SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multi-Select Issues - connecting to Analysis Services 2008 using Excel 2007

We are creating reports on in Excel 2007 pivot tables connecting to Analysis Services 2008.

If we create report with one attribute from dimension at Row Level and another attribute from same dimension is at report filter level
    when I try to do multi selecting and unselect some members on both the attributes, Excel throws up following error

Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred

When I try to execute MDX query generated by Excel it shows up same error.

Same process doesn�t show any error in SQL management studio.
    Query generated by SSMS and Excel are different.

Also same process…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jan 8 2010 3:51PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We are currently investigating the reported functionality and will provide updates as we have them.

Thank you for assistance,
    The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Sep 28 2011 9:37AM=-=>

It turns out that this bug got filed in our system twice. We are resolving one of the bugs as a duplicate of the other. The other copy of this bug will remain active and the plan is to address it in the release (or in an update) that follows Denali.

Thanks,
    Howie Dickerman
    Analysis Services Product Team

2. TempDB Log file showing free available space in negative.

One of the SQL Server(Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1)) went out of space. The tempdb is showing one strange behavior.

When I tried to shrink the files, I saw the available free space in negative numbers as highlighted. Even the free space percentage is too weird.
    The screenshot is posted on dbtalk@microsoft.com.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Sep 24 2010 1:11AM=-=>

running SQL Server 2005. The server ran out of space because tempdb grew unproportioanlly large. Recovered space but now tempdp is showing available free space in negative. Both for data and log file. If we restart the server, it would adjust but after data loads it goes back to negative.

<=-=Aug 11 2011 2:14AM=-=>

Hi

Greetings from the SQL Server Manageability team.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft. We greatly value your feedback.

We tried reproducing the problem that you are facing, but not able to observe the issue that you describe. If you can consistently repro this, please get back to us, with detailed configuration and repro steps.

Thanks again for providing feedback and making SQL Server the greatest Database server.

Regards,
    Sai.

<=-=Jul 6 2012 12:52PM=-=>

I am having the same issue on Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005 SP3. Same situation…

3. DATETIME parameters getting DATETIME2 values from .NET

When creating a new stored procedure on SQL 2008 and using the older DATETIME datatype something is converting the value into a DATETIME2 style value when it tries to put it into the DATETIME datatype.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Dec 11 2009 11:09AM=-=>

People have been talking about this problem here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/6d455ce9-d699-46b0-9b1f-04cc8a3279ea for a bit now, but no one could actually confirm that it was submitted to the PG for resolution.

<=-=Dec 14 2009 12:10PM=-=>

Hi,

This is a problem with RPC trace, which results in displaying extra zeros in SQL Server Profiler because we always print 7 fractional digit for the type DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP regardless of whether this comes from datetime, smalldatetime, datetime2, or datetimeoffset.

Rest assured, the stored procedure taking a datetime parameter, and being sent a .NET DateTime is actually not using a datetime2 type despite what SQL Server Profiler shows. The stored procedure is receiving a datetime. No conversion is happening on the server in this case. This is only a tracing problem.

Thank you for reporting that issue, we had discovered and fixed it a few month ago, and the next major…

4. Report manager: Access to drop down menu actions.

When logged in as a user with Browser only rights I found that users where still presented with all of the same options on the report and folder dropdown menus as an administrative user. Users should only see the actions which they have rights for.

We do create custom roles for users to provide them with specific elevated rights within their folders but it creates confusion for them when they see actions they have rights to as well as actions they are not granted access to.

This also creates a longer process when auditing security as we must test each…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Dec 14 2009 5:23PM=-=>

Thnk you for filing this bug Deborah.

After further investigation, in SSRS 2008 R2 we have decided to continue assessing the permissions after or once the user has clicked on the item in drop down context menu. We do plan to consider assessing them before and hide drop down context menu items a user does not have access to accordingly in the next major release.

HTH
    Prash

5. Master Data Services Web Configuration Tool Stopped Working after entering in User Name in the Create Application Section

I was able to setup the database successfully. However, when I got to the Create Application screen, the application crashes with the following error message:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: mdsconfigtool.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 4aeb8d24
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 48ead9ba
    Problem Signature 07: 4206
    Problem Signature 08: a9
    Problem Signature 09: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.274.10
    Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I've used the Default Web Site for the Site setting. I'm not sure what is causing the config tool…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 17 2009 3:40PM=-=>

Hi,

We believe that this issue is caused by stale credentials. Both our developers and testers have encountered this issue when using virtual machines that have been left on without regular security maintenance. Can you confirm whether or not this could be the case for you?

