SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Do you have a comment or suggestion to improve SQL Server? We’d love to hear it!

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR parameter ignored for no reason

INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR parameter ignored for no reason (when specified from command line) on 64-bit OS.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Apr 10 2009 4:03PM=-=>

Thanks for contacting us with this issue. This is a duplicate of a bug that we plan to fix for the next major release. This is actually a messaging issue as we need to provide a better message in the logs and on the UI.

Here is the summary of the issue:

No matter 64-bit or Wow 32-bit, once a component is present in anyone of the shared directories, users are not allowed to change the shared directory anymore. This is by design.

So, it looks as if setup ignored your input parameter /INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR=“C:\Test\x86”, when in fact you already had the component installed prior to this setup session, but into the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server” folder. We do not allow you to change the shared folder after that.

The problem is we have a bug that does not clearly indicate this…

2. RepeatOnNewPage option not working as expected

I have a tablix (that is really a SSRS 2005 table converted to SSRS 2008), it have a group with many cells and a subreport in one of the cells.
    I want to have some rows repeated on each page, so I did as suggested in Connect and opened the advanced tablix options, and select each static item I want to be repeated as "RepeatOnNewPage" but still not working, not sure if because of the subreport (which, as I reported in another issue) seems to be also doing strange things as ignoring the KeepTogether directive.
    Also, there is a RepeatWith…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Jan 5 2010 3:55PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in about this. The current expected behavior is that if the contents of a Tablix cell (inside which is a textbox or a subreport in your case) is split across a page, the group header for that cell is not repeated. I have linked your filing into an existing feature request to allow report authors to better control this behavior. We will evaluate this for a future release.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

3. Logging Report Model usage in the ExecutionLog

Currently, when Report Builder is used to access a published report model in reporting services (2005 & 2008) a usage record is created in the ExecutionLog reporting Services database table, however it does not identify the specific Report Model that was accessed - the ReportID in the ExecutionLog / ExecutionLogStorage table references the root-level item in the Catalog table regardless of which Report Model is accessed.

The main problem with this is that because the specific Report Model being accessed is not recorded in the execution / usage log, there is no way of identifying which specific Report Models are…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add data type to Properties window for plan operator

When I look at the output list of a plan operator, the properties for a column under the Output list have Column (redundant?), alias, Database, Schema, and Table. I would like to also see data type here (and collation for string values). I am guessing it has been left out because it would be difficult to determine implicit vs explicit conversion, vs. data type of underlying column(s), but I think it would be useful to see this where possible so that we can quickly gauge why a scan went out of control (e.g. varchar vs. nvarchar, or collation a vs.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 29 2009 11:08AM=-=>

Dear Aaron Bertrand

Thank you for the feedback. The show plan xml and the properties window do not contain the datatype presently. We look at adding this field in the properties window. I have marked this issue for consideration by the product team.

Thanks,
    -Karthik

5. Enhance copy and paste package behavior to include assigning new IDs to new package AND all its components

In Integration Services, copying and pasting packages to enable reuse does not currently assign a new GUID to the pasted/new package. Additionally, the pasted/new package componets also are not assigned new GUIDs.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Windows Fileshare Report Delivery

Fileshare deliveries from subscriptions in Reporting Services require user and password. As an administrator to reporting services it would be helpful if a stored system account of sorts could be used.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Dec 29 2008 2:37PM=-=>

Thanks for filing this enhancement request through connect.
    We will consider incorporating this in a future release of reporting services.
    Thanks

<=-=May 14 2009 10:36AM=-=>

Another enhancement that I would like to see is that where users should be able to change the network credentials used in report subscriptions in one central location.

Currently when users setup windows file share subscription for report they have to enter their network credentials. Now when the users network password changes they have to go to every subscription they ever created and set the new password. This is cumbersome and users are resisting users the product for good reason.

7. Reporting Services Shared Subscriptions

The Shared Schedule feature of Reporting services works really well. However the more we have worked with the tool we have come across the need for a new/additional feature.

In a similar fashion the ability to manage "Shared Subscriptions" would help to manage delivery of multiple reports simultaneously. Email and file shares across multiple reports could be changed through one interface as opposed to every single report.

This feature is key to departmental and functional reporting that is either sent to large distributions or consumed by other applications.

