Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Database Diagrams

Please add Database Diagrams back in SQL SERVER Management Studio

47 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh thank god, that was like a primary feature, SSMS would be almost useless without it!

• Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank goodness its back - this is a critical component, very helpful for reverse engineering vendors databases whilst diagnosing support issues.

• Daniel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has 36 votes, and is brought back in v18.1, yet the critical debugger issue with over 150 votes has been ignored. Honestly, SQL Server team, please prioritise!!!

I do appreciate that diagrams are back though - thank you for listening to user feedback.

• Martin L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What was the reason for removing this in the first place?
    The reason I and others really feel a need to know this is that we want to know if we can trust this feature (as well as other key features) to stay even in the future, or if we have to start the process of moving over to other tools.

• Leandros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much for adding the db diagrams back! Not everyone designs databases code first! The Data Engineering team at my company really uses it!
    Thank you very much!

• adc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awsome. Thanks for Bringing back. But why it was removed in 18

• David D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What was the thinking on removing diagrams in the first place? No developer would think to do this. Welcome back diagrams.

• Andy Steinke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the quick response and return of the tool for all of the reasons mentioned!

• Bryant Avey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SSMS version 18.1 now adds back in Database Diagrams and also the ability to create new SSIS schedules. Thanks for putting these key features back into SSMS!

• Jeff Moden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just read the documentation on 18.1... thanks a ton for bringing diagrams back!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you SO much. I have to say..honestly...I'm shocked and extremely pleased you guys reacted so quickly. That's not aimed at MS - Corps just rarely react so quickly. MS continues to surprise me - in a good way.

• Vladimir Moldovanenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no good reason for diagrams to be removed from SSMS, particularly when no replacement feature is introduced. Diagrams are quite useful, particularly on databases one is not familiar with or to document table relationships.

Please put it back!

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others have stated BRING THIS BACK.
    I use this extensively to teach young programmers and even more important, I use it to show, explain and document to customers the underlying logic of how their data is arranged.
    This becomes especially usefull if I get run over by a bus and someone else has to quickly pick up where I left off or make changes to an existing system.
    A perfect example of this is I have to brief a customer tomorrow morning on their database. After receiving a new computer and having to install tools allover again, I find out 20 minutes ago that SMSS no longer supports diagrams! Now I am scrambling to try and find another way to present DB diagrams. (it doesn't help that VISIO no longer does DB imports to generate diagrams!)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base