Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

Too Many Decimal-places in Size (MB) property

The "Size (MB)" property in SSMS reports the size with way too many decimal places if the size is not divisible by 1024. This can make quickly understanding the sizes of your databases in Object Explorer Details frustrating. This is often seen if a database has auto-grown by a percentage value. If a customer wants to see a precise Size value for their database, it is better for them to use a query or possibly the built-in Disk Usage report. Please eliminate the displaying of any decimal values, or at least a maximum of one decimal-place, in the Size (MB) property and simply round-up if necessary.

Also of note, the property is a little confusingly-named. I believe this property is intended to represent the "Total Size" of the database. It's name does not always convey that to customers.

Alternatively, a new "Total Size (GB)" property could be introduced with a max of two decimal places.

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron Nelson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is confusing and could be improved. ...and how cool would it be to have the option to display DB size (and any other value) with thousand separators?

Aaron, I like the word "confusingly". I think you own that one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base