SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Explain why indexes were skipped

Feature request: expose information about what indexes the optimizer considered while compiling an execution plan. Specifically, the index names and WHY the index was rejected for that particular query. This could potentially be included in per-operator execution plan properties (see attached mockup), an extended event target, or some other avenue.

Reason: many developers and DBAs wonder why certain indexes on their tables aren't being chosen for specific queries. This gives them better tools to figure that out and make better use of the SQL Server product.

I've blogged about this feature request in more detail here: http://joshthecoder.com/2018/06/21/feature-request-index-rejection-reasons.html

This request was…

150 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a built-in table of numbers

There are several SQL problems that can be solved with a table of numbers or dates.
    This is a simple one-column table with numbers from 1 and up. Typical common problems
    solved by with such a function:

o Show me sales for all months, including months for which there were no sales.
    o Iterate over all characters in a string in a set-based statements.
    o Any other query which you need to drive with a consecutive seres.

It's easy to construct and fill such a table. However, there are a couple of problems
    with it:
    1) If you query needs…

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 278

<=-=Feb 1 2008 7:18PM=-=>

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

This seems more like adding the sequence support which we’re seriously considering for the next major release.

Meanwhile, would using identity column help?

<=-=Feb 2 2008 2:11AM=-=>

It does not seem that you understood the request. This definitely has nothing to do with
    IDENTITY. I am less versed about sequences, but I don’t think they will cut it either. If you think
    it does, maybe you could provide an example? Take this problem: For the Orders table in
    Northwind, write a query that lists the number of orders for all days in 1997. The result set should
    include all 365 days, and list zero for days without a number.

This is a typical problem where you need a table of of numbers (or dates). While it’s easy to
    create such a table, I argue in this request that…

3. Provide XEvents target directly into SQL Server table

Provide a way to directly write XEvent output directly into a SQL Server database table in a same or different instance and same or different database.

The goal being to be able to not have any events missed but have the entire stream captured to the table and also provide header information for when the capture table was created for easier management and deletion. Ideally there should be a purge task that could be activated to clean out such captures after X days.

XEvents is a great and powerful tool.
    Customers should have an easier way to get it directly…

122 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SSMS Crash when dragging table from Object explorer into new query window

Have just installed this version v18.1 and everytime I drag a table from Object explorer into new query window SSMS crashes, I have to kill it.
    I have no add-ins installed, have rebooted since installing.

O/s Win 10 15063.1387

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Optimise for Analytics configuration option

Would love to have a new Server-Wide as well as the Database Scoped Configuration configuration that would be called "Optimise for Analytics" and that would server the purpose of tuning the Storage Engine & Query Processor specifically for the Analytical Workloads (Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing, Data Preparation for ML, etc).

The actual functionalities to be controlled by this option would be such as: -E configuration, Query Optimiser huge preference for the Hash Joins, Bigger preference for the Batch Execution Mode for the Rowstore tables, Bigger preferences for the Scans and Prefetching for the Storage Engine, Bigger Columnstore Object Pool allocation…

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to specify a location for the DBCC CHECKDB snapshot

When you run DBCC CHECKDB, by default the snapshot is stored on the same drive as the database data file(s).

It would be nice to be able to specify the location, if you have

- Faster drives elsewhere
    - No space on the same hard drive
    - Less I/O traffic elsewhere

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Porting SMO Library to .NET Core

SQL Server has been ported to Linux for over a year now and it is time the complete SMO library (or what can be) is ported over to cross-platform as well.

Only 9 or so core files have been ported over to .NET Core and this allowed the sqlserver module to port over a small set of cmdlets to PS Core. This does not work for other modules like dbatools that use a wider berth of the library.

There are plenty of other modules in PowerShell (and applications too) that would like to provide cross-platform support for managing SQL Server…

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Replication and Availability Groups with per database DTC support

In SQL Server 2017, when using Availability Groups with Per-Database DTC Support enabled, you are unable to configure replication.

The error received is:
    Msg 3933, Level 16, State 1
    Cannot promote the transaction to a distributed transaction because there is an active save point in this transaction.

By design, per db DTC support does not allow save points. However, Replication system stored procedures make extensive use of save points. As a result, this creates a conflict where you cannot have a database in an AG with both Replication and per DB DTC support.

As a workaround, you must disable per…

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SET STATISTICS IO should also show schema name for tables

When you use schemas in your database, and you have the same table names in multiple schemas, it is not clear, which schema the table belongs too in the output of the SET STATISTICS IO. E.g. a table called Profile, or configuration in different schema is very common at our databases

Today the output is just
    Table 'Profile'. Scan count 1, logical reads 123, physical reads 1, read-ahead reads 121, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.
    Table 'Profile'. Scan count 3, logical reads 13, physical reads 1, read-ahead reads 342, lob logical reads 0,…

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Correctly escape predefined entities in deadlock XML

If you create a table that has &, ", <, or > in the name, it's not correctly escaped in all instances of deadlock XML.

