SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update multiple nodes / values in a XML column

It would be a great enhancement if it is possible to update a XML column like this:

UPDATE ERINOT
    SET Message.modify('
    replace value of
    ( (/Root/a)[1]/text()[1] ,
    (/Root/b)[1]/text()[1] ,
    (/Root/c)[1]/text()[1] )
    with
    ( "a", "b", "c")
    ')

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jul 9 2007 4:56PM=-=>

Dear Eric.

Thanks for the feedback. This multi-update functionality is very useful, but at the moment we are waiting for the W3C update language specification to be finalized before we add such functionality. Once that has occurred, we will look into it. The current workarounds are to either change the whole parent tree or to do the updates individually.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Dec 9 2007 8:46PM=-=>

or even this would be nice:
    SET x.modify('replace value of (/nodes/nodes[type=“dynamic”]/@type) with "static"’);

—Peter

<=-=Oct 18 2011 2:01PM=-=>

Here’s some additional cases:

— Modify statement chaining
    UPDATE e
    SET Message.modify(’
    replace value of
    ( (/Root/a)1/text()1 ,
    (/Root/b)1/text()1 ,
    (/Root/c)1/text()1 )
    with
    ( “a”, “b”, “c”)
    ‘).modify(’
    xml dml
    ’)
    FROM dbo.ERINOT e

2. AutoClose needs a timeout

AutoClose is no longer very useful in its original form. However with the addition of a timeout, it would be useful for a new class of issues.

Many site are now getting large numbers of databases. Having these spun up all the time is not helpful resource-wise. Setting AutoClose is great in that the database does not have to be manually put back online when accessed. However current programming models that encourage constantly closing and reopening connections mean that the files are constantly spun down and back up again.

I have clients where only a single user at a time…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Dec 13 2007 2:13PM=-=>

Thanks for this suggestion.
    We are looking at methods to safely allow a configurable timeout for autoclose databases. There are several different use-cases which would be resolved by this. Unfortunately is is not likely to make SQL 2008.

3. SSRS - Share Custom Code

Any custom code needs to be duplicated accross several reports to be accessible. Generic functions that cannot be included in .NET assemblies have to be duplicated which makes maintenance not very convenient.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Oct 25 2007 6:24PM=-=>

This is a good suggestion. We’ll consider for a future release.

<=-=Nov 20 2010 11:57AM=-=>

R2 didn’t get it. Will it be available in Denali? I really would like to have easy option to re-use code (not assemblies).

<=-=Oct 4 2011 10:00AM=-=>

I’m voting this up as well. It’s a pain when you want a piece of functionality in multiple reports and are forced to duplicate the effort and maintenance to accomplish it. We probably need something similar to report parts for custom code and data sets.

4. Support for fields based on Dynamic Queries

Hi,

Sometimes we need to use dynamic sql called via EXEC (@aSQL) in T-SQL. We love this feature, which is great, but completely useless in SSRS design as expressions cannot be bound to fields that cannot be parsed by the engine.

In other words, I cannot use dynamic sql to help my reports when I perform my own pivot functions if I don't know how many columns I will have for example etc...

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. E-Mail Delivery in Reporting Services - Encryption

I would be helpful to be able to select (or de-select) whether encryption is used for a report subscription that uses E-Mail Delivery in Reporting Services. The encryption would be for both email contents and attachments.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Stop autorun of SQL reports

When you provide intelligent defaults for reports, they will autorun without giving users the option to review and change them first. This causes unecessary reads from DB and is sometimes hard to abort the processing of a report in progress (sometimes hangs).
    Typical params are date range - which we should try and default, but not automatically run report on.
    Other option at present is to pick a param to leave blank so that user has to enter something, instead of just review.
    There have been several post regarding this int he forums and MVPs say it is an often…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Jul 9 2007 10:09AM=-=>

Thank you for filing this item. We’ll consider it as a potential improvement in a future release.

