Azure IoT Central

Azure IoT Central is your IoT app platform that's highly secure, scales with your business as it grows, ensures your investments are repeatable, and integrates with your existing business apps.
  • Get connected: Azure IoT Central connects your IoT devices to the cloud faster than any other platform. Find new devices matched to your solution in the Azure Certified for IoT device catalog.
  • Stay connected: We understand how hard it is to keep devices connected and healthy. Centralized management helps you reconfigure and update them.
  • Transform: Our connectors and extensibility APIs bridge the gap between your business applications and IoT—providing a direct connection between IoT data and your decision makers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please provide advanced rules settings

Please provide more options for setting up rules e.g. on telemetry data.

In my case I wanted to set up a rule when a condition lasts over a certain timeframe. I haven't found a way to do this with IoT Centrals rules management.

Another pain point I noticed was when I set up a rule with a threshold that should send me an e-mail when the rule is triggered, my mail account was spammed with many mails for historical occurences of the trigger. So it would be helpful to have an option whether a rule should be triggered on historical…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are adding support for Aggregate functions and Time windowing in Rules that will enable monitoring telemetry over a certain timeframe before alerting.

I will update the thread once the feature is available to try out.

Thanks
    Ankit

2. support objects in JSON payload

Nested objects and arrays.

Use case: When the device acts as a protocol translator for another network, example BLE and the payloads are identical but from a different address.

Here is a simplified example:

"ble": [

{
    "000B576FC3C7": {
    "v": "4",
    "T": 30,
    "H": 24
    },
    "000B576FAAAA": {
    "v": "4",
    "T": 23,
    "H": 24
    },
    }
    ],

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all,

We have added support for the complex objects with the latest preview update of Azure IoT Central. We also have array support on the roadmap and will share more details as they become available.

Please note that these features are in preview and we are listening to the feedback to further refine them.

You can read more about the new capabilities in the device template here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-central/core/tutorial-define-iot-device-type-pnp?toc=/azure/iot-central-pnp/toc.json&bc=/azure/iot-central-pnp/breadcrumb/toc.json#prerequisites

Thanks
    Ankit

3. Trigger event based on offline devices

So what would be great is if there was some way to detect when devices haven't "reported in" within a specific time span to be alerted to offline devices. I haven't found a way to do it but I may be missing something.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. View raw telemetry data sent by the device without any aggregation

What I'd like to do is display the data in the storage of IoT Central by displaying the defaults other than the maximum, minimum, average, and count.

For example, it is difficult to deal with situations where two data are added when one of the two data is an integer value and the other is a decimal value.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  6 comments  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dashboard with multiple devices, group by "tag or property"

Nice if I was able to group different devices (models) in a single view.
    For example:
    By store, I have 3 refrigerators, one coffee machine, and one couponing station

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Virtual State and Event

Allow adding state and event fields to the model, even if these don't originate from the device. When a rule occurs on any telemetry field an action set the desired value into these virtual fields.

Example: When Temperature > 80 Deg, Set the Virtual Event vTemperatureEvent = IntoAlarm and the vTemperatureState = "Alarm"
    When the temperature drops back to 65, vTemperatureEvent = OutOfAlarm and vTemperatureState = Normal

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Uri,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. This is great feedback and we’ll consider this as we build our feature roadmap. We’ll provide updates here once we make any determinations.

Thanks,
    Luis on behalf of the Azure IoT Central team

7. Save measurements selection for future navigation

If I leave the "Measurements" view and return, I lost the selected fields and settings. It reverts to the first 4 elements in the payload always in average.

It is clear this view is fluid and dynamic, but nice if it was able to remember where I left it.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Uri,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I understand that the lack of state can be frustrating. We’re actively working to enhance this experience, so stay tuned for updates.

Thanks,

8. OR operator for multiple condition in a single Rules

It is very nice that you allow entering more than one condition in the evaluation engine, but it is missing an operator for multiple conditions.

I have a Sensor that needs calibration to report temperature and humidity, it reports -999 when it is not calibrated.

