SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSRS: Providing ability to annotate/comment in report design

One feature I would like to see Microsoft introduce to SSRS is the ability to annotate or comment, anywhere within the report. As a programmer who has moved to Reporting Services I find the "graphical programming" fantastic and easy to use: reports are easy to build but then often difficult to change or debug because there are settings and checkboxes in a million different places within the report design.

Would be great if there is a way of annotating in SSRS reports. Currently SSIS for example has a way of adding programmer comments on the Design surface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Oct 26 2011 2:18PM=-=>

This is a critical feature to reporting at my organization. There is value add for analysts to be able to annotate reports (as mentioned above) anywhere in the report. It is sometimes called data sense making. Without it, we cannot fully adopt SSRS and still need to take advantage of being able to do so in Excel using objects. I would suggest the ability to annotate a published report by a category of users with the right permissions. Data is vetted and interpretted as makes its way up the chain and that is an important function of the chain itself. By the time the PM, or Executive sees the reports, the data should be interpretted and annotated.

<=-=Jul 18 2015 11:16AM=-=>

@Kingstepper, I read your comment as wanting to be able to annotate a rendered report whereas the original suggestion from Theroyale is asking…

2. Server-wide read permissions

Any chance of creating server-wide read permissions?

I�m trying to set up, in SQL Server 2012, a user-defined server role to give DBAs read access to everything on the server. The idea of the role is to provide safe access for DBAs so they can browse everything but update nothing. The sort of role you could give to a new DBA to investigate things without worrying about the DBA dropping or updating something.
    In a sense what I�m looking for is a server-level version of the database db_datareader role. I want to be able to see the data in tables…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Microsoft Reporting Services should support export of PDF/A format

Currently the PDF export within Microsoft Reporting Services does not support the PDF/A. As export of PDF/A compliant documents is meanwhile supported by Office 2007 applications, this support should urgently also be added to Microsoft Reporting Services.
    Archiving of rendered reports is a standard scenario for most businesses and therefore conformity with the PDF/A standard seems to be crucial for this use case.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 30

<=-=Feb 21 2011 4:05PM=-=>

Thanks for this suggestion. We currently support PDF 1.3 and do not support PDF 1.4 or PDF/A-1.
    That said, we do provide some features that make documents better-suited to archiving; for instance, as of SQL Server 2008, we embed fonts except for some standard ones (e.g., Arial).

We’d love to hear your comments on the need for PDF/A support. Is official PDF/A support critical? Or are we lacking support for specific aspects, and would addressing some of them without necessarily providing official PDF/A support still be valuable?

Riccardo Muti
    SQL Server Reporting Services

<=-=Feb 21 2011 11:43PM=-=>

Hello Ricardo,

Official PDF/A support is critical for us because of FDA regulations. We provide a MS SQL Server Reporting Services based reporting within our product for our customers. Not all, but many of these customers are in FDA-regulated fields of…

4. Create folders for Agent Jobs

Hundreds of agent jobs makes the list very long and cluttered. For example, my reporting server has 70 subscription jobs that no one will ever need to look at.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Apr 12 2010 7:07AM=-=>

Please search before entering duplicates:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/286925/ssms-allow-folder-grouping-for-sql-agent-jobs

<=-=Apr 13 2010 7:43AM=-=>

I did. I just missed it.

<=-=Apr 13 2010 8:30AM=-=>

Thank you for the feedback – we are considering fixing this for our next release.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

<=-=Apr 22 2010 10:26AM=-=>

I’ve closed this bug as a duplicate of another issue that tracks this same functionality.

Thanks,

Amy Lewis

5. Report Index creation time and modification time

Every 'first class' object in SQL Server has a creation time and a modification time as listed in sys.objects.create_date and sys.objects.modify_date.

Why do indexes not have a create or modify date?? Seems like such a simple feature, how has it been missed all these years?

Even new features (i.e. XML SCHEMA COLLECTION) has a create and modify date. Indexes have been around since the begining of time! Let's get this added.

