SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Vote for an existing idea (896)
  • or
  1. Upgrade SSRS 2012 to SSRS 2016

I would like to test upgrading from SSRS 2012 SP2 to SSRS 2016 CTP3.3 but I get an error saying I cannot upgrade from Enterprise Edition to Evaluation Edition.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SSRS 2005 Does Not Completely Uninstall

After installing a full SQL Server 2005 configuration and installing a SSRS performance dashboard (working), an uninstall of SSRS fails to completely remove SSRS. Further attempts to remove SSRS result in an error.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Feb 10 2009 5:43PM=-=>

Same issue here.

<=-=Feb 19 2009 8:28AM=-=>

We would like to investigate this issue but we need more information can you please send us your log files?

Logs:%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Feb 20 2009 7:24AM=-=>

I’m having the exact same issue. I installed SQL 2005 x64 Standard Edition on Windows 2008 Standard Edition x64 after selecting all of the necessary IIS components as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938245 and then applied SQL 2005 SP2. I experienced some issues with my SSRS installation, and went to Programs and Features / Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and selected “Change.” After selecting the reporting services instance, I get “Could not find a package to install on the installation media.”

<=-=Feb 20 2009 8:52AM=-=>

I’m sorry that you are experiencing the same issue but we can’t investigate without logs – can someone attach theirs?

Logs:%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log

Thanks,

3. SSRS Schedule Management

In SSRS 2005/2008R2 it was possible to see which reports were using a Schedule when you were editing it. I cannot find this feature in SSRS 2016 and feel that it is useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Accessible PDF Generation from SSRS

It should be possible to generate accessible, WCAG/Section 508 compliant PDFs from SSRS. Please add this capability to SSRS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Powershell data provider for SSRS

Please can you add a Powershell data provider for SSRS. This should allow SSRS to natively run powershell commands. Something as simple as "Get-Service" could become the dataset for an SSRS report.
    Thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SSRS - Filter Saving

Hi,

Currently SSRS report filters can be set to only 1 set of default values. But, different users would want to view the report with different set of filters. There is no way SSRS support as far as i know.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Feb 17 2009 2:16PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services.
    This We will investigate this request for a future release. We do plan to enhance filtering as as whole. The initial focus will be end user functionality with what can be done directly while viewing a report.
    Thank you for your time.

7. Protecting SSRS reports

There is no way to protect intellectual property of a SSRS report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Aug 27 2010 8:24AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue. We will consider it as a feature enhancement for a future release of Reporting Services.

One question for you: What kind of Intellectual Property are you interested in protecting within the RDL? e.g. the Layout, the Filter logic, custom code authored by your organization.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz

<=-=Dec 21 2010 7:24AM=-=>

I got a similar question from my boss.
    We want to protect our code behind and if possible our queries and stored procedures being called upon.

<=-=Nov 18 2011 8:05AM=-=>

I would like the whole report content to be be protected so users cannot make changes to anything at all.

<=-=May 29 2012 2:03PM=-=>

I too feel this is a missing feature. I’d like to be able to protect the entire contents of my RDL and deploy it to a customer where they have no way of…

8. SSRS 2005 Report Manager enhancements

Report Manager web-UI can be a little bit more "informative", but overall - Good job MS, SSRS 2005 rocks.

P.S. For some reason, SSRS reminds me a lot Visual Studio 6.0 DataReport ;)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 22 2008 2:31PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this bug.

After further investigation we have decided that we will not include this DCR in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008. We plan to consider it in the next major version of SQL Server.

thanx,
    Prash

9. Allow SSRS Parameter Panel to be formatted

The parameter panel layout for a SSRS report cannot be customised in any way. This is a major flaw and often a reason that SSRS is rejected as an end user tool. The parameter panel has changed very little since the initial release of SSRS and looks dated

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 185

<=-=Apr 1 2010 8:04AM=-=>

It would be really nice to be able to use other input controls at the very least. We always talk about “end-user experience” but that concept doesn’t seem to reach to end-users running SSRS reports. Multi-value drop-down lists only go so far for input, particularly with reports that use KPI—ah, wouldn’t it be nice to have a slider!?

<=-=Apr 26 2010 10:59AM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion and we do agree with you. We are looking at improving the parameter story in our next release. We agree with your idea for using sliders and other more “up to date” features. Look for changes in SQL11 and possibly Dev11.

