SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keyboard shortcuts in June CTP is very slow

I have had a situation where using keyboard shortcuts (i.e. sphelp, spspaceused) in June CTP is very very slow.

Seems to be down to the call to spproccolumns as below. This is taking up to 30 seconds to run.
    exec spsproccolumns @procedurename = N'sphelp', @procedureowner = null,
    @procedure
    qualifier = N'ProjectManager'

Surely the parameters should be cached, rather than calling spproccolumns every time

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Jul 12 2005 4:27PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the behavior of sp_help through Alt-F1. We are postponing working on this issue until our next release.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Feb 10 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    this does not repro on RTM build.
    Thanks,
    Ramesh Singh

2. SSIS FTP Task consistanly fails when we delete remote files in *NIX FTP session

I have an SSIS FTP Task set to Delete remote files using a variable containing a path off the root of the FTP server with a file mask at the end. ex. "/usr/dir1/dir2/*.ext" It always fails when FTPing to my AIX box. The configured connection manager user has access to delete files when logged in interactivly.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=May 17 2007 10:04AM=-=>

The bug will be fix in Katmai release

<=-=Sep 22 2007 5:05PM=-=>

I am experiencing a similar issue in regards to trying to obtain a directory (e.f. LS) listing of a Unix FTP site. I can connect to the site, set directories and even download files if I know the name upfront. However, in this case, I need to retrieve the names of the files and then parse out a special extension in order to retrieve the actual file and not just a pointer.
    For example, ThisFile,xml,gz,lmp would be the original name but I need to call a Get on ThisFile.xml.gz in order to obtain the actual file.
    In order to accomplish this task, I need to grab the names of the files and parse through each one in a string array prior to performing a ReceiveFiles command. I keep getting a server connection…

3. Job Activity Monitor Incorrect When Start Job at Step

(Why does the Version selection not include editions + SP1? This is Developer Edition (32) with SP1, SP1 still has editions when applied)

When using Start Job At Step, the Job Activity Monitor does not show the job as executing, but still shows idle.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 10 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Hi DarrenSQLIS ,

This is no repro in our labs.

We tried the repro steps exactly as mentioned in repro steps pane and could repro it.

it could be that the step you are running gets executed before you view in Job activity monitor(JAM)
    Can you please test with step that takes few seconds to execute so you can check status in JAM ?

We appreciate your time and feedback.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

<=-=May 15 2006 4:20PM=-=>

Hi DarrenSQLIS ,

It could be that Autorefresh in JAM is not enabled. Please check the autorefresh settings.

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

4. Invalid Parameter formatting

SSIS Package Parameter formatting Error using SetValue tab in a SQL Agent Job.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jan 27 2006 3:37PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this problem.

This has been a known issue and it’s already fixed.

<=-=Jul 18 2010 4:16PM=-=>

Hi,

This bug still exists in

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) – 10.0.2531.0 (X64)
    Mar 29 2009 10:11:52
    Copyright © 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

:(

5. Failure to install SQL 2005 express due to remaing bits of previous version

I uninstalled beta 1 as instructed and then proceeded with beta 2. When it gets to installing SQL Express 2005, it fails. lookingat the log error, it says that it's having incomparity problem with previous version. I see in the services, three items still registered. I have even deleted the directory, but still no luck. How can I completely clean the previous version. Please help!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 5 2005 2:16PM=-=>

Make sure that any version of .Net Framework 2.0 (which also might be called 1.2) is gone.

In any case, beta 2 is very old by now, so I suggest that you download the April CTP instead.

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:14AM=-=>

You can look at the SQL Server log files located: Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log for information on what component is installed that is giving you trouble. Also, look in Add/Remove Programs. You should not have any SQL Server components listed.

6. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Jun 15 2005 7:15AM=-=>

More information is needed to provide any resolution to this. Please attache the setup log files to this bug report.

<=-=Jun 15 2005 8:45AM=-=>

Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

7. Maintenance Plan Job delete results in error

I cannot remove a job that executes a maintenance plan because the jobid is referenced in the dbo.sysmaintplansubplans table

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ExecuteSQL task and parameters exhibits strange behaviour

Parameters do not work as they maybe should or at least the behaviour is not documented

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 2 2006 2:12PM=-=>

Although the bug repros with the current settings of the task, I resolved not repro since I did not know how else to resolve it! If you the user would set the BypassPrepare property to true, the task will work. The problem is with preparing statements with ?’s in them. And I believe this is documented. I will work with UE in case this is not documented.