Thanks!

6. Corrupt index after doing CREATE INDEX WITH(ONLINE=ON)

We have witnessed a strange case of index corruption after trying to create an index ONLINE the last time. The problem manifested itself in that we couldn't do an UPDATE to a few data sets after creating the index ONLINE. We could do SELECT, so we have noticed that the non-updatable rows must have been created (inserted) exactly while the index creation was underway (we have seen it because this is a "purchase" table which has a timestamp for each data set).

The error manifested itself trough a strange ERROR message (which point at low level problems) every time we…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:06AM=-=>

Andras, is the index compressed? Row or page?

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:57AM=-=>

No, no compression at all (nowhere in our db).

<=-=Jan 11 2010 6:42AM=-=>

What are the odds to get some response on this issue?

<=-=Jan 20 2010 1:13PM=-=>

Andras: Sorry for the delay in the response. I have requested developer to comment on this. I assume that you rebuilt the index. I would like to know if (a) you built it ONLINE and if yes, are you still seeing the issue (b) if you built it OFFLINE, I assume the problem will not come as this is the sceanrio that has worked for you.

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Jan 21 2010 2:13AM=-=>

Well, the correction of the problem was really – as you assumed – by recreating the same indexes with normal OFFLINE. And then, the problems went away.

But even while…

7. Full-text performance with "mixed queries"

Performance drops when mixing full-text query with an "or" query.

Query 1 (slow):

SELECT MyTable_Id, GivenName, FamilyName
    FROM MyTable
    where
    familyname like 'Niels%'
    or
    CONTAINS(GivenName, ' ( "Niels*" ) ' )

Query 2 (fast), Dividing the SQL in queries combining with a UNION:
    FROM MyTable
    where
    CONTAINS(GivenName, ' ( "Niels*" ) ' )

UNION

FROM MyTable
    where
    familyname like 'Niels%'

Query 3, like #1 but without the *:
    FROM MyTable
    where
    familyname like 'Niels%'
    or
    CONTAINS(GivenName, ' ( "Niels" ) ' )

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 7 2010 11:52AM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you getting the same results in all 3 queries?. That is the first I need to know.
    The performance difference you see between queries is expected at least in the prefix case, where the computation of all possible prefixes is going to take longer than just looking for a single term. The difference between the OR and the UNION might need more investigation later on. For now, let me know this info please.

Thanks!

<=-=Apr 12 2010 2:17AM=-=>

This issue still lives. It is related to this thread:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/368166/full-text-slower-in-2008-than-2005-for-or-conditions

Just to update this thread: I created a thread on “Partner Sql Server – forum”, but I cannot access it anymore.

I had made another example:

[snippet start]

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnersqlserver/thread/fc849a7e-0def-45ff-9895-ca0220ca4048

I have made another example you can try based on AdventureWorks database 2005 (http://www.codeplex.com/MSFTDBProdSamples/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=4004).
    This (again) I have tested…

8. An error the file path for ITOps.xlsx is not found prompts on PowerPivot Dashboard

After I install PowerPivot for SharePoint and go to PowerPivot Dashboard, I get an error box saying the file path for ITOps.xlsx is not found. It may be a localization problem.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jan 8 2010 4:25PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We investigated the reported functionality and determined that it was a known CTP3 bug which has been fixed for the final release.

9. Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred. (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services)

Error gets introduced when running existing SSRS reports after updating the cube to include additional sets (for working with relative dates). Existing reports do not use these sets but get effected by their inclusion in the cube.

CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[TodaySet]
    AS filter([D Date].[Year Month Date].[Simple Date].Members,
    [D Date].[Year Month Date].CurrentMember.Properties("Date As Int")
    = Format(Now(), "yyyyMMdd"));
    CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[Last6MonthSet]
    AS {[YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(7) : [YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(1) } ;
    CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[LastMonthSet]
    AS {[YearMonthDateTodaySet].Item(0).Parent.lag(1)} ;
    CREATE DYNAMIC SET CURRENTCUBE.[YearMonthDateTodaySet]
    AS exists([D Date].[Year Month Date].[Simple Date].Members, [TodaySet]).ITEM(0).ITEM(0) ;

The following error appears when executing the dataset from the report designer:

===================================

Internal error:…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Jan 8 2010 3:52PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We are currently investigating the reported functionality and will provide updates as we have them.