Thanks!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Built-in Printer Delevry Method for SSRS

I would like to suggest that a Printer Delivery Method should be standard in SSRS, in addition to the current File Share and Email Methods.
    Currently, there is some sample code for adding a Printer Delivery Method (with disclaimers) but is would be much better if SSRS came with such this Delivery Method built-in.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Securing SQL server against SQL injection attacks

I have found that securing the following objects within SQL server can effectively stop most if not all SQL injection attacks. By default SQL logins are granted select access to the following: Sysojects, Syscolumns. If an SQL server login is denied select on these objects the attack it stopped in its tracks.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Debugging in BIDS

Can't debug code in BIDS. Can't set breakpoints in the Report's Code area. Can't inspect/watch the Expressions in a object to see why it's not working.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 30 2008 9:15AM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services.
    We woudl like to improve the coding/debugging expereince and we will investigate this for a future release but we do have to balance against the general report authoring features which a majority of customers use and wish enhancements for.
    Thank you for your time and your patience.

11. Make code in BIDS a first class citizen

Accessing a report's Code section or an object's Expression is too clumsy. Additonally, there's no Intellisense either. I might as well be editing the RDL in Notepad!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Oct 30 2008 9:14AM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server reporting Services.
    The coding experience is an area we would like to improve and we will investigate further for the next release. With that said there are a lot of other features/improvements customer would prefer over improving the coding experience.
    Thank you for your time.

<=-=Dec 30 2009 6:23AM=-=>

Agreed – a report’s custom code really should be editable in a normal Visual Studio code editor window with full Intellisense support.

Similarly, when making references to custom code functions in an expression it would be a great help to have Intellisense support for the function.

<=-=Nov 20 2010 12:03PM=-=>

I think having something similar to SSIS .net script task would be ideal. I’m looking forward to Denalit CTP2 (with hopefully SSRS changes included!!)

Regards
    Emil

12. Make Subreport a page break-able object too

I just developed a series of reports where 3 separate reports had to be rendered as a single report for the same group item. Although I worked around the issue by nesting groups off of the same parent and enabling a page break for each group; it would have been a much more natural solution for me to have simply checked a box on the subreport's properties telling it to do so.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Oct 30 2008 4:15PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for filing this request. We may consider this for a future release. For now, an easy workaround is to put the Subreport inside of a Rectangle, and set the page break on the Rectangle.

Thanks,
    Chris B.
    SQL Server Reporting Services

13. EXPR labels in text boxes in SQL Reporting Services 2008 are not useful

Reporting services 2008 now just shows <EXPR> for most of my reports. In the past you could actually see the beginning of the formula and know what you were looking at. Now you have no clue and you have to go to the expression box to find out whats in there. For example I no longer see the text box that use to say:
    =ReportItems!ItemWriterHidden.Value.

Now it just says <<EXPR>>. This is a productivity decline because I now have to click the box, and open the expression editor for that place holder to know whats inside of the text box.…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 19

<=-=Oct 25 2008 11:27PM=-=>

I would add that it takes too many mouseclicks to get to the expression editor. A simple keyboard shortcut, like F2 in Excel, would be fabulous.

<=-=Dec 2 2008 10:00AM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider adding a mode to show the textbox expressions back to Report Designer and Report Builder.

<=-=Dec 12 2008 11:45AM=-=>

Reposting:
    Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider adding a mode to show the textbox expressions back to Report Designer and Report Builder.

<=-=Apr 6 2009 1:18PM=-=>

I concur, a keyboard shortcut would be great!

<=-=May 19 2011 2:15AM=-=>

I agree, a keyboard shortcut would definitely help here.

Also, because you cannot see the expression, it is not possible to utilise the multiple text formatting on a single textbox.

<=-=May 29 2014 12:21PM=-=>

In a complex report with multiple groups and conditional rows, taking…

14. Intellisense for custom code

It would be great to have intellisense for custom code.

We are in the process of releasing a custom assembly to help development teams with common report writing issues. Developers have gotten so used to having the intellisense they can't seem to do without it.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jun 19 2009 11:28AM=-=>

Thank you for posting this feature request. We will consider adding intellisense for custom code in a future release of Reporting Services. Since you mention developers, I’m assuming that you mean we should integrate this into BIDS (Report Designer), not Report Builder. If not, please do clarify. Thanks.