The only half way workaround is to query STATS_TIME, but this only gives the LAST time that stats were created for this index. It will NOT give index creation…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Mar 30 2010 6:12PM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion. For now, the work around is to create DDL trigger and track the index creation/alter in your own tables. This will allow you to get the information you are looking for.

I will mark this item as closed as there is already an item with connect-id (feedback-id) 394870

Thanks
    Sunil

6. Ability to use expresssion in exec stored_procedure

It would be nice to have ability to use expression when call procedure.
    exec myProc 1, ('prefix:'+@s), (select count(1) from tableA)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pivot Function

The pivot function needs to be improved to not require knowledge of the columns beforehand. Access had this feature a long time ago and sometimes you don�t know what the columns will be in advance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow SQL Agent jobs to be scheduled using UTC time

SQL Server 2008 has introduced UTC based date/time data types. However SQL Agent jobs can still only be scheduled using the server's local time.

Often there is a requirement to have a job run at a fixed time and not to move based upon daylight savings changes. Being able to select a schedule based on either server time or UTC time would allow the flexibility to schedule the job exactly when it needs to run and not have to make changes to schedules/jobs whenever daylight savings time starts or ends.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Mar 7 2011 1:11PM=-=>

Thank you for proposing a DCR for our component. We will consider it as a part of our next major release.

Thanks,

Alex Grach

<=-=Mar 1 2013 11:24AM=-=>

Hello

We took a look at this DCR along with several others. Unfortunately triaging it against other critical DCRs I do not think we would get to investigate and implement this in the near future, so we decided not to proceed with this DCR in the next SQL Server release.
    However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this implemented.

Thanks for writing to Microsoft.
    Alex Grach (MSFT)

<=-=Dec 8 2017 5:19AM=-=>

Hello,

Any update on this issue?

9. SSRS 2016 - KPI with profile dependencies

I try since several days to set a KPI for each user.

In fact, the user must have his number of remaining holidays. To do this, the dataset is filtering with the USERID.

But, it's not possible to refresh the KPI if the dataset contains a profile dependencies.

In my case, it is not a report but a KPI. A KPI is present at the connection of the user. The user does not need, as a report, click to launch an execution. So I can not use the user profile to display a KPI.

One topic is open in the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 8 2016 5:20PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback – it is currently not possible to personalize KPI’s in Reporting Services, and this is implementation is by design currently. However, it is something we will consider for a future release based on customer feedback. I will mark this item as closed as by design, but we have this already on the list of features we’ll be considering to add in a future release.

Thanks,

The SQL BI Team

<=-=Feb 25 2017 7:34AM=-=>

Dear Vivien,

I’ve tried this as well – I just send the USERID to a Stored Procedure – and couldn’t get it to work – patched and tried everything… I hope it will come soon – its obvious that this is something you want?

Not that it is smart – but you can create a dataset per user and then a do a KPI for each user…

10. A Better Collision-Free Hash Function for Comparing Rows of Data

This is a request for a new function which would accept input column names similar to CHECKSUM, with an additional hash algorithm name parameter, and generate a hash value using a collision-free hash algorithm. A common business case for this enhancement is for change detection in BI solutions, such as updating Slowly Changing Dimensions.

SQL Server has long supported a function known as CHECKSUM, which takes string values or column names as input and returns a hash value generated by a simplistic proprietary hash algorithm. Because of its problems, a new collision-free hash function should be introduced that will allow…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 38

<=-=Nov 28 2009 10:48AM=-=>

There was a question about the statement above that CHECKSUM can produce different hash values dependent on the platform (32-bit or 64-bit). Here are some simple tests to demonstrate this:

—First test query:
    SELECT CHECKSUM, CHECKSUM;
    —Results on SQL 2008 32-bit: 2306, 2306
    —Results on SQL 2008 64-bit: 554584078, -1626451698

