SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot connect to a remote server in different domain

In Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio I cannot connect to a remote SQL Server (same version) when it is in a different domain.

(Similar to FDBK24099)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 13 2005 3:56PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you please provide more details involving your configuration such as have you installed SP-1 for Windows Server 2003 and what are the privileges of the logins in question? For example:

1) Is there a two way trust between machines on the different domains?
    2) Are you adding Windows or SQL accounts?
    3) Has this worked previously with SQL Server 2005 beta editions?
    4) Have you tried this scenario with a recent SQL Server 2005 Community Technology Preview release such as September 2005?

Assuming yes to all of the above,

1) Can you add the login name from domain A via New Login dialog of SQL Server 2005 on the machine in domain B?
    2) Is your server is running IPSEC Services or IPSEC Policy agent. If so, then remote connections from machines in untrusted domains will be…

2. "Save Results As" : "Tab Delimited" format missing for query results

SQL 2000 Query Analyzer contained a feature to allow saving query results as a text file with tab delimiters. When using the corresponding feature in SQL Server Management Studio, only CSV (comma seperated) is available.

Even then, the csv file that is saved from this choice does not quote fields containing commas.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. check box in login properties dialog box (Enforce password policy / expiration)

In the dialog "Login Properties" there is a checkbox for "Enforce password expiration".
    This checkbox is normally disabled, if the checkbox above ("Enforce password policy") is unselected.
    If the dialog is reopened with the "Enforce password policy" unselected, then the checkbox "Enforce password expiration" is active. Selecting it causes an error message.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 27 2005 9:39AM=-=>

Hi Eric,
    We are not able to reproduce this problem with the June CTP release. We now have logic in the dialog that prevents you checking only Enforce password expiration without chechking Enforce pasword policy.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

4. Error trying to view reports about database in SQL Server Management Studio

I'm receiving an error when trying to view any reports whiled drilled down to the database level in the SQL Server Management studio window. I haven't installed the Reporting Services, mentioned because it might be related. But when I try to view a report in SSMS I get the following error. "The report definition for report 'Databases.rdl' has not been specified Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 20 2005 4:33PM=-=>

Thank you for reporting this. This issue has been fixed already in internal builds, you will have the fix for the RTM release.

<=-=Jun 20 2005 6:27PM=-=>

Microsoft comments: Thank you for reporting this. This issue has been fixed already in internal builds, you will have the fix for the RTM release.

5. SQL 2005 missing stored procedure sys.sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin

We found that in a piece of custom code when exclusive lock fails we try to call stored proc �sys.spMSadduserimplicit_ntlogin� but as it does not exist in database, we will get error that stored proc does not exist.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 25 2006 7:16PM=-=>

The sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin procedure is an undocumented procedure and is not executable in Yukon. The related matter of why sp_addrolemember tries to call it is under investigation. Thank you for the information to help us determine a resolution.

<=-=Jun 30 2006 2:26PM=-=>

Closing this issue because no defect was uncovered based on the information discussed so far.
    The procedure sys.sp_MSadduser_implicit_ntlogin is for internal use only and cannot be called directly by user-defined code.
    If you think there is an issue here, please provide additional details describing it and reactivate this item.
    Thank you.

6. Fetch size cannot be negative error

When trying to insert a row into a database using Hibernate, the driver throws an exception:

[2006-01-13 13:46:16:745 CET] 0000002a JDBCException W SQL Error: 0, SQLState: null
    [2006-01-13 13:46:16:761 CET] 0000002a JDBCException E Fetch size cannot be negative

In my hibernate.cfg.xml file I have included this row:

<property name="jdbc.fetch_size">100000</property>

It still doesn't work.

However, selecting a row from the database works (even if no row is found). This did not work either if the fetch size was set to 0 (zero, another non-negative number). That's why I included the property row above. So this row helps the select method, but…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 13 2006 2:28PM=-=>

Hi Elector,

In general, we just ran through the entire Hibernate 3.0 suites and did not see this issue, so I suspect this is some configuration issue.
    Our driver will throw this exception with setFetchSize and any negative value.

