Map fails to load in Chrome (72) Win10 - "Failed to initialize WebGL"
We've had four reports of this issue.
They are each using the latest version of Chrome (72). They see the spinning box at https://get.webgl.org/ and can see map the map on at mapbox's diagnostic page: http://mapbox.github.io/mapbox-gl-supported/diagnostics.html.
See attached one of the user's results on diagnostics page and chrome://gpu page
Is anyone else seeing this?
We have a few reports of this. Based on investigations we have often found that the devices encountering this issue are often either locked down machines with a lot of restrictions, or using older hardware.
- The first thing they can try is to update their video drivers.
- Some other things to try is to change the following settings:
• Set chrome://settings “Use hardware acceleration when available” to enabled.
• Set chrome://flags “Override software rendering list” to enabled.
• Set chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist to enabled.
If the computer being used is old it is worth noting that Chrome does disable WebGL on some older devices.
We are still investigating this to see if we can reproduce this issue and how to mitigate it.
Kevin Flood commented
Just to note: the Azure map loads fine in IE11 in each case.