—Second test query:
    WITH CTE
    AS
    (
    SELECT 65 AS c
    UNION ALL
    SELECT c + 1
    FROM CTE
    WHERE c < 90
    )
    SELECTCHAR + CHAR,
    CHECKSUM + CHAR),
    COUNT
    FROM CTE c1
    CROSS JOIN CTE c2
    GROUP BY CHECKSUM + CHAR)
    HAVING COUNT > 1;
    —Results on SQL 2008 32-bit: 244 two-letter combinations of ‘AA’ – ‘ZZ’ produce duplicate checksums
    —Results on SQL 2008 64-bit: 0 two-letter combinations of ‘AA’ – ‘ZZ’ produce duplicate checksums; checksums generated are different from 32-bit checksums

—Third test query:…

11. XQuery functions fn:starts-with() and fn:ends-with() against the xml data type

the functions fn:starts-with() and fn:ends-with() will be very helpful for wildcard search on XML string values.
    Using these functions comparison logic as in the relational cases <value> LIKE 'ABC%' and <value> LIKE '%XYZ' can be easy specified. Otherwise it is difficult to express this kind of comparison.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Dec 7 2009 2:28PM=-=>

Thanks for your request. We are gathering asks for such specific XQuery functions and will add them based on customer requests and available resources. Until we have added this, the current workaround is to use the value() method to extract the value and perform the like predicate in SQL. If it is needed as a filter in a path, you would need to use the nodes() method to break the path open to insert the relational filter.

Cheers
    Michael

12. Add sys.indexes create_date and modify_date fields

My company needs a way to easily identify when an index was created. It would also be useful to know when an index's ddl was last modified.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 28

<=-=Jan 15 2009 2:43PM=-=>

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your request. We are aware of your ask and we will consider it for a future version of SQL Server. For now, you can create DDL trigger and track the index creation/alter in your own tables. This will allow you to get the information you are looking for.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Dec 3 2009 7:55AM=-=>

I’d also like to throw some support around this as something to include in the next version of SQL Server

<=-=Dec 3 2009 7:59AM=-=>

I’d like to see thes as well. I’d also add that seeing last rebuild date and last reorg date would be helpful as well, even if they were via function like STATS_DATE().

<=-=Dec 3 2009 8:04AM=-=>

Upvoted as I think this is definitely something that needs to be added. In addition to adding this, please add a related report…

13. string aggregate function, something like SUM for numbers

I wonder why the list-function in Sybase, which exists for more then 15 years, is never built by other database suppliers:
    I wish I had an aggregat function for strings. So that, instead of crawling through the table with a cursor, I could easily just write:

select idCompany, Companyname, AGG_CONCAT(Name, ';')
    from Company inner join Contact on Company.idCompany =
    Contact.idCompany
    group by Company.idCompany, Company.Companyname

Just like for numbers, with SUM or so.
    An then I get a nice comma-separated list:

"Handelshaus Huber"; "Schmidt, Meier, Huber"
    "Waschk�che Weier"; "Widmann, Wenzel"
    etc.

How about that ? Would be great!
    Liz

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Jan 8 2009 11:48AM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. This is a good point and we will take it into consideration for coming releases of SQL Server.

Currently there is one simple workaround that may work for you, it is not as simple as a string aggregate function would be and is not related to the GROUP BY clause but it at least solves your problem (note that the solution works in both SQL Server 2005 & 2008).
    Consider the following example using the AdventureWorks sample database:
    SELECT
    soh.OrderDate
    ,(
    SELECT
    p.Name + ‘, ’
    FROM Production.Product AS p
    INNER JOIN Sales.SalesOrderDetail AS sod ON p.ProductID = sod.ProductID
    WHERE sod.SalesOrderID = soh.SalesOrderID
    FOR XML PATH(’‘), TYPE
    ).value(’/‘, ’NVARCHAR(max)’) AS ProductsOrdered
    FROM Sales.SalesOrderHeader AS soh

Hope this helps!
    /Tobias Ternstrom

<=-=Jun 2 2009 3:25AM=-=>

I strongly support this suggestion. From BOL I can see that there might…

14. MSFT - Maddog: Arithmetic overflow error should link properly in SSMS

I've got a big long query that takes forever to run, and occasionally it gives me an arithmetic overflow error message. There's tons of counts, sums, avgs, etc. in the query, so it's not obvious where the error is coming from. I've got each "column equation" on a seperate line, but the arithmetic overflow error message is basically useless - "there was an error somewhere, we don't know where.". Normally for error messages in SSMS, I double click on them and it takes me to where the problem is - not for arith overflow; it just takes you to the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Dec 21 2008 5:24PM=-=>

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. This is a good point and we will take it into consideration for coming releases of SQL Server.