<=-=Feb 6 2009 8:32AM=-=>

This is still a very relevant need. I hope consideration will be given to incorporating a feature to prevent a report from automatically running when initially navigating to it, or when previewing it in a designer environment.

7. Discussion or Forum Like Facility on Databases, Tables and Fields, SPs or any critical MSSQL object

I dunno if this sounds absurd but it can be very useful in my opinion. I dunno if other DB products have this.

would it be nice if an individual or a team could conduct internal or private thread-like discussions (those found in forums) on every sql objects within Management Studio? A blogging or a wiki facility could be helpful too. :)

This could help improve comminucations and discussions among those involve in managing, designing and developing a DB object. Issues, changes, debates, notes can be recorded using this facility and it can persist throughout the life of the database…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Jun 13 2007 11:24AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback! This is a very interesting suggestion. I can imagine that two categories of features might be helpful: (a) annotations and discussions on specific objects and specific databases, and (b) online annotations and discussions on object types (e.g. on a particular system stored procedure).

It is not possible to implement this feature in the next – however, we will definitely consider this suggestion in planning for a future release. If you have any more specific suggestions or thoughts on this issue, please send them along. Thanks again.

8. SSRS - Expand/Collapse Icon

The icons that are used for the expandable/collapsable sections should be configurable to fit other UI look-feel options. These icons appear as +/- for all groups and all reports today.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. better managability for expression-based connection strings

You should be able to administer expression based connection strings from Report Manager. You should be able to turn a hardcoded connection string into an expression based one. And you should be able to make a shared data source use an expression based connection string. And a shared data source which uses an expression-based connection string should be able to refer to report properties like User!UserID or report parameters or anything else. (The expression should not be validated during editing the shared data-source. If you get it wrong, it will blow up during report execution.)

As it currently is, you…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 23

<=-=Jul 20 2007 1:43PM=-=>

Thank you for filing this issue – we will consider it for a future release.

<=-=Nov 16 2010 4:21AM=-=>

We have a workaround to embed the datasource in the RDL and use a VS addin to prepare the RDL for deployment (and also the other way round if we want to have the preview functionality again in BIDS). But having this embedded datasource has another drawback: we are not able to do modifications in ReportBuilder, because ReportBuilder does not support custom data extensions. So we really need the possibility to have expression based connection strings in a shared datasource. And references to report parameters (of course not the query-based ones for which you need the datasource) should be resolved.

10. subscription monitoring report

There should be a built-in way or some sample code for setting up a daily monitoring email which tells you the status of subscriptions, snapshots, etc. It shouldn't use a SSRS subscription in case the SSRS service is down. (It's not good to rely on the technology you're monitoring for sending the monitoring emails.)

The monitoring report should tell you about which instances (i.e. rows in the data-driven subscription dataset) failed (including the data from that data-driven subscription dataset row). If the subscription is email, it should tell you which emails were undeliverable. It should also tell you which report…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. change what out-of-line DataSourceView impacts

During SSAS processing, when you specify an out-of-line DataSourceView tag inside a Process tag, it should only impact that one Process command, not any other Process commands inside that batch. Currently, it does impact all Process commands in the batch. This is very unfortunate because if you're doing ProcessUpdate on all dimensions except for one, it would be nice to be able to specify an out-of-line DataSourceView for just the one dimension you're doing a ProcessAdd on. For more info, see: http://www.artisconsulting.com/Blogs/tabid/94/EntryID/2/Default.aspx

Also, if you specify an out-of-line DataSourceView, you have to specify an out-of-line DataSource or you get an…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 21 2008 1:40PM=-=>

Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, while it was considered, we were not able to get this into SQL Server 2005. We will be considering this for our next release.

The Analysis Services Team

<=-=Mar 21 2008 1:40PM=-=>

Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, while it was considered, we were not able to get this into SQL Server 2005. We will be considering this for our next release.

