SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customizable Parameter Prompt Value in SSRS

Currently, there is no way in SSRS to customize the pompt value for the parameter. This means, at the design time, the developer has to type the prompt value for the parameter. Currently this is not data driven, nor it can be changed thru a .NET assembly code.

This is a problem where a single report has to be accessed by users who speak multiple languages, for them the prompt value has to be translated and also adjusted to the user culture.

examples for Prompt values are "Select Country", "Select Users", "Select Model"

The drop down values associated to the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 37

<=-=May 3 2007 4:26PM=-=>

Thank you for requesting this feature. We will consider this in the next release of Reporting Services.

<=-=May 4 2007 9:57AM=-=>

Thank you for requesting this feature. We will consider this in the next release of Reporting Services.

<=-=Nov 1 2007 7:45AM=-=>

This is incredibly important for localizing report parameter prompts. Right now we can localize everything except report parameter prompts. This means we’re having to write our own code to do all the parameters. Which means we’re starting to look seriously at other tools that have a better API.

<=-=Nov 29 2012 7:20AM=-=>

This keeps SSRS from being used as a platform for an application. Equally important is the ability to parameterize the fields for a dataset. I can write code for the query but then have to specify what fields are being pulled – boo!

<=-=Apr 10 2013 8:04AM=-=>

SQL Server…

2. suppress namespace attributes in nested SELECT FOR XML statements

When using the 'WITH XMLNAMESPACES' Construct, the namespace declarations show up in each nested query of a 'SELECT FOR XML' statement.
    While it does produce a valid XML document, the results are not exactly pretty.

Example query with a subselect:

WITH XMLNAMESPACES('http://test.com/customer&#39; AS rt, 'http://test.com/customer/&#39; AS rtc)
    SELECT Customerid AS "@Customerid"

, (SELECT sub.Name AS &quot;rt:Name&quot;

FROM Customer AS sub
    WHERE sub.Customer_id = Customer.Customer_id
    FOR XML PATH(&#39;&#39;), type)

FROM Customer

FOR XML PATH('rt:Customer')

(the sub-query is meant as an illustration)

This query produces:

<rt:Customer xmlns:rtc="http://test.com/customer/types&quot; xmlns:rt="http://test.com/customer&quot; Customer_id="1">
    <rt:Name xmlns:rtc=xmlns:rtc="http://test.com/customer/types&quot

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 178

<=-=Apr 13 2007 1:31PM=-=>

Dear Michael

Thanks for the feedback. We will be looking into your suggestion for a future release of SQL Server.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Jun 4 2007 1:43PM=-=>

This would be very useful for our products as well.

<=-=Aug 26 2008 8:55AM=-=>

I just encountered this weird behavior. Although it is valid XML, it makes the resulting document extremely large as well as inconsistent. E.g., the intermediate elements created by the “AS” clause of the subquery don’t have the namespace declaration. I vote for a fix.

<=-=Sep 17 2008 8:20AM=-=>

I also think this should be changed. It makes the XML very difficult to read!

<=-=Jan 29 2009 12:09AM=-=>

The current function realy bloats the returned XML, we’ve used the “old-school” for xml expicit but the sql to construct that is realy messy.
    We’ve used the xml functionality in SQL server for a…

3. View Any Database

The instance level View Any Database permission takes precedence over assigning more granular securables; this permits a user to view all databases in an instance, not just those databases for which the user has permission.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 11

<=-=Nov 5 2010 7:16AM=-=>

I agree that we need more granularity. Servers are holding greater numbers of databases, and the importance of masking groups of databases for admin purposes is growing. Currently, if the “ANY” permission is not granted, the principal must be the database owner (or highly privileged).

A database level VIEW DATABASE permission would enhance manageability.

<=-=Dec 13 2010 5:02AM=-=>

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something that we have been thinking about and we’ll consider this for a future version of SQL Server.

Thanks,
    il-Sung.

<=-=Aug 30 2011 11:38AM=-=>

Hi Grant,

Thank you for your feedback. We will consider this for a future version of SQL Server.

Regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Feb 11 2013 2:38PM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. We will consider this for a future version of SQL Server.

<=-=Jun 25 2015 12:35PM=-=>

agree with Michael Smith.…

4. Allow for outer joins in indexed views

Currently there is a restriction for indexed views to only contain inner joins. This effectively restricts the use case to non-null fk relations. Nullable fk relations are impossible to materialize.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 7 2011 2:05PM=-=>

Why not a filtered index?

