SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for autonomous transactions

Support for autonomous transactions (i.e. the ability to nest a unit of work) would allow for more concurrency. At the moment an operation that is logically independent such as a logging operation can lock resources until the transaction as a whole succeeds.

A great example of where this would be useful is in the implementation of sequences. Once a sequence range is allocated the change can be committed independent of the surrounding transaction. Doing so allows other transactions to allocate sequence ranges while the first transaction is progressing. This allows for greater concurrency.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 102

<=-=Dec 11 2007 2:24PM=-=>

Hello Anthony

Thanks for your feedback and feature request. Autonomous transactions are a powerful feature and can be used to satisfy a variety of core requirements, such as sequence generation, error logging, and more. Though autonomous transactions will not be available in SQL Server 2008, we are actively tracking this as a feature request and are considering supporting it in a future release of SQL Server.

Thank you

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Aug 31 2008 6:14AM=-=>

Also consider the ability to pick multiple “atonomous” transactions to simultaneously COMMIT or ROLLBACK.

For example,
    BEGIN TRANSACTION A
    BEGIN TRANSACTION B
    BEGIN TRANSACTION C
    COMMIT TRANSACTION B,C
    BEGIN TRANSACTION D
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION A,D

Here is the kicker: the COMMIT or ROLLBACK is atomic with respect to all named transactions that are listed.

<=-=Oct 20 2011 11:37AM=-=>

Competition was and still is so much always ahead:
    Sequences,…

2. BCP out to include field columns names

BCP out to include field columns.
    Would be very helpful it the BCP command line tool will have the option to export the field column names

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 41

<=-=Oct 4 2007 10:13AM=-=>

Thank you for your feature suggestion. We are considering the improvement in our next release.

<=-=Jan 23 2012 11:23AM=-=>

It’s been three and a half years, and we’re headed toward our third release since this item was filed, but is this still being considered for “our next release”?

<=-=Feb 22 2012 7:56AM=-=>

One simple workaround to allow automation – (A 3 step job):
    1. Create a file _header.txt that has the column headings
    i.e. copy the first row [with header] of a select * from table, paste into excell, keep only headings and save as .txt

2. bcp out to Data.txt file
    i.e. bcp DB.dbo.table_name out c:\table_name
    Data.txt -Sserver -T -c

3. Concatenate files with the copy command
    i.e. copy /a /Y C:\tbl_header.txt + C:\tbl_Data.txt C:\tbl.txt

Also, you can bcp out of a view which offers tremendous additional functionality… :-)

<=-=May 28 2014 3:54AM=-=>

3. bcp utility should support RFC 4180 CSV files

The BCP utility (and it's BULK INSERT sibling) represents the fastest way to load bulk data into SQL Server. Unfortunately, it only has the most basic support for delimited files. It's impossible for the delimited file to have the delimiter in any of its field values.

CSV, a type of delimited file, has a standard way for dealing with special characters in its values, defined in RFC 4180 ( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4180.txt ). But BCP only supports use of comma as a delimiter; there is no support for the additional features of the CSV file format.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 21

<=-=Mar 24 2006 10:28AM=-=>

This is a reasonable suggestion and will will consider it in the future. Could you supply more information why you need this enhancement? You can have commas in values that are quoted. Could you explain why this does not meet your needs?

<=-=Mar 25 2006 3:23PM=-=>

It’s a common question on how to load files where some fields are enclosed in quotes, and where there is a header where it is not. Example:

col1,col2,col3,col4
    12,“This is col2”,“And col3”,19

This particular file is not loadable by BCP at all. On the other hand:

col1,col2,col3,col4
    “12”,“This is col2”,“And col3”,19

this one is, because in the format file you can defined an initial dummy column that will swallow the header.

I have previously suggested that it should be possible to describe a header, so that BCP can skip it.