<=-=Feb 23 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Your feedback is appreciated. When using ‘?’ placeholders, “BypassPrepare” property of the task should be set to “True”. The task described in the attachment works if “BypassPrepare” property is set to “True”. Documentation team has been communicated of this behavior.

9. Msg 8624 with Server Running Low on Memory

I attach the SQL Server error log for a development server. As you will see there is a serious stack dump.

Please pass this on to your product team.

The scenario in which it occurred was that there was a large (60GB) database on the server, which wasn't being used.

Queries started displaying the following error:

Msg 8624, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Internal Query Processor Error: The query processor could not produce a query plan. For more information, contact Customer Support Services.

As soon as I took the large database Offline, the above error didn't occur but the…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 3 2006 9:00AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Is this issue reproducible at will by taking the database back online? If yes, will you please let us how the best way to get in contact with you, so that we can collect all the necessary information to understand and resolve the problem? Also, it would be helpful if you could attach one of the dumps that were generated to the bug.

<=-=Mar 13 2006 3:08PM=-=>

Unfortunately we were unable to reproduce the issue based on the information provided. Please see the previous response to this bug.

<=-=Jul 6 2012 1:19AM=-=>

I no longer have access to this system, so I cannot provide you with any further info.

10. 2005 beta 2 JDBC driver throws XA exception while deploying CMP EntityBean

while deploying CMP EntityBean on WebLogc 8.1 SP4 driver throws this exception:

Unable to deploy EJB: Cec2EntityBean from mbstest2EJB.jar:
    Unexpected exception while enlisting XAConnection java.sql.SQLException: XA error: XAOK start() failed on resource 'MSSQL2005': XAO
    javax.transaction.xa.XAException: java.sql.SQLException: DTCXASTART:Status:0 msg: SQLJDBCXA DTCERROR Context: xa_start, state=1, StatusCode:0 (0x00000000)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXAResource.start(Unknown Source)

at weblogic.jdbc.jta.DataSource.start(DataSource.java:629)
    at weblogic.transaction.internal.XAServerResourceInfo.start(XAServerResourceInfo.java:1140)
    at weblogic.transaction.internal.XAServerResourceInfo.xaStart(XAServerResourceInfo.java:1072)
    at weblogic.transaction.internal.XAServerResourceInfo.enlist(XAServerResourceInfo.java:240)
    at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerTransactionImpl.enlistResource(ServerTransactionImpl.java:463)
    at weblogic.jdbc.jta.DataSource.enlist(DataSource.java:1392)
    at weblogic.jdbc.jta.DataSource.refreshXAConnAndEnlist(DataSource.java:1334)
    at weblogic.jdbc.jta.DataSource.getConnection(DataSource.java:396)
    at weblogic.jdbc.jta.DataSource.connect(DataSource.java:354)
    at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.RmiDataSource.getConnection(RmiDataSource.java:305)

... the rest of the message has been omitted

The message is not informative and the beta doc does not yet describe errors.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 4 2005 7:32PM=-=>

Hi Craig,

If you see the error “xa_start, state=1” this means the initialization of the XA transaction manager failed completely right at the beginning of the first call into the XA procedure on the SQL Server side. So for example the you could have the MSDTC service (Distributed Transaction Coordinator service) disabled or not running. Also, you may not have XA transactions enabled for MSDTC, I found this can also cause this error.

So what you need to do is go to the machine that is running SQL Server (the 64-bit machine you mentioned) and go to Control Panel | Adminstrative Tools | Component Services applet, then drill down to “My Computer”, right click and pull up the property sheet for My Computer.

You should see an MSDTC tab, click this tab and then click on the “Security Configuration” button and verify that…

11. Cannot view database properties in SQL Expres instance

I connect with Mgmt Studio to an SQL Express instance on the same machine. I can open a query window. However, in Object Browser, I right-click a database, and select Properties. This fails with:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Cannot show requested dialog.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Cannot show requested dialog. (SqlMgmt)

Full-text is not supported on this edition of SQL Server. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft SQL Server&ProdVer=9.00.1116.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.UnsupportedFeatureException&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. CATCH handler causes "severe error occurred" in SqlClient when error comes from CLR PROCEDURE

This issue was originally uncovered by Christian Wade.