Could you test this issue with our latest release candidate?
    Send me an email at mattn@microsoft.com and I will post you back with the latest drop.

Matt

<=-=Jan 13 2006 5:08PM=-=>

Resolving pending feedback.

7. The SQL Server service failed to start under installation

The SQL Server service failed to start under installation. I have done the installation with local machine account and domain user account.
    In the installation choose both DTS and SQL Server. DTS part goes well but not the SQL.

Machine : SESSQL02
    Product : SQL Server Database Services

Error : The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."

Machine : SESSQL02
    Product : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP (64-bit)
    Product Version : 9.00.1116
    Install : Failed
    Log…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

<=-=May 31 2005 8:54AM=-=>

1) Windows Event log – there should be information in their on why the service won’t start
    2) The service log flies: you can find these under the install location for SQL Server. This is usually Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Logs (note: you will probably need to check this location right when you hit the error in setup. I believe that once you cancel out of setup these are deleted.)

8. Windows cannot open this file: splash.hta

Windows can't open this file: splash.hta

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=May 27 2005 8:34AM=-=>

Microsoft comments: .HTA should be a registered extension – Windows provides a default registration for it. To check your file associates do the following:

1) Launch Windows Explorer
    2) From the Tools menu select Folder Options
    3) On the Folder Options dialog select the File Types tab
    4) In the Registere File Types list scroll down to see if HTA is listed

HTA should be listed as and HTML application.

5) If it’s listed, click the Adavanced button
    6) in The Edit File Type dialog Open should be listed under Actions:
    7) Select Open and click the Edit button

The Application used to perform action should be set to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe “%1” %*
    Use DDE should be enabled.
    DDE MEssage is blank
    Application = mshta
    DDE Application Not Running is blank
    Topic = System

If this is missing you can use these…

9. subsystem_id

I really wanted to be enthusiastic about SQL Server 2005. I'm not off to a
    great start with that. I'm stymied by yet another wizard that is anything
    but.

I tried to copy a database from a 2000 server to a 2005 server using the new
    "Management Studio" - I got a cryptic message about "Integration SSIS proxy"
    accounts not existing and stuff about subsystems, so I looked around
    newsgroups, and realized that I had not installed "Integration Services",
    needed to make this happen. So I did.

After installing this component, I went into the proxies, to SSIS Package
    Execution,…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 28 2006 5:08PM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Jul 12 2006 1:07PM=-=>

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us. Your comments are very important to us. Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce this problem in our labs using the latest version of the Copy Database Wizard. We believe that this problem is no longer an issue, but please let us know if you can still reproduce it and we will reactivate the corresponding bug assigned to it. If this is the case, we would appreciate very much if you could please provide additional detailed information about the configuration, steps to reproduce, and any other information you might consider important.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Oscar Naim
    SQL Server
    Program Manager

10. Occasionally when Performing an "ONLINE" rebuild of indexes on a table the rebuild will block itself and require a SQL restart to

I've performed many (>100) ONLINE rebuilds of indexes successfully. When attempting the "online rebuild" of all of the indexes on on particular table it would not complete. I eventually had to restart SQL to clear the problem.

I used the "Activity Monitor" of the Management Studio and noticed 2 suspended processes. Both had the same SPID and were obviously 2 threads working on rebuilding the same INDEX. Both had large "wait Time" and both were waiting for exclusive access (Wait Type) for the exact same resource. In the middle of the problem I forgot to record the exact Wait Type…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Feb 1 2006 10:20AM=-=>

I will attempt to reproduce your issue in-house. However, if you can, it would speed up the resolution process if you could give me more information about the state of the server when you experience this hang. Can you get me the complete results of “sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks” and “sys.dm_exec_requests” when this occurs?

<=-=Feb 2 2006 8:33PM=-=>

Unfortuneately I was only able to get this to occur one time and I restarted SQL before I collected that type of information. Since it appears to happen so infrequetly (I’ve had 100+ successfuly index rebuilds and only one failure like this) I have the feeling it may be a luck thing to reproduce this. I’ll be certain to collect more info if this occurs again.

