Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

SSMS2018 - Installed, but will not run

Original post is here, with additional customer failure report: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/76236e43-dc82-4586-bf7f-b01ff6374462/ssms2018-installed-but-will-not-run?forum=sqltools

Windows 2016 Standard Edition. Brand new Hyper-V image. No prior SSMS on the server. Freshly installed SQL 2014, 16, and 17, Standard and Enterprise as 6 named instances. Restarted multiple times. Repaired the SSMS install. Restarted. I chose to install in a named folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SSMS18 ..\Common7\ Size on disk: (1,090,367,488 bytes)

All that shows is the splash screen, then nothing. Run as administrator - I am a Local Admin - nothing.

Event Viewer - Nothing.

Uninstalled. Reboot. Reinstalled to default location.

WORKS FOR ME, but NOBODY ELSE on the same Server. Appears to occur when SSMS 2018 is installed after SQL on the DB Server itself.

There is no solution as of 2019-04-29, but the "useless when 2019 goes RTM" workaround is to install 17.9.1, which one ought not to have to do.

Please fix this bug.

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SAinCA Mi9 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mohamedi Juma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Solved by following process done by spudhead

Success with earlier described fix by copying existing file "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll"
    from :\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Interop\

to: :\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The solution presented by Andrei seemed to work for me as well, but still really dumb that I had to do this fix myself.. Way to go Microsoft!

• Andrei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe.config should be the file path for those that need it

--------
    The recommended workaround, in the interim, is:
    1) Close all instances of SSMS
    2) Edit ssms.exe.config
    3) Remove the line that has the following text (should be line 38):
    NgenBind_OptimizeNonGac enabled=“1”

That’s the same change that will be in the next release of SSMS 18.x

Thanks,
    -Matteo

• SAinCA Mi9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks for posting, Matteo. I've copied the resolution to the Original Post, and marked it as the answer.

• Stefan Cuypers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here: fresh unpatched Windows Server 2016, installed SSMS 18.0 and it worked fine. Then after applying KB4494440 it stopped working (only showing splash screen).
    The DLL copy fix solved it.

• Byron Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The DLL copy fix originally by Erich Signer is brilliant, but I never tried it myself. What has worked for me was installing 17.9.1, and completely uninstalling and reinstalling 18.0 (already had NET 4.8 installed), as just doing a repair on 18.0 did not work. Have not had problems since. I guessing because of the DLLs, that it could be a PATHs problem as to why simply installing 17.9.1 alone didn't fix my issue, but uninstalling and reinstalling 18.0 afterwards did, so I am guessing that it put the relevant 18.0 bits further down in my PATH. I haven't drilled through my PATH environment variable to confirm, but that's where my money is. So, perhaps there is a DLL missing in 18.0 that 17.9.1 provides, or it doesn't know to use a newer DLL, or etc. Not sure.

• Akin J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

twspalm's fix did it for me!

(twspalm) THIS WORKED FOR ME ! THANKS
    ENV
    Windows 2012R2
    SQL SERVER 2017
    SSDT 2017 and SSMS 18

• JediSQL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this problem on Windows Server 2019 (1809, 17763.437) running in evaluation mode with the default .Net release 461814. I am logged into Windows as an AD login in an AD group that is in the computer's local Administrators group.

The SSMS 18.0 RC-1 was working as expected on this computer.

When I first uninstalled RC-1 and installed 18.0 GA, I would get the splash screen for about 5 seconds, and then the splash would disappear follows by nothing.

I un-installed GA and re-installed RC-1 and it worked (and I was able to continue evaluating SQL 2019).

A few days later I re-downloaded 18.0 GA, un-installed the RC-1, and re-installed GA. This time the splash screen displayed for about 30 seconds, and then SSMS 15.0.18118.0 opened up, and it seemed to work as expected.

Now today, I tried to use that SSMS, and it is back to nothing after about 5 seconds of splash screen.

• Les commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had same issue, tried .net 4.8 install, no dice. @twspalm twspalm's .dll copy & paste, fixed it!

• spudhead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

twspalm's fix did it for me!

twspalm commented · May 7, 2019 1:11 PM · Flag as inappropriate

Success with earlier described fix by copying existing file "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.8.0.dll"
    from :\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Interop\

to: :\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\

• twspalm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

• twspalm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as others have reported. Uninstalled / Reinstalled / Uninstalled... Splash screen then nothing. Have not tried any of the "fixes" yet.

Windows 10
    Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2848)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base