Azure IoT Central

Azure IoT Central is your IoT app platform that's highly secure, scales with your business as it grows, ensures your investments are repeatable, and integrates with your existing business apps.
  • Get connected: Azure IoT Central connects your IoT devices to the cloud faster than any other platform. Find new devices matched to your solution in the Azure Certified for IoT device catalog.
  • Stay connected: We understand how hard it is to keep devices connected and healthy. Centralized management helps you reconfigure and update them.
  • Transform: Our connectors and extensibility APIs bridge the gap between your business applications and IoT—providing a direct connection between IoT data and your decision makers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom DNS support

Today I can create an app URL (i.e. myapp.azureiotcentral.com), but I'd like to create a DNS entry on my domain (i.e. iot.mycompany.com) that redirects to IoT Central using CNAME.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dashboard template

The one thing that appears missing for any reasonable sized deployment for me is that it seems that I would have to create a new dashboard for each device, even if I want them all to look the same. I should be able to duplicate a dashboard and just change the device template/device instance its pulling from

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. For DeviceSet dashboards make the map to filter the other tiles

Assume I have a Map and a Grid.
    If I drill down the map, the list should filter only to the devices in the map view

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add units for Y axis in the Dashboard section

Need to add units to the values in the Y-axis of Dashboard section.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Programmatically create whole iot central app

Is there a possibility to programmatically create iot central application dashboard without using web creator? Is there any other way to export whole application than to do this via shareable link? Can I export application template as a code?

As far as I know I can export capability model from device template. But what about cloud properties and device dashboards? Do I need to set them every time I create similar device template?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. Today you have two ways to build and re-use your application template. You can create an application copy (to create another instance in a subscription you own/manage), or export your application template, which provides a shareable link that you can others to create and manage their IoT Central app instance based on the template you’ve designed. More information on these features, as well as documentation on what’s included/excluded upon app export can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-central/core/howto-use-app-templates.

We’re evaluating if additional ways to export/import applications are required based on customer feedback.

6. Multiple devices per dashboard

There should be a means of having multiple devices display on a single dashboard, even if its a toggle between devices from the main dashboard. Especially when it comes to heatmapping and also maps

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow exporting of whole template (Preview application)

Currently in the Preview version of the application, it is possible to export only the Interface configuration (eg. telemetry, commands, etc). It would be great to be able to export all parts of a template including cloud properties, views, forms and telemetry customisations. This would allow some amount to release control from one environment to another. It would also allow creation of a new template based on an existing one, for example in instances where you want to modify the json to remove a telemetry field (which can't be done via the web interface).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to export logs and visualize thru IoT Central

Sometimes there are things that you just want to monitor data from logs rather than write custom telemetry. We can accomplish that now by sending logs thru ELK stack and visualizing from there. Why can't we do this thru IoT Central instead. If you think this is a good idea, vote so it can be priotized.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to view IoT Edge module logs in the portal

Device management can be improved by being able to view module logs remotely. Even just the last 100 lines of logs.
    If you think this is a good idea, vote so it can be prioritized.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add support to migrate device using Azure CLI

One of the pain points using IoT Central is CICD for developers, especially on Edge Devices. It would be great to be able to have a full pipeline from repository to test device automated deployment. This is possible if we have better Azure CLI commands for
    - Device Template Versioning
    - Uploading new IoT Edge templates
    - Deleting Device Templates
    - Migrating a test device
    - Managing the device like restarts

Overall development flow would be better and faster. Also reduce errors.
    Also device testability
    Anything that can be done via Portal can be automated via Azure CLI. I think…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Integrate azure maps satellite images for locations

We are monitoring multiple soil sensors in agricultural sector. I think not only we would benefit from having satellite data of the fields where we can more precisely pinpoint our sensors in the farm land.

Currently, one can only select a couple of map-styles (road, noir, etc.) but not the satellite images. But in Azure Maps they are already supported. So why is this not being integrated within azure iot central?

Are there any plans to integrate this feature? Or is this not planned to happen?

Thanks for your help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. BUG: when adjusting Sensor ID name it does not push through towards the dashboards

Hi MS,

I have a lot of enthousiastic users of IC. When they are trying to adjust the names of their sensors (200+ have alread been done) it seems the system does take them into the dashboard Edit part but not into the dashboard it self. Can this be fixed? Most customer are now unable to see which of their sensors are sending the data.

Thanks a lot for your help

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. For security, the command history needs to be restricted by role

Some Commands contain critical or confidential information. For example a SAS token.

To fully check a security audit, the command history needs to be restricted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improvements for Multiple devices in the dashboards

1) When adding a visualization for multiple devices use the friendly device name instead of the device ID. AzSphere device ID is an enormously long meaningless value to display.

2) Ability to do aggregates across devices, like total sensors of all systems
    3) Enable Public Dashboards for Device Groups... or even better, for each dashboard, you should allow a dropdown filter to select a device Group

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show the Interface Name when selecting properties in design mode for Edit Values Form

Select Edit Device and Cloud Data when adding a view.

If you have some properties with the same name, without the interface name it is difficult to group (section) the properties correctly.

For example, we have 3 interfaces: Modem, Location, and Modbus. each has a "Report Interval" Property. during View design, the "hover over" does not show the interface name, therefore, the only way to group them in a section is with try and error

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. There should be an ability to restore deleted applications in case of a user error.

What if you accidentally deleted your entire application when moving around resources or other departments make an error in selecting the correct application to delete.

There should be the ability to restore to a certain point and back up application in the case of such disaster. There is currently no disaster recovery?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback to the IoT Central team. We’re considering ways in which we can protect your resources from being deleted. To help us better understand customer expectation, how long would you expect the resource to be ‘around’ before it’s actually permanently deleted? would 1 day suffice? or would you need a longer period?

Luis on behalf of the IoT Central team

18. Copy application should support resource group

Poor man's tenancy, but nice if I could have multiple apps under the same subscription (currently supported), but give me the option to select Resource Group especially when Extensions and BlobStorage are to be used.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Uri,

Thanks for taking the time to submit feedback. This is a great request, and we’ll be sure to add this to our backlog for consideration. In the meantime, you have the option of changing the resource group from the Ibiza portal after the app is created. If you need help on how to do that, let us know and we can post some instructions.

Thanks,
    Luis on behalf of the Azure IoT Central team

19. Disable chat window for ex. all operators

I want a rule to disable the chat for some usergroups

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi – thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Can you tell us a bit more about which users you expect to see the chat option vs. not? This will help us think about the future of this feature.

Thanks,
    Luis on behalf of the Azure IoT Central team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base