SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. msmz

When installing MS SQL Express on Win XP SP2 - I given tow Errors message

000 you need sqlcli.msi 000 file
    000 you need sqlwriter.msi000 file

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can not receive email from subscribed SQL 2005 Reporting Service

After I subscribed one item of SQL 2005 Reporting Service, I still couldn't received the reports from it. I checked the status in "My Subscritions", it says:

Failure sending mail: The Value expression for the textbox �textbox13� has a user profile dependency.

What does it mean? How can I solvee it?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Buffer Manager Cannot Get A Temporary Filename. The Call To GetTempFileName Failed.

Receive errors similar to the following:

Error: 0x80070050 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The file exists.

Error: 0xC0048019 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager could not get a temporary file name. The call to GetTempFileName failed.

Error: 0xC0048013 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager could not create a temporary file on the path "C:\Documents and Settings\michaelsh\Local Settings\Temp". The path will not be considered for temporary storage again.

Error: 0xC0047070 at Import File, DTS.Pipeline: The buffer manager cannot create a file to spool a long object on the directories named in the BLOBTempStoragePath property. Either an incorrect file name was…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Apr 2 2007 6:11PM=-=>

Dear Customer,

We have looked into this problem. A possible workaround is: go to the Property page of the DataFlow component, in the Misc group try increase DefaultBufferSize (the maximum value is 104857600) and increase DefaultBufferMaxRows to a larger integer. This will allow smaller number of temporary files to be created, and reduce the chance the temporary folder gets exhausted.
    This method does not guarantee to work around the problem but we are working on our best to fix your problem in our future release! Thank you for using SQL Integration Service and we appreciate your future support!

4. Install SQL Server 2005 from Command prompt fails without IIS istalled

THIS IS a RTM Problem!

If you have IIS not installed on the system and then try to install SQL from command prompt:

Start /wait E:\Servers\setup.exe /qb INSTANCENAME=SQL2008 ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files,SQL_FullText,SQL_DTS,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_Tools90,SQL_Profiler90

The Setup Fails. If you Remove the client components the installation process start.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Nov 28 2005 6:12PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach the cab to this bug report.

Radu Singer

<=-=Nov 30 2005 6:52PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback.

In order to further diagnose the problem that you are reporting, we need to have the setup log files. They can be found in the latest .cab file at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. FYI, there is a summary error report at ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Summary.txt that may help you to diagnose the problem on your own.

Please attach…

5. Report Manager home page "XML page cannot be displayed"

I am learning from the Microsoft Press book, SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Step by Step. On page 34, under Vierfying the Installatino, the book suggests opening the default page at http://localhost/Reports. On my computer this fails to display the Report Manager home page. Instead I get the error message, "The XML page cannot be displayed" with further details which you will see in my screenshots. (I also installed a named instance of SQL Server 2005 Express, so my URL is actually http://localhost/Reports$SQLExpress. I don't think this is related to the problem....)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 19 2006 5:32PM=-=>

We need some more information to diagnose this issue. Firstly, your report indicates an attached screen shot of the error. I don’t believe a screen shot was actually added. Do you have it?
    Secondly, what is the version of ASP.Net set for your report server virtual directory. You can get this in IIS manager on the ASP.Net tab in the Properties dialog for a virutal directory.

Thanks.

<=-=Nov 2 2007 8:01PM=-=>

Closing as we are unable to reproduce this bug.

6. XQuery function local-name()

I have a mail from Paul Flessner who said "SQL Server 2005 April CTP is feature complete".
    but I receive an error message when I try to excute the query below.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 29 2005 1:09PM=-=>

Dear Mak, adding general functions that return atomic values to XQuery at this stage is unfortunately too late. Secondly, I am not quite sure what the semantics of your query should express, given that string values inside a predicate do not make much sense. If you wanted a list of all local names in your document, try one of the following two expressions today:

select Col1.query(‘for $e in //* return local-name($e)’) FROM mytable

or

select N.r.value(‘local-name(.)’, ‘nvarchar(50)’)
    from mytable cross apply Col1.nodes(‘//*’) N®

I will however count this as a design change request for the next version and will consider this valuable feedback for future versions.

Thanks
    Michael

<=-=Apr 29 2005 1:34PM=-=>

Dear Mak, adding general functions that return atomic values to XQuery at this stage is unfortunately too late. Secondly, I am not quite sure what the semantics of your query should express,…

7. local server not found with dot (.) in dts import

normally (e.g. when starting the sql managment studio) the local server can be accessed by providing . (dot) as the server name.