Adding pre-defined support for CSV seems like a…

4. PIVOT

PIVOT statement is required explicittly indicate a list of values that will be the columns to be created. The trouble is that is not DINAMIC and if a new value appear, a modification must be done for accept the new one.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 100

<=-=Nov 23 2005 3:16PM=-=>

Thank you Yoshiko for making us aware of this customer request. What makes this request difficult to fulfill technically is that the inner subquery would determine the shape of the output result set. The way SQL Server is built, the shape of a relational result set needs to be determined independently of the data the query accesses. I understand the business reasoning of having such a facility though, so we are keeping this issue active for the next version of the product to see what alternate solutions we can come up with for this meaningful scenario.

Oliver Seeliger,
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Oct 13 2008 4:05PM=-=>

I’d like to further request the ability to order the pivoted columns by optionally specifying the order by clause in the subquery. Right now, the only way to pivot the columns server-side is to modify the workaround I posted…

5. Associate Stored Procedure Parameter Datatypes with column datatype

This is a feature that Oracle has with PL/SQL. When creating a stored procedure and defining a parameter, there should be a way to define the datatype of the parameter and associate that with the column of a table. This way when a table column datatype size changes or type changes the stored procedure parameter is automatically changed to reflect the table change.

This would greatly help during development

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 4

<=-=Jul 21 2009 7:55AM=-=>

Hi,

Thankyou for this suggestion. Makes good sense. (Of course, declaring @coldat to be typeof foo.col1 would still allow us to call get_foo with any argument of that type. That’s to say, it does not tie get_foo to work only with the particular column foo.col1)

(It’s also worth considering that typeof could apply, not just to a single column, but a set of columns)

Amazing really that such a simple idea (which is time-saving, and avoids spontaneous breakage down-the-line) was not included into the SQL language from the outset.

Anyhow, I’ll add it into the TODO list.

Thanks,

Jim Hogg

<=-=Aug 18 2009 11:02AM=-=>

The was a great feature that Informix had almost 10 years ago. You never had to look up the exact column var type from the table. We get bugs all the time from column sizes being increased, but the sproc…

6. T-SQL: use scalar functions as stored procedure parameters

SQL 2008 has given us some great enhancements in the T-SQL language that basically mean we have to wtite less code. In the same spirit I propose that you allow us to use scalar functions as stored procedure parameters.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 95

<=-=Jun 23 2008 10:59AM=-=>

Hi Jaimie,

Agreed! More generally, wherever TSQL expects, say, and integer value, it should accept a literal, a variable, or the result of a function whose return type is integer. It just makes the language more regular (“orthogonal”) and easier to learn/use.

That said, it’s too late for this feature in the Katmai release, but I’ll add it to our TODO list.

[In passing, I’m reading your request to mean what I said above. ie, you still want to pass a value to a procedure – not a pointer-to-function – higher-order-functions. Right?]

Thanks,

Jim

<=-=Jun 23 2008 11:17AM=-=>

Jim,
    You got it! I just want to pass in a value without writing 2 lines of code!

Thanks for the great reply. As a SQL MVP I’m first to criticise the SQL team when their responses to feedback are not up to scratch. Yours is…

7. Placing Database under Source Control

I have been trying to evaluate how SQL Server Management Studio integrates with source control. The only thing I can find is the ability to place a database 'solution' under source control and that basically puts create scripts and change scripts under source control. It doesn't keep 2 or more people from making changes to the same object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jun 20 2008 2:27PM=-=> harolds,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will send a notification to the feature team to keep tracking of this suggestion.

Regards,
    Eric Kang
    Program Manager, Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Aug 22 2008 11:49AM=-=>

Harold is a colleague of mine. It just seems strange to us that all SQL related source control is done at a SQL script level instead of an actual object level within SQL Server itself. You should be required “check-out” a stored procedure, for example, before you can ALTER it. If you “Undo check-out” then the object should be restored to it’s previous state.

8. Allow enabling and disabling of a column's IDENTITY property

Sometimes IDENTITY columns need to be cleaned up a bit -- their values updated or re-ordered, for instance. This can occur when data replication strategies fail, or when unexpected data was inserted. This is a somewhat rare occurrence, but when it does happen it can be extremely painful due to the fact that IDENTITY columns cannot be updated, and the property cannot be enabled or disabled. As a result, in most cases doing what should be a simple update requires creation of a new table.

