Azure Diagnosticks logs are collected with up to 24 hour delay, alert cannot be used
As the doc says :
On any given day, Azure Databricks delivers at least 99% of diagnostic logs within the first 24 hours, and the remaining 1% in no more than 72 hours.
Refer : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/administration-guide/account-settings/azure-diagnostic-logs#diagnostic-log-delivery
In this case, if logs are sent to log analytcis, log search alert can not be used to monitior those logs due to the unpredictable delay . This has been posted by multiple customers, hope this can be enhanced
FYI - Spoke with them about this and they said they are working on it but don't have a date yet, but it will hopefully be this year.
Nina Li commented
cx has same compliance from company: Australian Energy Market Operator, please consider and think some changes in future, thanks!