The repro creates a C# procedur which causes an error to occur. When you run the SQL part of the repro in Mmgt Studio, you get the print messages, but not the result sets, and you get the message "A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should
    be discarded." The happens when I try from a client that uses ADO .Net.

However, if the client is SQLCMD, Query Analyzer or uses OleDb Client, the expected output appear.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 9 2005 2:04PM=-=>

This has been fixed. The error thrown within data access will not be caught by enclosing tsql try-catch.

<=-=May 15 2005 12:21PM=-=>

Hm, I don’t really understand. I know that if you have

BEGIN TRY
    SELECT * FROM notexists
    END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH

END CATCH

earlier caused an error, and this was resolved so that the CATCH handler in this scope is not invoked.

However, in this case I call a CLR function which in its turn invokes T-SQL. Thus, the error occurs two levels up the CALL stack, so if you are not catching this error here, this is incorrect.

<=-=Jun 12 2005 11:19AM=-=>

The behaviour in te June CTP is the same.

Since this was resolved as fixed 2005-05-09, I would expect any fix to be present in the June CTP.

<=-=Jun 13 2005 10:24AM=-=>

The expected behavior…

13. log file viewer, wrong date format

Log File Viewer
    Log File Summary
    The date format in main items is correct (02.03.2006)
    The date format in subitems is incorrect (03.02.2006)[month and day in wrong sequence]

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Mar 2 2006 10:36AM=-=>

Hi Rutishauser,
    Thank you for your feedback. This is a tricky scenario. I tested this by switching my regional setting to English(UK) which follows the EU date format. In the logviewer all date values were in dd/mm/yyyy format except for the dates recorded within the Message field. The message field records the info in the default US format however it is transposed appropriately in the viewer for the Date field. The resolution to this issue is partly by design for the message field while it is not repro for the other fields since all of them display in the machines regional setting format.
    I agree that reading the message field could be confusing at times but the value added by this change, if we were to even consider it would be quite small to the effort and the number of places we need to…

14. SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server

I can't install this product. The message 'SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup has detected incompatible beta components from Visual Studio or SQL Server' appears and the installation stopped.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=Dec 12 2005 12:36PM=-=>

Thank you for contacting SQL Setup.

Please look at the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
    Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup*_Core.log file. It should have a bit of
    information in it saying what the conflict is and some GUIDs indicating
    the product codes of the conflicting programs. The section you are looking
    for will look something like this (and may repeat):

Running: PerformSCCAction2 at: 2004/6/27 13:54:12 Product “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}” versioned 9.00.823 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 9.00.849 The Product Name is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Beta 2"

In this case, the offending product is �Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis
    Services Beta 2" with a product code of
    “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}”

If the programs are still visible in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (ARP),
    please remove them in the order specified by the readme file. If they are not in …

15. Installation of SQL Server 2005 STD 32-bit fails

After uninstalled the SQL Server 2005 Beta. I got an error message at the Workstation Components, Books Online and Development Tools process of the installation of SQL Server 2005 STD 32-bit. The message said "Error : A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to the template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Nov 21 2005 11:08AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you had problems here. Manually deleting keys from the registry is not supported unless directed to do so by Customer Support Services (CSS). Please retry on a clean machine and see if the problem persists. If so, please attach your log files and reactivate the bug. Thanks, Mike RothKugel

16. Unable to uninstall SQLServer Express CTP Beta2

Problem : Unable to remove the SQL Express version installed with beta2.

Origin of the problem : 'failure of loading some IDE packages(Class design / Test design) in VS2005 RTM'.

Current Environment : VS2005 RTM installed ( I have uninstalled beta2 without using the unintall order)

Logs: Attaching my sqlserver logs

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 6 2005 5:48PM=-=>

Please look at the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
    Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup*_Core.log file. It should have a bit of
    information in it saying what the conflict is and some GUIDs indicating
    the product codes of the conflicting programs. The section you are looking
    for will look something like this (and may repeat):

Running: PerformSCCAction2 at: 2004/6/27 13:54:12 Product “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}” versioned 9.00.823 is not compatible with current builds of SQL Server.Expected at least version: 9.00.849 The Product Name is "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Beta 2"

In this case, the offending product is �Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis
    Services Beta 2" with a product code of
    “{982DB00A-9C4E-436B-8707-18E113BAA44C}”

If the programs are still visible in the Add/Remove Programs control panel (ARP),
    please remove them in the order specified by the readme file. If they are not in
    ARP, please run the following…

17. SQL Server 2005 Optimizer problem

SQL Server 2005 Query Optimizer Problem

Version: SQL Server 2005 9.00.1187.07 English (US) beta

QEPs and more detail is in the ZIP attachment +http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us under Relational Server General

The query optimizer appears to me to be getting things
    badly wrong in the
    example below.