When doing an dts data import (eg from excel) at the 'choose a destination' page of the import wizard the dot is also preselected as the server name, however the local server cannot be accessed, instead you get an error:

--
    ===

===

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. (Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server)

----------------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 18 2005 7:51PM=-=>

Could you see if TCP/IP has been disabled on your server? If it has, try turning it on and see if the connection succeeds. If it does, then you’ve hit a known limitation with MDAC to Yukon connections described in the "MDAC 2.8 clients that use OLEDB may not be able to connect to SQL Server 2005 CTP 15 for local connections that use “.”, �(local)�, or () when TCP is disabled" section of this kb article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899436

<=-=Jul 19 2005 10:46AM=-=>

I have shared memory, named pipes and tcp/ip on all ip addresses enabled, only VIA is disabled.

<=-=Jul 20 2005 4:51PM=-=>

Thanks for your quick response. Did you re-start the server after you enabled the protocols? I setup the same configuration and was able to reproduce the problem. If you did re-start the server can you send the SQL Server errorlog…

8. Transfer SQL Server Objects Task between 2 dbo databases but with a login on one server.

On our shared servers, all the tables are owned by the DBO user. But we login to the server with a different username, say, �mylogin�. When I try and copy objects, I get an error that says �[Transfer SQL Server Objects Task] Error: Table �table� does not exist at the source. �

Why? Because it runs a query on the sysobjects table to get all tables owned by the login you�re using to access the server. Which seems kindof dumb to me. But whatever. So let�s say I then change the ownership of the table to mylogin, so that [mylogin].[table]…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Aug 15 2006 11:43AM=-=>

Hi Gaelmart,

We were not able to repro this issue again. However, we cannot be certain that we were able to recreate the same environment you did.

The repro steps you gave are a bit ambiguous and leads to this uncertainty. However, I am going to close this bug as ‘No Repro’ at this time. I do encourage you to reopen this issue if you are currently seeing the same behavior. If you do reopen it, please include the scripts to create the databases, detailed step by step instructions, and the package as well. This will ensure that we are both seeing the same thing.

On behalf of the SQL Team, thank you for taking the time and trouble to log this issue with us. We are very privileged to have a community consisting of individuals as involved as you.

Terrence Nevins
    SQL Server…

9. SSAS Dimension process fails with unexpected error MDDiscretizer::GetBucketForValue

Processing a dimension containing attributes with DiscretizationMethod=Clusters sometime fails with this error:

Internal error: Unexpected error. File 'mddiscretizer.cpp', row 1532, function 'MDDiscretizer::GetBucketForValue'.

It happens only with some set of data.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Nov 20 2007 1:43PM=-=>

Hi Marco,

The error is raised because we got a single 0-width bucket (both the end points were the same). We now check for this condition so you should now see an error message that there aren’t enough discreet values to bucket.

Cheers,
    Richard

<=-=Nov 20 2007 2:04PM=-=>

Can you tell me if it has been addressed in SQL 2005 (from what build?) or in SQL2008?
    Thank you.

Marco

10. DTS Designer with SP1 get access denied with non-admin user

After installing SQL Server 2005 SP1, DTS Designer get an "Access Denied" error when opening an existing DTS (I am using the SQL Server DTS Designer included with SQL 2005 feature pack).
    I already installed the update of DTS Designer for SP1, but result is the same.
    After the error, DTS Designer opens the package, but the "Task" pane doesn't show any task, so it is impossible to add new task to a DTS package.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sql Server 2005 Express Editon stalls

Full setup of VS 2005 Beta 2, all went well until Sql Server 2005 Express. The progress bar ran all the way but everything stops there. It does not complete the installation. When I try to quit the installation the installer attempts to complete the installation but nothing happens after that. I had to shut down the installer via Ctrl-Alt-Delete

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 2 2005 8:24AM=-=>

We’d need setup log files to track this down. We’ve tested this scenario many times so there might be something special about your system that’s causing this problem. Please try the install again and reopen this bug with log files if the problem repros. Thanks!

12. April CTP - Reporting Services Configuration Manager WMI critical error

On attempting to open Reporting Services Configuration Manager it gives a critical WMI error.

On this machine there is April CTP but no Visual Studio (only BIDS).