Likewise, we sometimes want to be able to turn an existing column into an IDENTITY…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 60

<=-=Jan 18 2007 10:51AM=-=>

Thank you for the feedback, we’ll look into ways to improve on the scenario you describe.

Thanks,

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=Jul 5 2007 12:27AM=-=>

IDENTITY columns CAN be updated! See workaround…

<=-=Feb 21 2008 8:08AM=-=>

Workaround doesn’t work in 2000 or 2005.

I would rate updates more important than turn on/off, but both would be very handy.

<=-=Oct 16 2009 4:00AM=-=>

@way0utwest – the workaround definitely does work in 2005 – I used it just the other day!

<=-=Feb 4 2010 5:16PM=-=>

I have added a partial workaround using ALTER TABLESWITCH.
    I do agree that this would be a useful extension to ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN though…

<=-=May 2 2013 8:10PM=-=>

I just realised how painful having identity columns !! we recently wanted to merge two client databases (their businesses merging) and it became a nightmare!! Because we used identities as…

9. triggers before insert and row level.

Need to have real Before triggers and row level triggers. SQL doesn't have these triggers or sequences. They have "instead of" but not a real Before Trigger like enterprise level databases have. It's a real pain to program in SQL or to convert from Oracle or MySQL.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 43

<=-=Jul 3 2007 12:12AM=-=>

BEFORE triggers are part of ANS SQL 99 (and 2003), and as such have been implemented by many manufacturers (Oracle, IBM).

It’s time MS implemented ANS SQL.

<=-=Jul 8 2007 5:49AM=-=>

That request is for 3 features instead of one!
    1) I agree about Before Triggers
    2) Row triggers are easily done with SQL although with non ANSI syntax. But they are a bad practice, so low priority for me.
    3) Sequence would be nice eventually, but it is not a show stopper.

<=-=Aug 13 2007 2:53PM=-=>

Thank you for posting your request. We realize that BEFORE triggers are extremely useful, specifically in migration scenarios. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide this functionality in SQL Server 2008. We are considering it for a future release. Meanwhile, we suggest using INSTEAD OF triggers to achieve similar functionality.

<=-=Aug 17 2007 1:01PM=-=>

INSTEAD

10. Defered Constraint Checking

We often need to reload application tables, such as configuration, enumeration values etc which we do via a bulk insert from application generated export. When foriegn key constraints are added against these tables deleting and reloading data results in constraint violation. Since an alter statement cannot be placed in the same batch the process constraint disable/reenable cannot be performed within the context of the transaction to ensure constraint is reenabled if the data reload fails.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Jul 9 2007 12:51PM=-=>

Dupe of:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=124624

<=-=Jan 22 2008 2:09PM=-=>

Kurt,
    Thanks for your valuable feedback and sorry for the late answer. As you might have seen in the community discussion comment of your submission, there is a related suggestion about the same issue. We are planning to implement this feature in our next major release. This other suggestion also includes a possible workaround, see https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=124624
    With best regards,
    Roman

<=-=Apr 5 2010 3:12PM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved your request as duplciate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/124728

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

11. Change the title of a report to be different from .rdl file name

If my RDL file is named Reportforseeingthings.rdl

Displayed the web portal report title as "Report for seeing things"

This would allow users to adhere to URL design best practices and give designers the ability to accomodate their clients naming pattern requests.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ISDATE DAX Function

Please add ISDATE DAX Function. The lack of ISDATE is neither logical nor consistent. Its omission is no doubt a result of blindly following a shortcoming in Excel. Think about this for a second. We can check to see if an expression is text, a number, logical but not a date?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSRS RDL needs method to compute export filename and document properties with expressions

Disregarding subscriptions delivered via file shares, when a report is exported, it always gets the same name. Exporting the Invoice report with input parameter Invoice Number set to 12345 generates "Invoice.PDF" rather than "Invoice 12345.PDF". We need a feature supported in Report Manager and Report Viewer, that allows filename and other document properties (title, subject, author, keywords, etc) to be calculated (not hard-coded) inside the report so that when a user decides to export all of this is contained in the output.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Feb 16 2010 6:55AM=-=>

Couldnt agree more. This is basic functionality. We need ability to generate dynamic PDF document properties, especially document title.