This causes an error when trying to convert extended event/system health data to valid XML for analysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. In-Memory OLTP - allow removal of Filegroup for memory_optimized_data

It should be possible to remove the memory_optimized_data Filegroup and files, if all in-memory tables and procedures have been deleted.

Currently you cannot do this "by design", however this is a potential blocker to people using this technology due to the "no-going-back once it's enabled". It is now several years since Hekaton was first released - support for this feature is long overdue!

At present you get errors such as:
    Cannot drop the last memory-optimized container
    The filegroup ... cannot be removed because it is not empty.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jan 8 2018 12:16PM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion.
    We’ll consider it for a future release.

Are there specific limitations imposed when you have the filegroup, e.g., no database snapshot, that hold you back from creating the filegroup?
    Or is it only the feeling of not being able to turn back?

Jos de Bruijn – Database Systems PM

12. T-SQL Common Table Expression "Materialize" Option

T-SQL Common Table Expression "Materialize" Option

I have run into a couple performance and results issues using Common Table Expressions (CTEs).

The first case is where I coded a data retrieval as a single, large query with a CTE that is referenced multiple times in the query. The CTE has an expensive query. I was able to determine, via execution plans, etc., that the results of the CTE were being recalculated multiple times, resulting in slow execution. I rewrote the data retrieval as multiple steps where the query of the CTE was first executed into a table variable, and I…

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for standard nested window functions in T-SQL

The ISO/IEC SQL:2016 standard defines a concept called nested window functions that allows you to nest two kinds of window functions as an argument of a window aggregate function. The idea is to allow you to interact with row markers representing strategic points in windowing elements like the beginning or end of the partition, beginning or end of the frame, the current outer row, and the current inner frame row.
    The two standard nested window functions are the nested row number function and the nested value_of expression at row function.
    The former allows you to refer in an argument of…

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add SSIS to the SQL Server Docker Image

I work for a large bank which it trying to move hundreds of SSIS packages into GitLab pipelines. This task would happen faster an easier with SSIS on the MS SQL Server Docker image.

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. adomd core

ADOMD.NET Client Needs .NET Core Support

Please tell us when this will be available. We've been waiting years, and all ADOMD.NET does is XML over HTTP - it's pretty silly that there's no support for clients running on .NET Core!

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Visual Studio 2017 SSDT adds hardcoded master.dacpac include

Visual Studio 2017 seems to add a hardcoded path to the master.dacpac if I include it in a project of mine. Older versions of the SSDT used the $(DacPacRootPath) variable to get the master.dacpac.

This is really annoying as it breaks the builds on our build server where the master.dacpac is installed in a different folder than on my development machine.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

SSMS 18.0 redraw issues when switching between multiple query windows

Repro:
    1. Open SSMS
    2. Open a new query window and enter and execute a command, such as:
    SELECT @@SPID;
    3. Open a second query window
    4. Using your mouse, switch back and forth between the two open query windows by clicking on their tabs.
    5. After several clicks (five to ten?), the content of the first window (query and result pane) may appear to be displayed in the second window, but you can't interact with any of the text.
    6. Switching back and forth a few more times may…

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everybody for providing the list. I’ve passed the info to the Visual Studio Team.

In the meanwhile, I have 2 more requests:
    1) If you happen to have Visual Studio 2017 (version 15.9.11 or greater), could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?
    2) If you happen to have SSMS 17.9.1 on the same machine, could you check and see if it shows the same behavior?

I’m hearing from folks here that “changing SSMS such that it disables h/w acceleration by default” is not a recommended thing to do… However, quite honestly, at this point, it may be the only option I can think about.. :-(

-Matteo

18. Database diagrams on new release 18 not work

I installed SSMS 18.0 and cannot find Database diagrams folder. It is just missing. Where is the problem?

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SSIS Script tasks losing code

I have a very strange issue happening that is causing Script Task code to clear out. I have been able to test on 2-3 different machines. We are running SSDT 15.4 preview. The steps to reproduce were as follows.

1. Create a script task inside of a foreach loop container. 2. Create a comment in the script task. 3. Change or add a variable mapping in the foreach. 4. Save package. 5. Open the script task and the comment will have vanished.

As my last attempt for success,I have upgraded to 15.5.1 and the problem still exists.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  17 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Search box in SSMS Object Explorer

Please add a search box in SSMS Object Explorer similar to what Visual Studio has in the Solution Explorer! It should include autocomplete and the robust filtering abilities (by database, by object type, by schema)

It is extremely slow to constantly have to navigate through the tree to find the objects you want. I just want to type where I want to go.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Object Explorer doesn’t populate the entire tree in memory, unlike visual studio’s solution explorer. It wouldn’t know if database “MyDatabase” existed until you expanded the Databases node.
    There are third party plugins that provide this type of functionality, I believe, by downloading a bunch of data in the background and exposing a search.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base