15. WAN compression option

It would be a useful option to provide the ability to compress data on the fly for client connections, in a similar fashion to the encrypt option when you connect to a database. For example, from the client application you could connect with:

Data Source=sqlserver;Initial Catalog=master;Integrated Security=SSPI;Compress=yes

It would be a great ability for remote offices connecting into a central database server over a slow WAN connection and would result in cost savings for small businesses. Larger businesses would probably use dedicated hardware like PacketShaper (http://www.bluecoat.com/products/packetshaper/specifications).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 13

<=-=Oct 31 2008 9:51AM=-=>

Thank you for the interesting suggestion. We will take this feedback into consideration in a future SQL release.

In the meantime, I recommend you trying SQL Server 2008 running on Windows Server 2008, with the client preferably running on Windows Server 2008 as well. SQL Server 2008 takes advantage of TCP enhancements in Windows Server 2008 specifically targeted at large data transfers over WAN networks. Our testing showed significant reduction in transfer times.

You can learn more about TCP enhancements in Windows Server 2008 at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726965.aspx.

Thank you.

<=-=Nov 3 2010 12:40PM=-=>

Your suggestion of using Windows Server 2008 assumes control over the client’s operating system, which you may not always have. Baking this feature directly into SQL Server and the SQL Server provider for ADO.NET would be much preferred.

By the way, this issue duplicates the following suggestion:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/412131/enable-network-compression-compress-tds-stream

Combining…

16. Make UnknownMemberName and AttributeAllMemberName attribute properties instead of dimension properties.

I think user-experience would improve if these two properties were associated with attributes instead of with the dimension.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adding Database Mirroring Dependencies

Currently database mirroring does not provide for inter-database dependencies. In many cases an application requires more than one database to function correctly on the same server. While creating high availability solutions for customers a common question is frequently asked? How many databases does your application require to function correctly and can your application work correctly if the databases were on separate servers? In many cases application can not function correctly on separate servers leading customers to SQL Clustering.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto update statistics triggered more often on tables with less than 500 cardinality

Hi,

One of my customers gave us the folowing feedback on the auto update statistics algorithm.
    THe algorithm is presented here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195565 :
    The basic algorithm for auto update statistics is:

� If the cardinality for a table is less than six and the table is in the tempdb database, auto update with every six modifications to the table.
    � If the cardinality for a table is greater than 6, but less than or equal to 500, update status every 500 modifications.
    � If the cardinality for a table is greater than 500, update statistics when (500 + 20 percent…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Nov 10 2008 11:15AM=-=>

Dear Customer, thank you for the suggstion on how to refine the statistics refresh conditions. While keeping stats up-to-date is generally a good idea, refreshing stats too often may have adverse conditions on system perf, including plan recompilations. We will consider this suggestion for the next major release (after SQL 2008).

Sincerely,
    Yavor A
    SQL Core RDBMS team

<=-=Jan 30 2012 6:30PM=-=>

Hello,

To explain potential notifications. This item was resolved as a duplicate of another. Connect will hopefully pick it up. The item is NOT closed.

Regards,
    Boris Baryshnikov.
    SQL Server Engine

19. Report Builder 2.0 RC1 - Enable F2 on the Textbox object

In RB2.0 RC1 please enable the F2 (Rename) feature for the Textbox object. Also in the Visual Studio this would help.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Report Builder 2.0 RC1 - Editting Relationships

In RB20 RC1 with the wizard to create a report based on a SQL db, there is no option to change the relationships visually. The only way is to edit the query as text.

With db's that have no foreign key relations, like the Ax db, this will slow down the development of a report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Oct 13 2008 8:09PM=-=>

Thank you for using SQL Server Reporting Services.
    The Query Designer which is in RC1, and is accesable from the wizard does allow you edit relationships. There is a section, on the right side, in the middle which is collpased by default. This section allows you to change the relationship types. Granted its not a ‘graphical’ view and has its limitations but you may find useful in some cases rather than always editing the SQL itself.

<=-=Oct 17 2008 4:30AM=-=>

Thanks for the reply.
    My problem is that I have a database without any foreign key relations (here the Ax database). When I select two tables, both are display in the Relationships section. And in my understanding there is no option to link those two tables (without a foreign key relation) within the Query Designer.

Will there be an option to link tables together?…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Feedback and Knowledge Base