<=-=Feb 23 2011 9:24AM=-=>

OH YES!

- Placement control, at the very least a “ForceToLeftColumn” for a parameter or a separator
    - Size control. As it is, single-choice dropdowns grow with the contents with…

10. SSRS Should Throw Error on Missing Column

If an SSRS report is looking for a column and that column is not available in the dataset, SSRS should throw an error, not ignore the missing column.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SSRS -- ReadOnly Columns

In our current project, our users are wanting to make few columns read only. And this capability doesn't exist ssrs 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSRS Entry Form Report Type

With the addition of a *simple* "data entry/update/delete form" report type within the SSRS environment your users would be able to build small business applications entirely within SSRS.

SSRS is the fastest way that I know to get data displayed professionally on the web. So why not extend it to be a full application development environment for small apps? It is really close. 90% of a business application is navigation and display of existing data.

Example 1:
    I have a e-form system that shows the approval status and history of e-requests. The initial data entry form has to be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 22 2013 5:38PM=-=>

Wouldn’t this be NICE. Would like to see it a reality as I have a dozen such “reports” that are workflow/data-entry work arounds (for lack of ANY UI Developers). The inability to manage the parameter area is certainly something this suggestion would negate – several “parameters” are simply selection lists, radio buttons and plain text collectors that a simple forms-entry add-in would make so much more usable.

Sadly, can’t see this getting traction, but it is a worthy suggestion (IMO).

<=-=May 14 2014 4:55PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for submitting this feedback. We are investigating the issue and will update you when we have more information.

Thanks,
    Matt Jones
    SSRS Tiger Dev Team

<=-=Jun 2 2014 4:50PM=-=>

Hello,
    Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the suggestion items in our pipeline, we are closing items that we will…

13. Powershell provider/data source in SSRS

I would appreciate a powershell provider/data source in SSRS. There are so many things you can query using powershell that could be presented in SSRS reports. I think it would be extremely useful and flexible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SSRS 2016 Report Descriptions Missing from Tiles

We have an SSRS 2012 Native Mode instance we are looking to upgrade to SSRS 2016 SP1 Native Mode. In SSRS 2012, the report Descriptions appear on the report Tiles. We put a lot of work into carefully crafting the Names and Descriptions of our many reports into coordinated pairs that fit perfectly on the Tiles and clearly identify reports (and folders) to our users. In SSRS 2016 SP1, the Descriptions are not displayed; this will definitely diminish the usability of our SSRS site when we upgrade. It is very troublesome when an upgrade removes features that an implementation is…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SSRS Word Render

Considering these 2 products are MS core products, I would like to see more accurate Word rendering from SSRS. SSRS should be able to translate to Word XML more transparently.

For example:
    - LineSpacing property does not work properly
    - "Table of Content" implementation should be out of the box
    - Word Font and styling should be available to SSRS design environment.

The major problem being Table of Content. I have googled and binged virtually all the websites and this problem is still resolved for last 7-8 years, perjhaps people are losing projects and are forced to find unnatural…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Intellisense needed in SSRS Query Designer

There should be intellisense in designing queries in the SSRS Query designer just like in SQL Server Management studio. Now I hate designing queries in the SSRS designer so I cut and paste into SSMS, create the query there and then paste it back into SSRS which is a royal pain and certainly not an optimum use of developer's precious time.
    Please see attached figure for more details.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Using SharePoint Theme in SSRS Projects

When deploying a SSRS project in SharePoint Integrated Mode, it would be great if we could use the same colors as the SharePoint site. The color palettes that are currently available in SSRS are totally different than the Themes uses in SharePoint 2010. The same choices should be available in all MS products. Integrated mode should be improved to fully integrate the User Interface components of SSRS with SP.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SSRS 2017 Unable to publish reports without System User role

Upgraded SSRS 2016 to SSRS 2017. Content Managers unable to publish unless added to System User role.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Diagonal table column header in SSRS

I am facing the issue to display near about 50 column in SSRS report. I thought SSRS must provided the functionality to arrange the table column header Diagonally, So that it is very easy to display all the column in a one shot.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSRS json datasets

make it possible to call a rest / web api service that returns JSON data, allow for a Json document to be an SSRS Dataset for a report.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 44 45
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base