<=-=Feb 4 2010 9:28AM=-=>

Hi guys, I am having the same error, but when I want to execute any type of Drillthrough operation from the Pivot table (Visual Studio or SMMS).

I run into the following post: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/957819. I have tried that approach but with no luck.

I am running SQL 2008, SP1.

Please any suggestion?

Regards,

Ben

<=-=Feb 4 2010 9:37AM=-=>

Hi guys,

I solved part of the problem. I had to erase a named set. After that Drillthrough worked ok.

Regards,

Ben

<=-=Apr 18 2010 2:45PM=-=>

Hi,

I have exactly this problem. I have a cube with approx 30 DYNAMIC SETS based on Time. When users want to filter on Time…

10. View Dependencies fails with Transact-SQL Error 515

"View Dependencies" operation performed against a table in in SQL Server Management Studio fails with Transact-SQL Error 515.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 22

<=-=Jan 5 2010 11:55PM=-=>

Hi Rdoherty,

Thanks for reporting this issue, we are able to reproduce this issue internally when table has a filtered index on it. Please let us know if that is the case where you are hitting it too. If not, please provide clearer steps to reproduce the issue. We will try to fix this issue in our next release.

Thanks,
    Sravanthi

<=-=Apr 8 2010 7:16AM=-=>

In my case, I can verify the use of a filtered index but this problem doesn’t only occur when I try to do dependencies on the object with the index. Any object with dependencies with that object is also unable to enumerate it’s dependencies because of this error.

<=-=Apr 21 2010 3:12PM=-=>

In this code, below, there is no provision for referencing class 7 but in my database I have 7 but your case statement does not handle this.…

11. PowerPivot - Minor Suggestion - Add Explicit Menu Option for SharePoint List Data Feed Import

Many people don't realize that you can import SharePoint lists in PowerPivot via a data feed. One major reason for this lack if discoverability is that, unlike Reporting Services, a SharePoint data feed option is not listed in the From Data Feeds menu.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. The query processor ran out of internal resources and could not produce a query plan with WHERE in and several thousand values

The query processor ran out of internal resources and could not produce a query plan. This is a rare event and only expected for extremely complex queries or queries that reference a very large number of tables or partitions. Please simplify the query. If you believe you have received this message in error, contact Customer Support Services for more information. (SQL-42000)

SELECT DISTINCT value FROM sometable WHERE id IN (several thousands of values)

Hardly complex.
    For SQL 2005 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/946020

However this does not appear to be fixed for SQL 2008

A workaround is to build a C# CLR Tabular function…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 34

<=-=Dec 23 2009 4:50PM=-=>

Thank-you for taking the time to post this issue. Whilst we will not make a change to SQL 2008 to increase the limit of elements in an IN list, we are working to improve such limits generally in a future release. Please be aware however that with such queries, better performance is likely to be achieved by inserting the constant values into a temp table and performing a join with the underlying permanent table.

Sincerely,
    Campbell Fraser
    SQL Development

<=-=Dec 27 2009 11:32PM=-=>

Inserting into a temp table is impractical when dynamically generating statements based on previously queried results sets where the WHERE data used orginally can not longer be used, such as after an UPDATE. Or when the process is the result of a dynamic process in a external application. In the case where I ran across this a the values being…

13. datetimeoffset breaks sys.extended_properties

On SQL Server 2008, adding an extended property w/ type DATETIMEOFFSET via sp_addextendedproperty breaks sys.extended_properties.

Extended properties are still visible through SSMS -> Table -> Properties -> Extended Properties.

Reproduced on the following systems:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (Intel X86) Mar 29 2009 10:27:29 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.1 <X86> (Build 2600: Service Pack 3)

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 <X86> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 30 2009 2:53PM=-=>

Hi Peter,

Good catch. This bug is now assigned over to the Dev for further investigation and fix.

Thanks,

Jim Hogg

<=-=Mar 23 2010 2:50AM=-=>

Hi Peter,

We investigated this particluar issue and the fix for this will be part of our future releases. There is a similar bug that we are tracking for this issue – http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/379631/ssms-partition-functions-with-datetimeoffset-cause-error-crash . Given this, I am going to resolve your issue as duplicate of the other issue.