Report Manager and Report Builder are working ok. I can create and deploy Report Models and reports

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. April CTP - Programmability node missing

The Programmability nodes is missing in Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio in two clean (after OS install) April CTP installs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 20 2005 8:23AM=-=>

Hi Andrew,
    This is very strange since no one here has experianced the problem. Is there something unique about your installation? Was it on a clean machine ore did you do an upgrade from the Feb CTP to the April CTP.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Apr 20 2005 12:39PM=-=>

This issue does not appear to be rerpoducible in Yukon April 2005 CTP builds. Thanks for your feedback.

14. Unknown file type error during installation

I am getting unknown file type when trying to install the beta version of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. I got the copy at TechEd 205.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 20 2005 8:51AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting the problm. We need more information to help us troubleshoot the probelm. When are you seeing the error (e.g. when you put in the CD, during the setup dialogs, when the files are being copied, etc)? Does the error msg tell you which file is an unknown type?

15. Drastic performance drop on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005

At http://www.internet-ts.net I have setup Personal Site. Album section is full of pictures. Using HTTrack (http://www.httrack.com) to parse site to static HTML into local dir (testing site load) with 8 connections each of them with ~20kb in speed after ~145mb downloaded I have experienced decrease in performances from 100% to 1% and yet having loaded processor 100% 60:40 in favor of SQL Server process versus w3wp process. Issue is tested several times while trying to figure out what cause this issue leaving me without clue. I can test it more if someone has some directions since I have…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 19 2005 3:08PM=-=>

Dear acexman,

I would like to investigate your performance problem. But first I have some questions. When you say performance decreased, do you mean from SQL Server 2000, or from an earlier version of SQL Server 2005 (which version). Could you also say a bit about which technologies you are using to access SQL Server — T-SQL, ODBC, ADO, etc.

Could you look at the task manager while the system is running to determine what the memory requirements are for SQL Server and for w2wp, and tell me how they compare with your box’s physical memory size. Also, task manager will give you some idea how much paging is going on.

Then let’s see if we can identify a single query that is performing badly. One way to do this is to look at batch starts and ends in the…

16. Sept CTP - Books Online Help Favorites sticks open

Help Favorites in Books Online sometimes sticks open despite being set to auto hide.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 19 2005 4:12PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. I was unable to reproduce this behavior, but I created a new bug for the team that owns the Help viewer so that they can keep an eye on the issue in the next release.

<=-=Dec 14 2005 5:24PM=-=>

Thank you for sending us this bug report. Can you please provide us with more information about how to reproduce this problem? What are the activities you are performing before the tool window opens up? Is the problem occurring with regularity (ie every 5, 10 or 30 min)?

Thank you,
    Filipk.

17. Sept CTP - Reporting Services fails to install

I selected to install ALL options of all folders in the Advanced pane of Setup (which I always do).

There was a complete failure to install Reporting Services!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 19 2005 7:40AM=-=>

Andrew, Thank you for submitting the bug report. In order to troubleshoot your problem we will need the setup log files. Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

18. Unknown Error installing - April Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP 9.00.1116

Tried several times, simply get unknown error message

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

My bad, I just saw the log files. The isssue shows up in the Core log file. There is an issue with WMI on your machine. WMI is required for SQL Server Setup to run. "Article: WMI Service Requirement, Result: Error
    Description: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is not functioning properly. Further checks cannot be performed. Action: Please make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is functioning properly.
    The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine HP29674251632 Error:2147749891 (0×80041003).
    "

19. SQL Server 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express - Community Technology Preview (CTP) disrupts internet connectio

Installing SQL Server 2005 Express with SQL Server Management Studio Express - Community Technology Preview (CTP) disrupts internet connection and stops SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager being able to access remote SQL 2000 databases.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 6 2006 12:12PM=-=>

Hi Stevie J,
    Thank you for your feedback. We are unable to reproduce your problem in our test environments using the steps in the repro provided. If the problem still exists and please review the repro information and supplement as required.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

20. Report Builder Drillthrough

Into Analysis Services Tutorial cube i defined the Internet Sales Details

dimension (rolap storage) and a drill-through action ( Internet Sales Details

colums to be displayed) following the tutorial steps. Now browsing the cube

with Cube Browser everything goes fine and the drillthrough works as

expected. Plus because i defined Internet Sales Details dimension to be not

visible this dimension is correctly not visible into the cube browser.

However after generating the report model of the cube, when I use this model

into Report Builder not only Internet Sales Details dimension is visible with

all its colums but the drillthrough…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base