<=-=Mar 21 2008 1:44PM=-=>

Sorry Furmangg,

Made a mistake in the previous post. This will not make it into SQL Server 2008 but will be considered for the next release. Did not want to mislead you so re-posted.

12. User!UserID and data-driven subscriptions

I had this discussion with some SSRS team members during the BI conference and there was some difficulty in grasping the business case behind this request. I hope to explain that.

We want to be able to design reports to tell the backend datasource who the user is so that the appropriately secured rows can be returned. For a report based on a SQL stored proc, this is usually accomplished by passing the User!UserID (i.e. domain\username) in as a parameter. (Call this Scheme A.) For a report based on an MDX query, this is usually done in one of two…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Aug 30 2007 6:16AM=-=>

Segments of our business have the same requirement. Example: Salesman “A” could select a detail report, but we need to pass his ID to backend to return only his accounts/regions/etc. Sales Manager “X” may control 50% of Salesman “A” accounts, and Sales Manager “Y” has other 50%. Sales Director doesn’t want “X” or “Y” to see each other’s data, but run same ‘district’ report.

In the past, our business has eliminated BI vendors because they could not satisfy this x-layered security model in live reports.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 5:14PM=-=>

This is a good suggestion. While it will not make the 2008 release, we will consider it for a future relase of the product.

13. triggering schedules based upon external event

Allowing an SSRS subscription/schedule to be triggered not based upon a time, but upon an external event. Give us a stored proc to run to trigger a named event. Also give us a SOAP method to trigger that event.

Also, give us a better way to all users to create subscriptions themselves, but to allow IT to have some control over the time of day when they are allowed to create subscriptions. For instance, it would be nice to be able to define a policy that says, "Users cannot create a subscription schedule that will fire between the hours of…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jun 1 2007 8:13AM=-=>

Quick addition: In terms of limiting what time ranges are valid for users to use for personal subscription schedules, it would be nice if there were a way to limit them to only build subscriptions triggered by an external event. Most users will want their subscriptions to be kicked off as soon as the ETL is complete, so if the administrators could define limits on which types of scheduling (time based vs. external event based), that would be nice.

<=-=Jun 1 2007 12:38PM=-=>

Another quick addition: It would be nice to be able to combine calendar logic and external event logic. I would like to be able to define a schedule that says “run on Mondays” but have that schedule not kick off until I fire the “ETL Completed” external event.

<=-=Oct 25 2007 5:11PM=-=>

These are all great suggestions. As we are…

14. Exists function which uses a member property as a parameter

Currently, the Exists function can only take in an attribute hierarchy, not a member property. It would be nice if you could use the Exists function to quickly get a list of members with a certain member property.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Updates to Index Defragmentation Best Practices White Paper with SQL Server 2005 content

I would like to propose for a newer version of Index Defragmentation best practicies for SQL Server 2005 version, in similar this was availabel in SQL Server 2000 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/ss2kidbp.mspx link.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 17

<=-=Jun 21 2007 8:24AM=-=>

I think sooner you get such documentation is better in order to follow the best practices in this regard.

<=-=Dec 4 2007 5:04PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking into what white papers to write for Katmai. We will consider this as one of the areas

<=-=Jan 4 2008 4:14AM=-=>

Thanks, that will help lot of DBAs out there who are struggling to judge on the best practices basis.

<=-=Sep 25 2008 10:52AM=-=>

I certainly would like this info. Although SQL 2008 is due out soon, it will be at least a year before we upgrade our servers, probably 2. Updating the best practices 2005 article would be very helpful NOW.

<=-=Dec 12 2008 2:48AM=-=>

Great to know that, how about the status on that aspect?

