-x-x already exists under an MG, this should throw an error. This command makes it way to easy to break established hierarchy.

Possibly there could be a parameter -FORCE that utilized current behavior.

From: https://github.com/Azure/azure-powershell/issues/9158

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. User Access Role to Change Management Groups Only. Prevent MG or Subscription Changes

In a hierarchy of Management Groups, I would like assign people at a parent Management Group who:

- Have access to all resources in a Subscription
    - Cannot create new children Subscriptions or Management Groups
    - Can assign new users to their Management Group and Children

Ultimately I want to give assigned MG "admins" the ability to manage users coming and going from Subscriptions and Management Groups, but restrict who in the company has the ability to create new Subscriptions and Management Groups anywhere in the MG heirarchy.

I would also like ensure "users" - via the MG - have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Question  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi @Jason,
    Looking at your 3 items there, the first two can be achieved by using the “Reader” role on the Management Group. This would give the “user” read access to the MG, Sub, and any resources under it. They would not be able to create new MGs under that group or move any MGs/Subs to that group as you need at least “Contributor” access on the new parent MG in a move.

The third request is the real tricky item within Management Groups. There are 2 roles that allow users to assign user access. “Owner” and “User Access Administrator”. Giving a user “User Access Admin” allows that user to assign any role to any individual, including themselves on that assigned resource. For Example, if the user is assigned “Reader" and “User Access Admin” on a parent MG, they could at any time assign themselves “Owner” role. That is why…

15. In Management Groups - Allow to view which sub belongs to a mg

In Management Groups
    - Adding a subscription to a management group.

Replace dropdown with a view so you can select multiple subscriptions and also see to which MG a subscription belongs.

Also filter by MG group there and also view all subscriptions that does not belong to a MG currently.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Change Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add subscription request resource group

When adding a new subscription to a directory that has resource groups enabled the new subscription wizard should ask if you want to add the subscription to an existing resource group or create a new one.

Would even be nice if as an admin you can toggle an option in teh directory to require subscriptions be added to a management group.

This just simplifys the management as currently we have to tell everyone to "remember" to do this and stuck cleaning up a mess when it is not done.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Management Groups

Feedback and Knowledge Base