I would like to set up a rule like this:
    Temperature = -999 OR Humidity = -999

But the way it is implemented today, the 2 conditions need to occur for the rule to trigger.

I can create 2 rules, but I am sure you have multiple discussions about it, I definitely vote to implement…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Chart for measurements is misleading, should use only the selected decimals

See the attached chart. The voltage fluctuated a little, and it is great that the chart can provide so much detail. but if the selection was only 2 decimals, then the expected chart is a flat line.

4.18Volts

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Uri,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I can see how this could be misleading, we’ll take a look to see how we can address this. We’ll post updates here as we determine next steps.

Thanks,

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. What about giving all telemetry data to actions (Actions using Rule) ?

When I use Flow as action (In Rules) to connect I get only telemetry data for which the event is triggered, not all the data Why is it ?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fire rules on time elapsed for events

There are 3 actors in any IoT system: Devices, Humans enforcing process and Time. (or lack of action).
    IoT Central needs a timer engine to fire actions when something didn't happen after an elapsed time. We think it is very common

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to send emails from rules to different users based on the device

Different devices may have different people who need to be notified when a rule is triggered. Perhaps I can dynamically send the emails to different users based on the specific device, for example based on a cloud property?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. API support for rule engine

Seeing preview API for IoT Central is very exciting. Also creating and editing rules via API will be very helpful to create a application.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Issue sending email via rule in IoT Central

Seems to be an issue for me to send to using the native email action when an iot device rule condition is triggered. I'm assuming the email action is being handled automagically by iotcentral Saas (smtp or some other mailserve)r but I haven't recived any emails when my event fires; I've checked junk and even tried alternate email address.

I am able to change the event action to logic app->create an smtp (send grid) message and that works fine so it appears the condition is being triggered correctly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Need parameters support in Note section of email rule

Please add the ability to use application properties as parameters in the Note section when creating email rules.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support for String compare in Rules

Need string comparison in rules(may be in telemetry units also).

Usecase:
    In below data, i want to trigger a call to webhook call when type is equal to "unknown"
    {

"timestamp": " 2017-04-28T08:16:14Z",

"type": "Unknown",
    "mac": "EF3101000034",
    "bleName": "ABC",
    "rssi": -76,
    "rawData": "3A4E24FB1AFCFC6EB07647825FDA50693A4E24FB1AFCFC6EB07647825"

}

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Telemetry data type is a number and hence string operators don’t apply to it. The operators are determined based on the data type of the measurement selected in the Rule’s condition.

I’m not clear how you have modeled your payload in IoT Central. Can you clarify how “type” is being sent to IoT Central and which measurement type (Telemetry, Event or State) does it map to?

Thanks
    Ankit

18. Rule alert throttling

Right now, a rule is triggered every time the condition is met. Picture a temperature sensor that reports in every minute. If I set a rule to alert when the temperature is over 60, it will send an email every minute.

It would be good to be able to configure it to only alert the first time the condition is met, and not alert again untill the condition is reset (until the temperature falls back under 60)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Rules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support grouped Event Rules

If one have x number of events originating from a control or status messages in the actual HW/node, today one will have to add a specific Rule for each and everyone of them, i.e. one full Rule for Event 1, another Rule for Event 2 and a third for Event 3 for example.

It would make more sense to group all original events into Info, Warning and Error Events and create three such Rules instead.

This could also easily be accomplished by a device INFOEVENT/WARNIINGEVENT/ERROR_EVENT Rule that supports multiple conditions but with an OR clause between them, hence…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Strange handling of event aggregation in Preview environment

Under the IoT Central Legacy/GA version, aggregating an event worked well such that you could select that a rule should fire if the count of an event was greater than/less than/etc a certain number within a certain time period. For example, an out of tolerance event is received more than 5 times in the last 15 minutes.

Under the Preview version of IoT Central (as of 27-Dec-2019), when you select to aggregate the count of an event, you only get string comparison operators (eg. is equal to / contains / does not contain) probably because the event delivers a string…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base