SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change the title of a report to be different from .rdl file name

If my RDL file is named Reportforseeingthings.rdl

Displayed the web portal report title as "Report for seeing things"

This would allow users to adhere to URL design best practices and give designers the ability to accomodate their clients naming pattern requests.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adding Multi-column IN clause support by SQL Server

Currrently, SQL Server does not support multi-column IN clause. For example, the following query :
    Select * from tableA where (columnA, columnB) in select (columnX,columnY) from tableB
    will not run, failing by displaying the error :
    non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected”

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The Context Menu in the object explorer is incorrect.

When using a dark color theme, the context menu can not be read.
    Background and foreground colors are black.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. List of Databases on SQL Server Manager

SQL Server Manager list all databases registered on the server, not taking into account the access restrictions that certain login might have, causing a user to get lost on that list and looking for a specific database he/she is interested in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Dec 31 2010 3:54AM=-=>

Hi Juan,

We have another connect issue opened for same issue. As that issue currently has more vote count, we will consider your issue as duplicate of that issue and will keep tracking the other one.

You can visit the other issue using this link http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/345379/display-only-sql-server-objects-that-you-have-access-to

We are planning to address this issue in SQL Server’s next major release.

Regards,
    Sumesh

5. Allow Multiple Column Subqueries

There is no implementation in TSQL to allow for Multiple Column Subqueries.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 27 2010 11:47AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for your feedback. We are already tracking the request for row value constructor at:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/299231

So I will resolve yours as duplicate of the above connect item.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Sep 27 2010 12:26PM=-=>

While it does seem to be a duplicate of the other request, I see the other request has been open for 3 years. Will this feature ever be implemented?

6. SSAS - add a new DMV to list all partitions in an existing cube

It would be very helpful to have a DMV that could list all partitions in a given cube (MG), includes the cubedb, cubename, measure name/id, partition ID/name, last process date, size, etc.

We used to use C# or discover command to get that.

It would be easier for us to get the status down to the partittion level, also easier for us if we need to process indexes, data on the partition level.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SSRS RDL needs method to compute export filename and document properties with expressions

Disregarding subscriptions delivered via file shares, when a report is exported, it always gets the same name. Exporting the Invoice report with input parameter Invoice Number set to 12345 generates "Invoice.PDF" rather than "Invoice 12345.PDF". We need a feature supported in Report Manager and Report Viewer, that allows filename and other document properties (title, subject, author, keywords, etc) to be calculated (not hard-coded) inside the report so that when a user decides to export all of this is contained in the output.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Feb 16 2010 6:55AM=-=>

Couldnt agree more. This is basic functionality. We need ability to generate dynamic PDF document properties, especially document title.

<=-=Feb 26 2010 12:54PM=-=>

Hi, Thanks for filing this enhancement request on connect. We will consider this in a future release of reporting services.

<=-=Feb 25 2011 3:03AM=-=>

Hi..

Please ensure that this feature will be included in SQL SERVER 2011 (Denali) . This is very much required in our project where SSRS reports are exported to word and the filename needs to be based on the parameter values selected.

Thanks
    Kiran B

<=-=Mar 14 2011 5:09PM=-=>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/8b9325b9-d0f6-476c-b9c9-236301df5536

I feel that this should have been a given as well. I would also like to request that dynamic file names be an added option on the file name save.

Thank you,
    Rocco Couts

8. Change table schema after enabling CDC

Table1 has cdc table as cdc.db.table1CT
    I added a new column to table1 , but the changes are not reflected to cdc.db.table1
    CT.

Also i modified a column name , i got an error message says

Error where encounted during saving process.Some database object were not saved
    'table1' table
    - Unable to rename column from 'x' to 'xy'.

Cannot alter column 'x' because it is 'REPLICATED'.
    A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

I tried Disable / Enabe CDC.

That works good but it deleted all the previous data.

Is there…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 26

<=-=Jan 19 2010 1:43PM=-=>

Hi Eva,
    You should be able to capture a new instance of CDC when you make a schema change. After that point all changes to the table should be captured in the new instance. The old capture instance can be dropped if the changes have been processed. Please read “cdc._CT transact-SQL” topic to get more information on DDL.

Thanks

<=-=Jan 19 2010 2:08PM=-=>

I don’t want to drop all my old capture instance(old history). Is there any way.

<=-=Sep 28 2012 7:45AM=-=>

Don’t you love when Microsoft has a great idea but just can’t or won’t bring it to completion. Duplicate of.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/552372/change-data-capture-preserve-history-when-adding-new-columns

<=-=Feb 20 2013 3:33PM=-=>

We appreciate the proposal but current engineering focus doesn’t allow us to invest on this change… If there are continued increase of interest, we can revisit.