<=-=Feb 8 2011 10:31AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. The columnstore index feature coming in the Denali release provides such excellent performance that many data warehouse and data mart customers won’t need indexed views any more. So that may provide an adequate solution for you. See http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/C/1/8C1CE06B-DE2F-40D1-9C5C-3EE521C25CE9/Columnstore%20Indexes%20for%20Fast%20DW%20QP%20SQL%20Server%2011.pdf

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manager
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Feb 8 2011 10:51AM=-=>

Please don’t leave out OLTP customer… Indexed views are great for eliminating joins for mostly read data. Consider the following schema:

create table forumthreads (id, userid null, title)
    create table users (id, name)

and the query:
    select top 10 * from forumthreads left join users order by users.name

No single-table index can satisfy the sort order so the entire result set must be materialized and top-n sorted. It would be much…

5. Page Compression for Out-of-Row LOB Storage

Disappointingly page compression does not apply to out-of-row LOB storage for data types such as VARCHAR(MAX) and NVARCHAR(MAX) [and also TEXT and NTEXT].

Would you consider adding this in a future release?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Mar 8 2011 9:34AM=-=>

Thanks for contacting SQL Server team with the feedback. We will consider this in a future release. At this time, you can compress Out-of-row BLOBs by storing them as FileStream on a compressed volume. But I do understand that this is not your scenario as the data types you mentioned are not suitable for Filestream

Thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Mar 8 2011 1:30PM=-=>

Sunil, thanks for the feedback. I had considered this option, but we’re using database mirroring as a resiliency solution which, unfortunately, doesn’t support Filestream.

Thanks
    Chris

<=-=Jan 15 2012 11:47AM=-=>

Chris, I updated the title of your request. You are not really saying PAGE compression for out of row or LOB data. What you are saying is that we need the ability to compress this data as well. Also, I added a variance of UNICODE compresion as well.

thanks
    Sunil

<=-=Dec 1 2014…
  6. Fully support position() in xquery

Right now position() can only be used in predict in xquery. However, in lots of scenarios, the position of the xml data is significant.

DECLARE @x xml;
    SET @x = N'<SelectAnswers xmlns="http://MyNamespace">
    <AnswerType Type="selectOne" IsRequired="true">
    <SelectAnswer>Once a month</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Two or three times a month</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Usually every week</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>More than once a week</SelectAnswer>
    </AnswerType>
    <AnswerType Type="MultipleChoice" IsRequired="true">
    <SelectAnswer>This is my first time</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Hardly ever/special occasions only</SelectAnswer>
    <SelectAnswer>Less than once a month</SelectAnswer>
    </AnswerType>
    </SelectAnswers>'

-- Suppose you need to get the postion of AnswerType in the xml as AnswerTypeID and the position of SelectAnswer in each AnswerType as AnswerID, you…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 39

<=-=Dec 3 2008 4:28PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. The following shows how we would have to approach this.

The nodes() method returns N rows one for each node selected by the expression inside the nodes() method. Each of that node is being set as the context item for the expressions inside the value/query/exist/nodes methods. The definition of the position() function is

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#func-position

16.1 fn:position
    fn:position() as xs:integer
    Summary: Returns the context position from the dynamic context.

where context position is defined as:

[Definition: The context position is the position of the context item within the sequence of items currently being processed.] It changes whenever the context item changes. When the focus is defined, the value of the context position is an integer greater than zero. The context position is returned by the expression fn:position(). When an expression E1/E2 or E1[E2] is evaluated, the context position in the inner…

7. SQL Server doesn't have an ANSI INTERVAL data type

SQL Server does not have an ANSI INTERVAL data type. When we create effectively dated tables we have to simulate a time period by using 2 DATETIME columns (StartDate, EndDate). However, often we don't want to allow 2 rows to have overlapping date ranges and many times we don't want to allow gaps in there either. All of these validations have to be done in SQL. It is cumbersome and probably doesn't perform as well as a data type would.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 76

<=-=Apr 21 2009 9:51AM=-=>

Thank you for your feedback. This is something that we would like to add to SQL Server and we will definitively be keeping it in mind for future releases!

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    -Tobias

<=-=Nov 4 2009 1:15PM=-=>

Please implement ANSI SQL date math.
    DATEDATE —> INTERVAL (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    DATE + INTERVAL —> DATE (equivalent for datetime, datetime2, datetimeoffset)
    TIMETIME —> INTERVAL (range specified by application)
    TIME + INTERVAL —> TIME
    DATE + TIME —> TIMESTAMP (i.e., datetime or datetime2 in SQL Server; NOT timestamp; equivalent for datetimeoffset)

There is no way (without conversion) to add values of the new date and time types.
    DATEADD is very limiting (only one datepart at a time).
    Conversions so often necessary now to work with date/time data clutter code and impact performance.