Thanks for catching this issue and reporting to us.

Thanks,
    - Vikrant Arora

14. Calc script using IIF and CASE statements could be slower since AS08 vs AS05 due to the lite mode

It have been discussed with the SSAS dev team and this entry is to allow one the customer to followup the resolution of the issue in a future release.

SSAS 2008 introduced a lite evaluation mode, which is eager mode for fast calculations, a very loose term since the actual algorithm to determine whether a calculation is good for lite mode.

For IIF function, SSAS first try lite mode on each branch when there is no hint present. If lite mode succeed, great, if not, it fall back to strict mode. This algorithm falls apart when there is deeply nested…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Week number ISO 8601 in Reporting Services

Reporting Services expression engine does not support ISO8601 week number.

DatePart(�ww�, Fields!MaDate.Value)

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add ability to disable a tablix in a SSRS report

During development it is often beneficial to copy and paste a report in order to re-use a layout. In doing so the developer may choose to bind the report's existing tablix objects to new datasets thereby potentially rendering any existing expressions in the tablix as invalid if they refer to dataset fields that do not exist in the dataset to which the tablix is now bound. This then leads to errors being thrown when switching to preview mode.

It would be a useful aid to development, therefore, if a tablix could be disabled and thereby removed from processing when switching…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Implement equivalent of Oracle's %ROWTYPE attribute

The %ROWTYPE attribute provides a record type that represents a row in a database table. The record can store an entire row of data selected from the table or fetched from a cursor or cursor variable. Variables declared using %ROWTYPE are treated like those declared using a datatype name. You can use the %ROWTYPE attribute in variable declarations as a datatype specifier.

Fields in a record and corresponding columns in a row have the same names and datatypes. However, fields in a %ROWTYPE record do not inherit constraints, such as the NOT NULL column or check constraint, or default values.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Jan 8 2010 12:42PM=-=>

Hi,

Thankyou for this request, and detailed explanation.

Yes, this is a useful feature; and has been requested several times. It’s already “on the list” of features we would like to add to SQL Server.

Thankyou,

Jim Hogg

<=-=Feb 19 2010 5:16PM=-=>

Big big vote from me! I added the same request here: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/534711/t-sql-t-sql-type-inference-2?wa=wsignin1.0

<=-=Mar 23 2010 1:52PM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for your suggestion. This is already covered by feedback item 124506. So I am resolving this request as duplicate.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Jun 17 2015 12:38AM=-=>

Hi,
    The link to feedback item 124506 does not worked. Did anything move forward with it?

<=-=Nov 15 2017 8:16AM=-=>

Here we are in 2017 without this seemingly basic feature that Oracle has had for, like, decades.

18. Ability to set subscription schedule to 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th specific weekday of a month

Need the ability to schedule a report on the Nth dayname of the month. For example, the 2nd Friday or 3rd Saturday. Right now we can only set it to a specific numerical day of the month. We are using Sharepoint Integrated; just to make sure it is supported in both.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:43PM=-=>

How about the last, 2nd last, etc. too. While most organizations that use this type of scheduling go off of the first, I know of at least one company where expense reports are due on the last Wednesday of every month, so it’s not unheard of.

<=-=Dec 17 2009 6:44PM=-=>

Oh and I hope this type of scheduling enhancement would also be taken up by the SQL Server Agent team.

<=-=Dec 28 2009 8:56AM=-=>

Thank you for this additional input. Please keep sending your detailed requirements. This list will enable us to prioritize those features you deem most valuable.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz

<=-=Sep 28 2010 8:16AM=-=>

Agreed. Since posting this we have found numerous occassions where 1st of the month does not work and we really need to do last of the month! We’ve even had the need for “last Monday” of the month.

19. Subscription option to not send empty reports

When users subscribe to reports, they get copies whether or not there is actually data on the report. When we setup Data Driven, we can address this, but it's not addressable when a user sets up their own subscription.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Setup + Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow Defaulting of Export Type on a report-by report basis

We are starting to use Reporting Services as a replacement for a lot of different tools. One of these uses involves exporting invoices/estimates to customers (many per day). We will always export this set of reports to PDF.

Please allow us to set a default export format on a report-by-report basis.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base