9. Indexed Views - Option for Delayed Seperate Index creation Process - Akin to Full Text Indexing

Indexed Views would be a fantastic feature � if I could ever use them!
    Unfortunately Microsoft�s implementation of these has so many restrictions on their creation � that I can�t use them in the real world.
    I need highly normalised narrow tables in order to support data integrity and prevent update anomalies.
    I would like to join these automatically by the system, into entity based views that are easy to understand for users � and fast for them to query � without the huge hassle, expense and risk of data anomalies, inherent with creating and maintaining a data warehouse and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Sep 3 2010 8:55AM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. Do you think you could post examples of views you’d like to materialize but can’t, with an explanation of why specifically you want to materialize them?

Are you querying the views directly with NOEXPAND or are you expecting indexed view matching to work?

Since eventual consistency is good enough for you, consider creating user-defined snapshot tables where you select the contents of your “view” into a table and then query the table directly.

-Eric

<=-=Sep 7 2010 3:39AM=-=>

Thanks for responding.
    The views I wish to materialize have ragged hierarchies such as: Charts of accounts or Product Category catalogues.
    Within these views, I need to calculate: node depth from root, sibling ranks and a materialised paths to the root, for all nodes. This is no problem for me using either a CTE OR a UDF incorporating a While loop (I…

10. Autofit in SSRS Excel Export

Currently when exporting an SSRS report to Excel, the widths of the fields are all fixed size, rather than set up based on the largest field in the column. I know there is the CanGrow property, but that increases the height of the cell rather than the width. Is there a way an AutoFit property can be applied?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Dec 1 2010 12:50PM=-=>

Any word on this?

<=-=Dec 10 2010 7:51AM=-=>

Also when exporting in Excel, I noticed now that if i have a column that is set as either .75" or 54pts, when it exports to excel and you view the page layout, the column shows in excel as .79"

The cell has no padding and the cangrow/shrink is set to false for both, so something is going on in the rendering extention that we cannot figure out..

<=-=Apr 15 2016 6:04AM=-=>

Microsoft Team – Can you please update on this ? if any work around.

11. Non Aggregating fields in Tabular Models

On attributes in the UDM there's a property called IsAggregatable.
    Tabular models need the equivalent property?

i.e we have a field that is the equivalent of a costing model.
    Models can be compared but they should never be added together.

Users get incorrect results if 2 models are added. (This is the default in Excel. i.e. if the user doesn't explicitly select a model before doing any analysis the results are overstated)

The issue is worse because there isn't any exposed default memmber property.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SQL Server Audit - Need actual values stored with Audit record

When SQL Server stores the Audit record, the values in the update clause and where clause are replaced with parameters. To meet the requirements to audit who viewed and changed information (specifically what information), we need to store the actual values with the audit record.

This is a great new feature, but without the values, it isn't sufficient to meet requirements.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 30 2010 10:18AM=-=>

Hi Tracy,

First of all, thank you for your feedback!

In order to investigate further, I wanted to get an understanding of how this query is invoked. Are you noticing this behavior when invoking the query using a stored procedure?

Thank you and regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jul 7 2011 4:28PM=-=>

Hi,

We have detected another connect item requesting for the same functionality.

We have linked this connect item with another connect item that is kept open (http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/624935/sql-server-2008-database-audit-on-insert-update-and-delete-actual-sql-and-not-parameter-values) and closed this item.

Thank you and regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

13. SSRS: Providing ability to annotate/comment in report design

One feature I would like to see Microsoft introduce to SSRS is the ability to annotate or comment, anywhere within the report. As a programmer who has moved to Reporting Services I find the "graphical programming" fantastic and easy to use: reports are easy to build but then often difficult to change or debug because there are settings and checkboxes in a million different places within the report design.

Would be great if there is a way of annotating in SSRS reports. Currently SSIS for example has a way of adding programmer comments on the Design surface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Oct 26 2011 2:18PM=-=>

This is a critical feature to reporting at my organization. There is value add for analysts to be able to annotate reports (as mentioned above) anywhere in the report. It is sometimes called data sense making. Without it, we cannot fully adopt SSRS and still need to take advantage of being able to do so in Excel using objects. I would suggest the ability to annotate a published report by a category of users with the right permissions. Data is vetted and interpretted as makes its way up the chain and that is an important function of the chain itself. By the time the PM, or Executive sees the reports, the data should be interpretted and annotated.