<=-=Dec 18 2009 9:25AM=-=>

This sounds like…

8. Allow text to be justify aligned in a report

Text can only be aligned left, center or right. There is no option to justify align text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 91

<=-=Apr 17 2009 11:15AM=-=>

I am currently slated to release a reporting system for a financial industry client that utilizes all Microsoft technology: SQL Server 2008, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services. The final proof was rejected by upper management due to the inability to fully justify text. It’s hard to explain to them that this is not available, when it’s considered a technology that Microsoft has been providing (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…) for decades. In the financial industry, fully justified text is considered industry standard and I understand their position.

Currently the only solution I can offer them is to abandon Reporting Services and switch to Crystal Reports.

<=-=Jun 18 2009 12:08AM=-=>

I also need even justification of text on both left and right edges of paragraphs.

My client needs this for financial publishing of their mutual fund marketing documents, whch are about 50% statistics…

9. Need a way to set the default encoding for query files in SMSS.

A script saved from SMSS into a .sql file is saved as UTF-16 (unicode) encoding by default. This is a similar issue to the one raised in another feedback entry where the output to CSV is saved as UTF-16. This behavior of SMSS is a departure from the way Query Analyzer (which I used for the last four years) handled these files and it has taken me quite some time to track down the reason things suddenly stopped working correctly.

Many version control systems (specifically CVS, SubVersion, SVN, and Perforce, which I have used) do not properly handle this encoding.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 168

<=-=Apr 8 2008 10:17AM=-=>

Chris – great feedback. I’m going to keep this suggestion on file (we can’t do this for SQL Server 2008, unfortunately) because I want to evaluate two of the areas you’ve mentioned, Source Control and Project Creation. We have quite a few things I want to do there to make the development experience better.

Thanks again for submitting.

Buck Woody, SQL Server Program Manager

<=-=Jun 13 2008 9:00AM=-=>

We have encountered this same issue today. In our case, Visual Studio 2005 database project will create a new script file as ANSI.

Visual Studio 2008 creates new script files as UTF-8.
    And SSMS creates them as Unicode 1200 (UCS-2 little endian) when doing Script CREATE to file (unless you do New Query, then File → Save, which saves as ANSI!)

So it’s a mess in the project and/or source control…

10. Execute Current Statement

Currently required to highlight query text to run one statement in one instance of a query window. This is a bit of a nuisance. I have used TOAD for SQL Server in the past and I could just position my cursor within a single sql statement and execute the current statement only and not all sql statements within the current query window instance. The latter method seems to be much more efficient for those of us administrators with a bunch of sql statements in one query window and just wishing to run select statements.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 7

<=-=Jun 6 2005 8:24AM=-=>

Thank you for your suggestion regarding executing a statement without having to select it. We will consider this for future releases.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 11 2006 5:59PM=-=>

This hasn’t made it into a service pack, but we’re still considering this item for a future release of SQL Server.

Paul A. Mestemaker II
    Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server Manageability
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/

<=-=Dec 3 2007 8:32AM=-=>

Although we won’t be able to provide this functionality for SQL Server 2008, we can consider it for a future release based on overall customer demand.

Thanks,
    Ken Van Hyning

<=-=Aug 5 2009 4:28AM=-=>

Hello,
    Like the OP I’ve used TOAD and been really impressed with this feature. Would really like to have this in SSMS.

I raised a forum thread on it prior to coming here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/4fcd052d-a2db-4431-b80f-9a2ca278ff8a/

This submisison is now 4 years old – is it worth my…

11. Module-level table expressions

There are some situations where you perform a lot of operations on a very
    well-defined subset of a table in an SQL module. A typical case is a process-
    keyed table. That is a table that is keyed by @@spid or some other process
    key. see http://www.sommarskog.se/share_data.html#prockeyed for a longer
    discussion. If you have a procedure that operates on such table, the
    procedure may have a bunch of:

SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE ... WHERE processkey = @processkey

This is somewhat error-prone. If the procedure has 20 such operations,
    you may fail to observe that the condition on processkey is missing in
    one of…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 50

<=-=May 9 2008 7:48PM=-=>

I browsed the SQL-2003 standard to see if there was something like this, and nothing jumped out. That makes me suspect there’s a good reason. In some respects, this feature could be like Dynamic SQL, only worse.