<=-=Feb 2 2006 11:17PM=-=>

WOW… I was able to duplicate the problem! Happend again this evening. The table has 5,748,521 records. Attached…

11. SQL Server Setup failed. Could not find a package to install on the installation media.

Fresh install of OS. Win Installer 3.1 downloaded and installed. IIS not installed.
    Message at fail: SQL Server Setup failed. Could not find a package to install on the installation media.
    Log was submitted to Microsoft.

Last file written was SQLSetup0002CPQDPEN02Datastore.xml; just before it was SQLSetup0002CPQDPEN02Core(Local).log and in part contains:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 CTP Setup beginning at Wed Sep 21 22:04:53 2005
    Process ID : 3952
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\setup.exe Version: 2005.90.1314.0
    Running: LoadResourcesAction at: 2005/8/21 22:4:53
    Complete: LoadResourcesAction at: 2005/8/21 22:4:53, returned true
    Running: ParseBootstrapOptionsAction at: 2005/8/21 22:4:53
    Loaded DLL:C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 22 2005 3:08PM=-=>

Thank you for providing your feedback. Based on your logs, setup failed while trying to open SqlRun_NS.msi from the CD. It is possible that the CD burn was defective and corrupted this file. Can you attempt to download the ISO again and re-burn a CD?

12. Transaction cannot start because more than one ODBC connection is in use

Transaction cannot start because more than one ODBC connection is in use.
    Two applications connected to database using the same ODBC connection. Secont application Starts a Transaction when using an ODDBC connections through SQL Native Client 2005.90.1399.00

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Mar 29 2006 11:48AM=-=>

You have not supplied enough information for us to attempt to reproduce this problem. We need more precise details of the behavior of the two applications concerned and how they interact with SQL Server. For example, what connection options are in use? are transactions started via ODBC API calls or T-SQL statements? What is the exact error message returned to the application? Ideally we need code that we can run to reproduce the problem. If this is infeasible an ODBC trace would suffice.

Possibly you are trying to execute a second command while result from a first command have not been completely consumed? SQL Server has always had the default behavior that a connection remains busy until results are consumed. In SQL Server 2005 this restriction can be relaxed by using the MARS (Multiple Active Result Sets) feature. this is described in Book…

13. SP_ADDUSER adds a user and a schema but SP_DROPUSER drops only the user

The stored procedure SPADDUSER() adds a user and a schema but the stored procedure SPDROPUSER() drops only the user.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. SQL produced by Modify is missing a GO for SPs in SSMS

Whe you try and modify a procedure that has multiple versions the SQL produced is missing a GO between the alter procedure statements.

Primary Issue http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125537 is marked as resolved in SP1 this issue isn't fixed in SP1

The primary item is not the same as this and is marked as not reproduceable. I can easily reproduce this on an SP1 box, using the repro steps

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Apr 24 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your feedback. We will review this to be addressed in a future release of SQL Server.
    Thanks
    Ramesh Singh

<=-=Jul 18 2006 7:55AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    We acknowledge this problem and will investagate furture.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 18 2006 2:10PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    We just made the determination that this issue is not SP2 material and we will address this in the next full release of SQL Server.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 18 2006 11:36PM=-=>

Is that because its a deprecated feature and so won’t be in a future release :)

From BOL
    “Note:
    This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. "

<=-=Dec 7 2007 4:52AM=-=>

This is fixed in katmai.

Thanks
    Sreekar

15. Setup of SQL Server 2005 September CTP doesn't work.

I tried to install SQL-Server 2005 Ent. September 2005 CTP in several test enviroments: German Win 2003, English Win 2003, Server as part and not part of domain, integreated Security, Mixed mode, etc. The results are always the same. When it comes to the installation of the Workstation components or the Visual Studio IDE, the installation fails (although, all services could be installed correctly, and are running).

Note: All attempts I did, I did on VPC (2004, SP1).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 14 2005 10:44PM=-=>

Please reactivate and attach the log files from:
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\log\files\*.log. You can zip the files before attaching them.