<=-=Jul 18 2015 11:16AM=-=>

@Kingstepper, I read your comment as wanting to be able to annotate a rendered report whereas the original suggestion from Theroyale is asking…

14. Server-wide read permissions

Any chance of creating server-wide read permissions?

I�m trying to set up, in SQL Server 2012, a user-defined server role to give DBAs read access to everything on the server. The idea of the role is to provide safe access for DBAs so they can browse everything but update nothing. The sort of role you could give to a new DBA to investigate things without worrying about the DBA dropping or updating something.
    In a sense what I�m looking for is a server-level version of the database db_datareader role. I want to be able to see the data in tables…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Microsoft Reporting Services should support export of PDF/A format

Currently the PDF export within Microsoft Reporting Services does not support the PDF/A. As export of PDF/A compliant documents is meanwhile supported by Office 2007 applications, this support should urgently also be added to Microsoft Reporting Services.
    Archiving of rendered reports is a standard scenario for most businesses and therefore conformity with the PDF/A standard seems to be crucial for this use case.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 30

<=-=Feb 21 2011 4:05PM=-=>

Thanks for this suggestion. We currently support PDF 1.3 and do not support PDF 1.4 or PDF/A-1.
    That said, we do provide some features that make documents better-suited to archiving; for instance, as of SQL Server 2008, we embed fonts except for some standard ones (e.g., Arial).

We’d love to hear your comments on the need for PDF/A support. Is official PDF/A support critical? Or are we lacking support for specific aspects, and would addressing some of them without necessarily providing official PDF/A support still be valuable?

Riccardo Muti
    SQL Server Reporting Services

<=-=Feb 21 2011 11:43PM=-=>

Hello Ricardo,

Official PDF/A support is critical for us because of FDA regulations. We provide a MS SQL Server Reporting Services based reporting within our product for our customers. Not all, but many of these customers are in FDA-regulated fields of…

16. Create folders for Agent Jobs

Hundreds of agent jobs makes the list very long and cluttered. For example, my reporting server has 70 subscription jobs that no one will ever need to look at.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Apr 12 2010 7:07AM=-=>

Please search before entering duplicates:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/286925/ssms-allow-folder-grouping-for-sql-agent-jobs

<=-=Apr 13 2010 7:43AM=-=>

I did. I just missed it.

<=-=Apr 13 2010 8:30AM=-=>

Thank you for the feedback – we are considering fixing this for our next release.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Apr 22 2010 10:26AM=-=>

I’ve closed this bug as a duplicate of another issue that tracks this same functionality.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

17. Report Index creation time and modification time

Every 'first class' object in SQL Server has a creation time and a modification time as listed in sys.objects.createdate and sys.objects.modifydate.

Why do indexes not have a create or modify date?? Seems like such a simple feature, how has it been missed all these years?

Even new features (i.e. XML SCHEMA COLLECTION) has a create and modify date. Indexes have been around since the begining of time! Let's get this added.

The only half way workaround is to query STATS_TIME, but this only gives the LAST time that stats were created for this index. It will NOT give…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 30 2010 6:12PM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion. For now, the work around is to create DDL trigger and track the index creation/alter in your own tables. This will allow you to get the information you are looking for.

I will mark this item as closed as there is already an item with connect-id (feedback-id) 394870

Thanks
    Sunil

18. Ability to use expresssion in exec stored_procedure

It would be nice to have ability to use expression when call procedure.
    exec myProc 1, ('prefix:'+@s), (select count(1) from tableA)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Pivot Function

The pivot function needs to be improved to not require knowledge of the columns beforehand. Access had this feature a long time ago and sometimes you don�t know what the columns will be in advance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow SQL Agent jobs to be scheduled using UTC time

SQL Server 2008 has introduced UTC based date/time data types. However SQL Agent jobs can still only be scheduled using the server's local time.

Often there is a requirement to have a job run at a fixed time and not to move based upon daylight savings changes. Being able to select a schedule based on either server time or UTC time would allow the flexibility to schedule the job exactly when it needs to run and not have to make changes to schedules/jobs whenever daylight savings time starts or ends.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Mar 7 2011 1:11PM=-=>

Thank you for proposing a DCR for our component. We will consider it as a part of our next major release.

Thanks,

Alex Grach

<=-=Mar 1 2013 11:24AM=-=>

Hello

We took a look at this DCR along with several others. Unfortunately triaging it against other critical DCRs I do not think we would get to investigate and implement this in the near future, so we decided not to proceed with this DCR in the next SQL Server release.
    However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this implemented.

Thanks for writing to Microsoft.
    Alex Grach (MSFT)

<=-=Dec 8 2017 5:19AM=-=>

Hello,

Any update on this issue?

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base