Thanks!
    /Tobias Ternstrom

<=-=Mar 17 2011 4:53PM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for submitting this suggestion, but we’re trying to clean house and remove items we feel we will likely not address given their priority relative to other items in our queue. We believe it is unlikely that we will address this suggestion, and so we are closing it as �won�t fix�.

This cleaning will help us focus on the high-priority items that we feel need to get done, and we hope that it help provide better clarity to you about the issues we will (and won’t) address.

While we’ve tried to look at each of these items individually, this was a large effort, and so we may have erred in assessing…

15. Add digital signature to a pdf document in Reporting Services

(EN) I want to digital sign a PDF create by exporting a Reporting Services' Report to PDF, but there is no way to do that. Can this be possible?

(ES) Quiero a�adir a un PDF al generar una exportaci�n a PDF de un report de Reporting Services, pero no veo que se pueda hacer. �Ser�a esto posible?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 25

<=-=Nov 24 2008 4:25PM=-=>

Hello,

Thans for writing in with this feature request. SSRS does not provide a way to digitally sign its PDF output out-of-the-box. We have a feature request for this on file. So, I’ve resolved your request as a duplicate of the one that we already have in our database. We hope to add this feature in a future release.

I encourage the community to continue to vote on this feature if there is demand for it!

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SQL Server Reporting Services

<=-=Sep 13 2011 3:07AM=-=>

Helo,

I would like to add a request that, I also need the e signature feature from SSRS support for WORD also.

Thanks
    Bala

<=-=May 21 2014 10:07AM=-=>

Hi,

I would also like to see this feature available in SharePoint integrated mode.

Regards,
    Mark

<=-=May 2 2017 3:46AM=-=>

Hey,

Yes this feature is required. Pls bring…

16. MSFT: EDW - Inability to return table-value parameters is restricting usefulness of the feature

Current implementation requires that TVPs are READONLY.

This significantly decreases usability of the feature.

For example, I was going to code a stored procedure "for a given list of paths, give me all databases that have at least one file in this path".

I was going to pass list of paths as TVP, and return list of databases a TVP.

But this does not work, so I have to invent workarounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 15

<=-=Aug 16 2007 12:58PM=-=>

Hi,
    Thank you for your feedback on TVP. This is a known current Katmai Restriction and requires substantial additional work to enable output/return parameters. We are planning to address this issue in the next major release of SQLServer. A possible current workaround for this is to use Table valued functions that return table structures back.

Srini Acharya
    Senior Program Manager, Relational Engine.

<=-=Feb 13 2009 1:29PM=-=>

Hi Alexey,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=299296

17. Multi Column Sub Query Support

Still there is no support for multicolumn sub queries....

e.g. in oracle....

Select * from CallDetails where (CustomerID, ProductID) IN (Select CustomerID, ProductID from CustomerGroups Where GroupID=1)

I was in big trouble when converting queries of oracle financials when I was creating Reporting Server on SQL2005, in Oracle Financials it doesnt have one column primary keys.... almost in all the tables multicolumn primary keys.... same scenario i need to handle when developing ETL and Reporting Layer for Convergys.... Geneva Billing System....

Scenario is difficult when joining 10...15 tables to retrieve data and almost 3...5 of them needs a sub query…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Dec 14 2007 4:56PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking into adding such functionality in a future release. Until then a work around to rewrite the query explictly to use a join syntax is recommended.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Aug 18 2008 3:10PM=-=>

Note that the query could be written as

SELECT * FROM CallDeatils CD WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM CustomerGroups CG WHERE CG.CustomerID = CD.CustomerID AND CG.ProductID = CD.ProductID)

There are other situations where the need for row constructors is more compelling, though.

