Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Restore CTRL-D shortcut for ResultsToGrid in SSMS

In SSMS 18 Preview 4, the default binding have changed to Edit.Duplicate lines, quoting https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/32896594 as a the motivation.

CTRL-D has been bound to ResultsToGrid, for almost 20 twenty years (that is since Query Analzyer came out in SQL 7.) That is engraved in many people's minds.

Yes, I can change the key binding, but so can people who prefer to use it to duplicate lines.

Please restore the original default. It does not serve the community to change existing bindings.

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erland Sommarskog shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Note: this is a behavior that is only observed in SSMS 18.0 Preview 4.

It turned out that the migration to the new VS2017 Shell in SSMS 18.0 ended up changing the binding for the CTRL+D, which accidentally was a request from a few other users.

Due to popular demand (and also to preserve the old behavior), I’m going to bring back CTRL+D and have it bound to the ResultToGrid in the Query Editor.

I’m going to bind the “Edit.Duplicate” to CTRL-K, CTRL+V, which is consistent with the current VS2017 behavior.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base