<=-=Feb 26 2010 12:54PM=-=>

Hi, Thanks for filing this enhancement request on connect. We will consider this in a future release of reporting services.

<=-=Feb 25 2011 3:03AM=-=>

Hi..

Please ensure that this feature will be included in SQL SERVER 2011 (Denali) . This is very much required in our project where SSRS reports are exported to word and the filename needs to be based on the parameter values selected.

Thanks
    Kiran B

<=-=Mar 14 2011 5:09PM=-=>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/8b9325b9-d0f6-476c-b9c9-236301df5536

I feel that this should have been a given as well. I would also like to request that dynamic file names be an added option on the file name save.

Thank you,
    Rocco Couts

14. SQL Server Audit - Need actual values stored with Audit record

When SQL Server stores the Audit record, the values in the update clause and where clause are replaced with parameters. To meet the requirements to audit who viewed and changed information (specifically what information), we need to store the actual values with the audit record.

This is a great new feature, but without the values, it isn't sufficient to meet requirements.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 5

<=-=Sep 30 2010 10:18AM=-=>

Hi Tracy,

First of all, thank you for your feedback!

In order to investigate further, I wanted to get an understanding of how this query is invoked. Are you noticing this behavior when invoking the query using a stored procedure?

Thank you and regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jul 7 2011 4:28PM=-=>

Hi,

We have detected another connect item requesting for the same functionality.

We have linked this connect item with another connect item that is kept open (http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/624935/sql-server-2008-database-audit-on-insert-update-and-delete-actual-sql-and-not-parameter-values) and closed this item.

Thank you and regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

15. SSRS: Providing ability to annotate/comment in report design

One feature I would like to see Microsoft introduce to SSRS is the ability to annotate or comment, anywhere within the report. As a programmer who has moved to Reporting Services I find the "graphical programming" fantastic and easy to use: reports are easy to build but then often difficult to change or debug because there are settings and checkboxes in a million different places within the report design.

Would be great if there is a way of annotating in SSRS reports. Currently SSIS for example has a way of adding programmer comments on the Design surface.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 20

<=-=Oct 26 2011 2:18PM=-=>

This is a critical feature to reporting at my organization. There is value add for analysts to be able to annotate reports (as mentioned above) anywhere in the report. It is sometimes called data sense making. Without it, we cannot fully adopt SSRS and still need to take advantage of being able to do so in Excel using objects. I would suggest the ability to annotate a published report by a category of users with the right permissions. Data is vetted and interpretted as makes its way up the chain and that is an important function of the chain itself. By the time the PM, or Executive sees the reports, the data should be interpretted and annotated.

<=-=Jul 18 2015 11:16AM=-=>

@Kingstepper, I read your comment as wanting to be able to annotate a rendered report whereas the original suggestion from Theroyale is asking…

16. [SSRS] CSV/XML Renderers should evaluate Hidden expressions for DataElementOutput=Auto

In SSRS 2005, any dynamic columns would not appear in CSV exports unless DataElementOutput were set to Auto, because the renderer treated the presence of a formula as True. In 2008 R2, leaving DataElementOutput = Auto with leads to all dynamic columns being always exported. As stated in https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/322439, this is by design and seems documented.

IMHO the renderer should evaluate the hidden expression when DataElementOutput is Auto and no higher-level circumstances dictate behaviour. I always assumed the 2005 way was due to some kind of laziness - someone writing if ( element.Hidden ) {... which would of course…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=May 30 2011 12:57AM=-=>

I have the same issue with exporting Tablix report to CSV format. There are columns in the Tablix that I want to exclude from the output dynamically based a parameter user selected. The Column Visibility is set to based on an expression. It works fine when exporting to other format inlcuding EXCEL, but not for CSV and XML. All columns are exported to CSV disregarding the experssions.

17. SSRS 2016 - KPI with profile dependencies

I try since several days to set a KPI for each user.