Macro-like abilities are very handy, but they can also be tricky to implement and define. Perhaps you would learn to use the feature effectively, but the parser/preprocessor/optimizer would have to handle whatever this feature allowed, and the results might be surprising. For example (and I think there are many examples), suppose you began a long procedure with

declare @sessionRows query as select T.id, T.c from T where T.spid = @@spid;

If @sessionRows is expanded before query execution, these two seemingly-identical statements are completely different:

— Expression A
    with T1 as (
    select spid, id, c
    from Nisse
    where status = ‘Censored’
    )
    update Trades set…

12. Mutiple aggregates in PIVOT

Currently the PIVOT operator is:

PIVOT ( aggregatefunction ( valuecolumn )

FOR pivot_column IN ( &lt;column_list&gt; )

[ AS ] table_alias

I would like to see this enhanced to:

PIVOT ( aggregatefunction ( valuecolumn ) [ ,...n ]

FOR pivot_column IN ( &lt;column_list&gt; )

[ AS ] table_alias [ ( column_alias [ ,...n ] ) ]

The resulting columns are ordered such that all of the aggregation function applications for a single pivot column value are consecutive.

This would permit both multiple aggregation functions on a single value column (e.g. both MIN and MAX) or application…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Nov 13 2006 6:46PM=-=>

Thank you for submitting this feature request. This is now under consideration for upcoming version of SQL Server.

—G2

<=-=Mar 10 2011 6:15PM=-=>

Hello Mark,

I have resolved your request as duplicate of one below:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/127071

We will track your feature request as part of that one.

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

<=-=Mar 10 2011 11:49PM=-=>

I do not agree that this request is a duplicate of feedback 127071. That feedback is for a dynamic column list (dynamic IN) , where the internal query determines the shape of the output result set. This query is to support multiple aggregates; the shape of the output result set remains static. Specifically I am not suggesting any change in the IN () clause, which is the target of 127071.

A concrete examples that we have face is when dealing with currencies – we need to simultanously aggregate…

13. SSMS change connection to multiple servers

In SSMS, I can use the registered servers pane to open a new query window connected to multiple servers. Make it so that I can then right-click in that window, choose "connection / change connection," and then change my connection to a new group of servers, or at least choose multiple single servers. As it is now, "change connection" only lets you point at a single server.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. new virtual table: errors. It would analogous to the deleted and inserted tables

If a constraint violation happens in a DML statement and the input was a dataset, the offending data in the source is difficult to find. The statement fails and the datasource has to be searched (and possibly recreated) and checked for the violation.

Thread from the forum.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3e17f8dc-9685-412b-8e76-94ad41536d5d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 650

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:14PM=-=>

Oh god yes. If you do this please be sure to include rows not inserted due to IGNORE_DUP_KEY settings on indexes and constraints.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:17PM=-=>

@Rob: No, please do not include those rows! If I’ve added IGNORE_DUP_KEY it’s because I want to ignore them. They’re NOT errors. (Okay, now we can see how difficult this feature would be to implement…)

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:22PM=-=>

“It could also include a column for the constraint name that was violated.”

An error may be caused by something other than a constraint violation, e.g. a data type violation:

DECLARE @t TABLE (i INT)
    INSERT @t SELECT ‘abc’

… so I’d rather the virtual table have a column with the actual error message. (Which would include the constraint name anyway.) And maybe a column for the error number.

<=-=Dec 20 2012 1:24PM=-=>

Of course the last…

15. Add to the FULL TEXT INDEX a REGULAR EXPRESSION ability

My requirement comes from having to find all records in a table of documents in which there is a field "Title" and "DocumentText" through a FULLTEXT search, but in most cases the search is to find documents that contain an item number. This item code is an alphanumeric variable composition but may be correctly recognized by a regular expression.

Actually I must search through the exact expression LIKE '%item%' with very poor performance.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 25 2011 10:27AM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion for improving the Fulltext Search Featureset. This is an often requested feature and is on our radar for improvements in future releases. At this stage unfortunately we can not provide any timeline on its availability.

Best regards
    Microsoft SQL Server Search Group

16. QUALIFY - Request for a New Filtering Clause

This entry describes a request for a new query filtering clause called QUALIFY in SQL Server.

As of SQL Server 2008 (including R2) T-SQL supports three standard filtering clauses based on predicates (ON, WHERE, HAVING), and one nonstandard filtering option based on a number/percent of rows and ordering (TOP). Window calculations (e.g., ranking and aggregate calculations that use the OVER clause, and hopefully others in the future) are only allowed in the SELECT and ORDER BY clauses of a query, and therefore you cannot refer to those directly in the filtering clauses that are based on predicates. For example, the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 371

<=-=Feb 10 2010 1:31PM=-=>

What a great suggestion – this would make writing clearer and more self-documenting code so much easier.