<=-=Mar 13 2009 11:31AM=-=>

we are working on an udpated doc to be releaase as a…

16. Dynamic SubReports (parameterize the subreport property)

It would be nice to have the ability to have the subreport selection on the "containing" report be parameterized. Currently, it cannot be set dynamically and has to be set to one and only one report.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Finer grain control over ALTER TABLE permission

ALTER TABLE has a far sweeping effect to allow all table alterations to be made by the user it is granted to. I find myself in situations where I want to allow a user (typically an application administrator or a non-user account used for processing) to create/alter/drop indices (or foreign keys sometimes) on a table, but I don't want to grant the user full access to modify the structure of the table itself. The reason for this is sometimes a user is capable of manipulating indices (which typically don't cause an application to fail) vs. manipulating columns in a table…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Mar 31 2008 3:01PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. This is something that we will definitely consider for a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Il-Sung.

<=-=Feb 11 2013 2:22PM=-=>

Hi, Thank you for the suggestion. This is something that we will definitely consider for a future release of SQL Server. Thanks, Il-Sung.

18. Web Report Viewer parameters access.

Hello.

We have a request to make Web Report Viewer refresh report with each post-back.
    It's default behavior includes doing a lot of post-backs, when the parameter values are being selected, but only when the "View Report" button is click the report gets refreshed.
    The report viewer doesn't expose this functionality, and even more - the selected parameters values cannot be retrieved from the ReportViewer object, because the ServerReport.GetParameters() function gets the updated selected value only after the "view report" button was clicked. The only possible way, I've discovered to do it is to get from the page values of…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Oct 25 2007 5:09PM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll consider for an upcoming release.

<=-=Mar 10 2009 4:48PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. The feature that you have requested is being consider for the future release of the Report Viewer. This particular defect is resolved as duplicate because there is an existing work item for this issue.

Thank you.

Stella Chan
    Lead Program Manager
    SQL Server Reporting Services

19. Option to create logion SID from existing database

I just wish to reopen 269442. It is clear that the closer has not carefully considered the options. Closed - Not Reproducible is just silly. It's a very common problem which, while it is possible to work around, deserves easier syntax.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. HASHBYTES function should support large data types

The hashbytes function (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174415.aspx) supports only up to 8kB of data (varbinary(8000 )). E.g. this does not work:
    print hashbytes('SHA1',replicate(cast(N'test' as nvarchar(max)), 16000))

I want to use it to compare strings faster by using it with a table similar to the following:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[HashbytesTest](
    [ID] [bigint] IDENTITY(0,1) NOT NULL,
    [NVarCharMaxText] [nvarchar](max) NOT NULL,
    [TextSHA1Hash] AS (hashbytes('SHA1',[NVarCharMaxText])) PERSISTED,
    [TextDatalength] AS (datalength([NVarCharMaxText])) PERSISTED,
    CONSTRAINT [PK_HashbytesTest] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    ([ID] ASC))

INSERT INTO [HashbytesTest] ([NVarCharMaxText]) VALUES (replicate(cast(N'Text' as nvarchar(max)), 5000))

Fails with:
    Msg 8152, Level 16, State 10, Line 1
    String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 48

<=-=May 30 2007 4:34PM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for your feedback. We are triaging all the possible enhancements to the future releases of SQL Server. We will look into the feasibility of supporting Large data types in Hashbytes function, in a future release of SQL Server. Thanks again for your suggestions. These will help us make SQL Server a better product.

— srini
    Program Manager, Relational Engine

<=-=May 6 2008 4:57PM=-=>

Could someone please fix the documentation???

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174415.aspx

Which currently states that the output is limited to 8000 bytes! This is wrong.

<=-=Mar 27 2009 2:40PM=-=>

None of the supported hash algorithms produces an output that exceeds varbinary(8000). So what’s wrong with the docs?

<=-=Aug 11 2009 11:53AM=-=>

Same error message with SQL Server 2008 R2 August CTP

<=-=Jan 13 2014 9:01AM=-=>

The same error almost 7 years later, in SQL 2012 (11.0.3393). Microsoft come on, fix it!

<=-=Feb 19…
1 2 75 76 77 79 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base