<=-=Mar 23 2010 2:03PM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this feedback item as duplicate of one below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/299231/add-support-for-ansi-standard-row-value-constructors?wa=wsignin1.0

18. Need true timeStamp data type to automatically update the update time (instead of update trigger)

We all know that the TIMESTAMP datatype is a sequence number having nothing to do with time. It's very common to have a column "Update Time Stamp" indicating the time of the last update. Currently you need to do this with an update trigger. It would be nice to have a TIMESTAMP_Really datatype with the same exact semantics as the rowversion type/ TIMESTAMP datatype - but instead of inserting a sequence number, a true time stamp is inserted. Obviously you could use TIMESTAMP_Really in time comparisons.

SQL Server can automatically populate DateTime fields on insert (via DEFAULT GetDate()
    ) -…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 27

<=-=Jan 27 2009 3:14PM=-=>

Why not just use a non-nullable datetime column with a GetDate() default? Like this:

CREATE TABLE TestTS
    (Col1 int,
    Col2 datetime NOT NULL DEFAULT GetDate()
    )

INSERT TestTS (Col1)
    SELECT 1

SELECT * FROM TestTS

<=-=Jan 27 2009 3:22PM=-=>

Hey Aaron – that only works on insert, not on updates.

<=-=Jan 27 2009 6:48PM=-=>

Oooo, yes. That’s painfully obvious, isn’t it? I missed that part of your post. Are you requesting this for auditing, or concurrency control?

<=-=Jan 28 2009 10:11AM=-=>

Auditing. It’s possible but far more work to make a time stamp a sequence # for concurrency. I’m only asking for time.

<=-=Jan 28 2009 1:26PM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for your request. You do not need a trigger to maintain the updated timestamp. You can use the DEFAULT keyword in your UPDATE statements like:

UPDATE tbl
    SET
    , ModifiedTime = DEFAULT

Using explicit…
  19. Package Concepts, Global Variables

Hi,

I like to see the Package concepts like in Oracle, in which we can declare the variables and then use in the multiple stored procedures in the package.

This will be lot helpful in breaking the big stored procedures into small ones.

Please consider the request in future release

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Nov 13 2007 5:05PM=-=>

Hi Vijay

Thank you for your feedback. The concept of global variables and the ability to ‘package’ stored procedures and modules is very useful functionality. We are considering it for a future SQL Server release.

Sara Tahir
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 19 2007 9:24AM=-=>

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your info. Can you let me know which release of SQL Server that it is planned.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Anand Kannan

<=-=Dec 19 2007 9:36AM=-=>

Hi Vijay,

At this point of time, we havent decided on which release of SQL Server we will add this. Unfortunately this will not be in SQL Server 2008 but we will definitely consider it for the release after that.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao.

<=-=May 20 2008 12:22PM=-=>

Hi,

Can you please let me know if you have any plan for the implementation of the package.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Anand…

20. Allow Common Table Expressions in all query expressions

Currently, a Common Table Expression (CTE) is allowed only in query statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE). According to the SQL:2003 standard, a CTE (or "<with clause>", as the standards call it) should be allowed in all query expression, which includes subqueries. This would enable us to write, for instance:

IF EXISTS
    (
    WITH tab AS
    (SELECT 1 AS col)
    SELECT * FROM tab
    )
    PRINT 'okiedokie'
    ELSE PRINT 'not ok';

This syntax, which is allowed according to SQL:2003, is not accepted by SQL Server 2005. I have reported this as a bug (see https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=254336), but this has been…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 47

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:20AM=-=>

Hello,

Thank you for sending your feedback to us. We will consider adding this functionality in a future release of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Vineet Rao

<=-=Dec 3 2007 1:42PM=-=>

Dear Hugo

Thank you for your feedback. I really like your suggestion and I can see how useful it could be. Unfortunately, we’re at a point in the release cycle for SQL Server 2008 where we’re not able to address this issue as part of the release. We’ll consider it for the next release.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base