<=-=Feb 15 2010 7:53AM=-=>

I do these kinds of ROW_NUMBER() queries ALL the time. This would be a wonderful option. Please give this serious consideration. It would make my code much cleaner.

<=-=Feb 16 2010 7:12AM=-=>

This would be extremely useful. The OVER clause was really handy, but the CTE is a necessary evil if you want to get the most use out of row_number(). You have my vote.

Thanks,
    Eric

<=-=Feb 17 2010 4:09PM=-=>

Hi Itzik,

Thank you for your suggestion! This does sound like a very useful addition to T-SQL. We will be triaging the request and see if it can make it into a future release of SQL Server.

Again, thanks for your feedback!
    - Tobias, SQL Server Engine

<=-=Mar 2 2010…
  17. Introduce more regular expressions functions to T-SQL

Regular expressions need to be more fully implemented in the T-SQL engine. For instance Oracle's REGEXP_SUBSTR would be nice so I could look for a string like b%e in abcdefg, replace it to get a[new string]fg.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 12

<=-=Oct 19 2007 8:18AM=-=>

Hello,

This is indeed a good suggestion—-so good we’ve gotten it a few times. :) I’m resolving this as a duplicate of Connect item 296631.

Cheers,
    -Isaac

<=-=Mar 26 2010 10:55AM=-=>

Hi,
    I have resolved this request as duplicate of feedback item below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/261342/regex-functionality-in-pattern-matching?wa=wsignin1.0

Umachandar, SQL Programmability Team

18. BCP out to include field columns names

BCP out to include field columns.
    Would be very helpful it the BCP command line tool will have the option to export the field column names

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 41

<=-=Oct 4 2007 10:13AM=-=>

Thank you for your feature suggestion. We are considering the improvement in our next release.

<=-=Jan 23 2012 11:23AM=-=>

It’s been three and a half years, and we’re headed toward our third release since this item was filed, but is this still being considered for “our next release”?

<=-=Feb 22 2012 7:56AM=-=>

One simple workaround to allow automation – (A 3 step job):
    1. Create a file _header.txt that has the column headings
    i.e. copy the first row [with header] of a select * from table, paste into excell, keep only headings and save as .txt

2. bcp out to Data.txt file
    i.e. bcp DB.dbo.table_name out c:\table_name
    Data.txt -Sserver -T -c

3. Concatenate files with the copy command
    i.e. copy /a /Y C:\tbl_header.txt + C:\tbl_Data.txt C:\tbl.txt

Also, you can bcp out of a view which offers tremendous additional functionality… :-)

<=-=May 28 2014 3:54AM=-=>

19. PIVOT

PIVOT statement is required explicittly indicate a list of values that will be the columns to be created. The trouble is that is not DINAMIC and if a new value appear, a modification must be done for accept the new one.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 100

<=-=Nov 23 2005 3:16PM=-=>

Thank you Yoshiko for making us aware of this customer request. What makes this request difficult to fulfill technically is that the inner subquery would determine the shape of the output result set. The way SQL Server is built, the shape of a relational result set needs to be determined independently of the data the query accesses. I understand the business reasoning of having such a facility though, so we are keeping this issue active for the next version of the product to see what alternate solutions we can come up with for this meaningful scenario.

Oliver Seeliger,
    SQL Server Development

<=-=Oct 13 2008 4:05PM=-=>

I’d like to further request the ability to order the pivoted columns by optionally specifying the order by clause in the subquery. Right now, the only way to pivot the columns server-side is to modify the workaround I posted…

20. Add CREATE DOMAIN command

Can't define domains in SQL Server 2005 for data types.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 36

<=-=Feb 17 2006 2:04PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider your input for planning of future release of SQL Server.

<=-=Jul 19 2007 1:38AM=-=>

Hello

please consider ALTER DOMAIN, too.
    This should allow minor changes to the domain (like changing the size of a char column) WITHOUT data loss.

Thx
    EH

<=-=Nov 15 2008 7:21AM=-=>

This feature is a standard feature in ISO SQL and is well used in case tool like Power AMC while modeling the datas. Its a feature that can optimize the data model by fixing globally the types of informations across the tables that will result of no implicit cast while using two columns in a join wich can have been differently created in two different tables. Example : column name in table customer as varchar(25) and column name in table employee as nchar(32). This would be avoided by using a NAME SQL

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base