SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unnatural Hierarchies Perform Worse than Expected

The SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Performance Guide claims that "the performance of the unnatural hierarchies vs. cross-joins at query time is relatively similar". This is what Analysis Services developers expect and what they would like to believe; but it is simply not true. It might happen to hold for very, very small attribute cardinalities (several 100's or 1000's) but it is not true in the general sense. The performance of drilling down into unnatural hierachies becomes increasingly worse (as compared to equivalent cross-joins) as the cardinalities of the dimension attributes increase. Unnatural hierarchies become unreasonably slow when cardinalities get…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Jun 5 2008 8:30AM=-=>

This MSDN Forum thread provides some examples of this issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3354364&SiteID=1
    >>
    Nested DrillDownLevel in Excel Pivot Table Queries

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:04PM=-=>

Hello Customer,
    Thanks for reporting the problem. We plan to work on this issue in our next major release. There is a work item opened for it, and your bug will be closed.

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:06PM=-=>

Hello Customer,
    Thanks for reporting the problem. We plan to work on this issue in our next major release. There is a work item opened for it, and your bug will be closed.

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:08PM=-=>

Hello Customer,

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Dec 3 2009 4:34PM=-=>

Any word on this?…

2. TSQL Job Step stops at first error

I have a diagnostics procedure which check object integrity at my developers database. The procedure can return numerous errors. It takes long time to execute so I run it in a job. Unfortunately after finding the first error the job step stops executing and I have no info on any subsequent errors. I now user a following workaround: I run the procedure with osql and examine the output file. I would like to be able to do this without using this workaround.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 64

<=-=Dec 13 2006 9:29AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting your problems running your TSQL job to completion, even in the presence of errors. We will be looking at ways to ease tsql job use in our next version of SQL Server, and will take your requirements into account.

You can help by telling us how a better system would behave. If it doesn’t stop on the first error, which error should it stop on? Are you asking just for an “ignore errors” option? Or would it be configurable, by numbers of errors? Severity of errors? Would you see any changes in logging to go along with this?

Your reply will be included alongside your initial observation when we do come to laying out the features we are planning.

Thanks again,

jkh

<=-=Oct 31 2008 10:18AM=-=>

Hi,

We are considering it for the next release,

Thanks,

Gil

<=-=Jul 22 2009…
  3. Xquery join

Since the xquery method is an instance method, there is no obvious way to join multiple xml documents. Without this ability, searching and reporting across multiple xml documents (multiple schemas) is not available.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 9 2007 5:20PM=-=>

Dear Nathan

Thanks for this request. We will be looking into this scenario in more details for a future release and provide a solution.

In SQL Server 2005 and 2008, the recommended work arounds are to either aggregate all documents into a single document or to use the nodes() method, SQL and FOR XML to perform the cross-document processing.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Jan 30 2008 6:38AM=-=>

using the nodes() method can interfere with the results. if one xml document relies on node position being maintained, using the nodes() method will re-order the results to suit the second xml document.

Because there is no support for the position() method outside the [ ] brackets, it is not possible to enforce the original positioning of the xml.

the lack of support for ‘to’ or ‘at’ syntax further compounds this problem.

<=-=Feb 6 2008 8:43PM=-=>

Thanks for…

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base