<=-=Sep 15 2005 12:59AM=-=>

First of all, I attached the log file, which I suppose is the one in question. I tried to attach all of them, but always got an error message.
    Second of all, I just found out that now there are two ISOs downloadable from the MSDN – one obviously containing the SQL-Server-Services, and not the workstation components, the other ONLY the workstation components. The thing is: Where does it say so? – the describing texts for both are the same. And if the first ISO image does only contain the services, why does it offer to install the workstation components, to begin with?

This is weird.

- Klaus

<=-=Sep 15 2005 1:01AM=-=>

Just changed the title.

<=-=Sep…
  16. Add File as Link to Project is SSMS doesn't work

The add existing file option on the project in SSMS allows files to be added as links, this doesn't work nothing happens.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Aug 22 2005 8:36AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding adding a file as a link to a SSMS project. We are deferring this issue to a future release.
    Thanks,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Aug 22 2005 11:53AM=-=>

Are you therefore removing the Add as Link option?

<=-=Mar 28 2006 9:32PM=-=>

Hi Brent,

Based on the feedback we are hearing from the community we are stepping up our effort to address this issue for the next release.

Thanks for your support and interest in this area.

Terrence Nevins
    Program Manager SQL Server

<=-=Apr 14 2006 1:24PM=-=>

Hi Simon, I just tried this against RTM and I was able to add a file as a link. The file remained in it’s original location and all updates through Management Studio updated the file in the original location. If you are still experiencing this problem with RTM please reopen the…

17. Package crashes on deleting component

In the attached package every time I try to delete the conditional split in the RemoveOldJobRoles flow Visual Studio crashes.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 12 2005 1:32PM=-=>

We could not reproduce this bug using the current version of SQL Server 2005 (CTP16).

<=-=Sep 15 2005 12:19AM=-=>

In CTP 16 this still occurs.
    I have attached the full solution to see if that makes a difference.
    Further I have submitted a number of crash dumps via error reporting if thats of use.

<=-=Oct 12 2005 11:48AM=-=>

I’m afraid we still can’t reproduce this problem. VS will look into the dumps and attempt to fix the issue if it hasn’t been fixed.

18. Save as leaves orphan files in Management Studio

When new file added to project. Using save as does not rename the file in the file system, rather it saves a new file to location and name specified. This results in orphaned .sql files called SQLQueryN.sql in the project folder.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Sep 5 2005 8:36PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the save as action in the project explorer. We will consider fixing this in a future release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Sep 6 2005 5:16AM=-=>

I need to add that this is incosistent behaviour between when files are added normally in Management studio and when added through a project. This I think will be confusing for users.

If the intention is to use the project/solution in management studio then this should be addressed.

<=-=Sep 6 2005 7:16AM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your concern and we understand the problem. We are currently at the very end of this release cycle and we need to defer this for a future release or service pack.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Feb 10 2006 4:44PM=-=>

Hi Simon,
    I am not able to reproduce this with RTM build 1399. Can you verify this…

19. Chart Legend does not size to fit contents

The chart legend automatically sizes, however it does not size to fit the contents. HTis seems to be a problem when the format includes labels from data fields. The size of the data field label is not taken into consideration

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 11 2005 12:45PM=-=>

To be considered in a future release.

<=-=Jan 9 2006 12:20PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. This will be considered for a future release.

<=-=Feb 16 2006 5:40PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. This will be considered for a future release.

<=-=May 12 2006 11:00AM=-=>

NST: Autoupdate only

20. Setting Default Schema in SQL Server Manager Does Not Work

When using the properties dialog of a login I set the default database and schema.

These settings were not reflected in the user properties of the user in the database. This meant that all names had to be fully qualified.

Changes to the database user (using the properties dialog of the user) to change the default schema were also not reflected when the properties were reopened. Here fully qualified names were still required on the "default" schema.

Only when I used SQL:

use pumatest;
    alter user pumaonline with default
    schema = pumaonline;
    GO

did the default schema change (reflected…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 15 2005 8:27AM=-=>

Hi Alle,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the user dialog now setting the default schema. This problem has already been reported and is fixed for the next CTP release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Jul 15 2005 8:33AM=-=>

Hi Alle,
    Thank you for your bug report regarding the user dialog now setting the default schema. This problem has already been reported and is fixed for the next CTP release.
    Thank you,
    Bill Ramos

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base