In fact, the user must have his number of remaining holidays. To do this, the dataset is filtering with the USERID.

But, it's not possible to refresh the KPI if the dataset contains a profile dependencies.

In my case, it is not a report but a KPI. A KPI is present at the connection of the user. The user does not need, as a report, click to launch an execution. So I can not use the user profile to display a KPI.

One topic is open in the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 14

<=-=Sep 8 2016 5:20PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback – it is currently not possible to personalize KPI’s in Reporting Services, and this is implementation is by design currently. However, it is something we will consider for a future release based on customer feedback. I will mark this item as closed as by design, but we have this already on the list of features we’ll be considering to add in a future release.

Thanks,

The SQL BI Team

<=-=Feb 25 2017 7:34AM=-=>

Dear Vivien,

I’ve tried this as well – I just send the USERID to a Stored Procedure – and couldn’t get it to work – patched and tried everything… I hope it will come soon – its obvious that this is something you want?

Not that it is smart – but you can create a dataset per user and then a do a KPI for each user…

18. Package Concepts, Global Variables

Hi,

I like to see the Package concepts like in Oracle, in which we can declare the variables and then use in the multiple stored procedures in the package.

This will be lot helpful in breaking the big stored procedures into small ones.

Please consider the request in future release

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 18

<=-=Nov 13 2007 5:05PM=-=>

Hi Vijay

Thank you for your feedback. The concept of global variables and the ability to ‘package’ stored procedures and modules is very useful functionality. We are considering it for a future SQL Server release.

Sara Tahir
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 19 2007 9:24AM=-=>

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your info. Can you let me know which release of SQL Server that it is planned.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Anand Kannan

<=-=Dec 19 2007 9:36AM=-=>

Hi Vijay,

At this point of time, we havent decided on which release of SQL Server we will add this. Unfortunately this will not be in SQL Server 2008 but we will definitely consider it for the release after that.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao.

<=-=May 20 2008 12:22PM=-=>

Hi,

Can you please let me know if you have any plan for the implementation of the package.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Anand…

19. Choosing columns for display in Table Designer

Currently in table designer the available columns for creating tables are Column Name, Data Type, and Allow Nulls. It would be much easier to have certain columns such as Allow Nulls, Identity Column, Seed, and Increment also on those columns, as it would make my table development time faster.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Mar 31 2006 8:20AM=-=>

Quick update. We are placing this bug report under consideration for SP2.

<=-=Apr 19 2006 11:32AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback – we will consider this for a futre release of SQL Server.

<=-=May 12 2011 4:07AM=-=>

Hi Derreck,

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Regards,
    Kamal

20. Please, add support for complex data types in T-SQL, especially ability to derive types from existing database objects (tables, vi

T-SQL as a programming language is rather weak in supporting complex data types as structures, arrays and hash maps (existing table data type is just not flexible enought).
    Passing complex data structures between stored procedures and application and stored procedures is overly complicated.
    One can argue that XML is a way to go, but packing data into XML and parsing XML into native data types is prohibitively expensive.

It's not possible to declare a variable that derives its type from a table/view or a column (Oracle had this for years in PL/SQL with %rowtype and %type post-fixes in variable declarations). …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 106

<=-=Mar 27 2006 1:48PM=-=>

Hi – thanks for your feedback. T-SQL is by no means a third class citizen for us. We’ve enhanced it in SQL Server 2005 and we’ll continue to do so in future releases. We’ll take into consideration your feedback as we plan future releases. Again, thanks for the feedback.

- Christian Kleinerman

<=-=Sep 10 2008 2:24AM=-=>

I totally agree: table variables are extremely useful, but sometimes %type and %rowtype variables could be very handy. For example, when using cursors, it would be much better to have only one record variable to fetch into. I hope we’ll get it in the next release after SQL Server 2008.

<=-=May 1 2009 1:13PM=-=>

I just came on here today to ask for:

DECLARE @myvariable TYPEOF

But I voted here instead. Come on MS, this would be an EXTREMELY useful feature in so many cases and would…

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base