Logically identical queries result in vastly different
    execution times
    ranging from 0.1 to 155 seconds.

Of the 3 exists clauses below 158720 rows are returned by
    the first, 0 by
    the second and 2 by the third. The expected execution plan
    predicts similar
    numbers.

SET FORCEPLAN [is] OFF (actually setting it ON/OFF makes
    no difference)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 16 2005 9:16AM=-=>

Please provide a script to recreate the data. Its hard to understand optimize behavior without the context. Thanks, Ian.

<=-=Sep 17 2005 3:58PM=-=>

I added Terry’s original post to the newsgroup, as this post includes the query plans.

I realise that this is difficult without data, but what puzzles me is that two queries that logically are the same get different plans. I would expect them to be normalised to the same internal representation.

<=-=Sep 19 2005 9:32AM=-=>

There are some valid reasons why equivalent but different queries can result in different plans. For example, the optimizer does not always perform a full exploration in order to reduce compilation time. It is very hard to debug without data, so I will turn over to our Test folks to see if they can explore this space for bugs. You may consider getting a “set statistics…

18. Can't install Evaluation Edition of SQL Server 2005 after removing express.

Had SQL Server Express as part of a default installation of Visual Studio 2005. Removed all then tried to instal SQL Server 2005 Evaluation.
    Failed stating change value in template.ini to UPGRADE from ADD_LOCAL.
    The component it has issues with seems to be Workstation Components.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 16 2006 12:36PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. In order to further investigate this issue, we will need copies of the log files under ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Files. You can just zip them up and attached them to this bug. Can you also send a snapshot of the screen or error message talking about UPGRADE and ADD_LOCAL?

It looks like you may not have fully removed the Express Edition Tools prior to installing Eval. If you run Eval edition through the UI (not from the command line), do you get a dialog titled “Existing Components” with a checkbox for “Workstation Components”? If so, you need to check this box in order to upgrade your Express level tools to Eval level tools.

-Jeffrey Baker
    PM, SQL Services Lifecycle Platform Team

19. 100% CPU Usage in SQL Server Configuration Manager

When SQL Server Configuration Manager is open, it generates 100% CPU utilisation for much of the time, even when idle. This makes any other application being run at the same time, very unresponsive.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 1 2005 1:56PM=-=>

The behaviour I see is different from Mike, and possibly less severe. Nevertheless, it’s clear that the Computer Manager is slurping too much CPU for an idle app.

Interesting obsveration is that if I close down the GUI, WinMgmt.exe is still in the task list, although it no longer takes any CPU.

<=-=May 2 2005 2:57AM=-=>

In my case, I see three copies of wmiprvse.exe running instead of WinMgmt.exe. Each wmiprvse.exe runs under a different user name (NETWORK SERVICE, LOCAL SERVICE and SYSTEM). I believe that this arrangement of processes appears in Windows XP and later whereas WinMgmt.exe is the equivalent process under Windows 2000.

<=-=Jun 14 2005 3:24AM=-=>

The workaround that has been attached to this bug isn’t particularly useful, other than as an indication of where the root cause of the problem lies. As the workaround suggests,…

20. Database Mail

I put the Database Mail Log entry in the "Actual Results" field.

People noticed they were not getting emails, so I used "sysmailhelpqueuesp" and it says the "state" is "NOTIFIED". I checked "sysmailunsentitems" and there are 34 unsent emails. I cannot figure out how to get database mail sending emails again.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 31 2006 1:08PM=-=>

Hi Thomas Griffin,

Thanks for your post . This looks like more like support issue and not bug.
    Investigation can get more info if it si a bug, but at this stage this looks more like support issue.

I am closing this bug because there is no repro steps associated with this issue. If you have consistent
    repro steps please feel free to reactivate this bug with repro steps attached.

Please feel free to contact PSS for helping you on this support issue

Thanks,
    Gops Dwarak

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base