SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MDX needs a special division-by-zero operator

So much time and space is spent in MDX handling division by zero, why not have a special operator for it or handle it automatically? At the moment we always have to use something like IIF(d=0, null, n/d) which takes a lot of unnecessary space, and is something people new to MDX often fail to do.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 77

<=-=Jul 28 2009 4:46PM=-=>

Thanks Chris for your suggestion.
    We will take a look at it.
    Edward Melomed.

<=-=Nov 19 2010 3:46PM=-=>

any updates?

<=-=Mar 19 2014 10:44AM=-=>

So since this has been addressed with the DIVIDE function, can we close this suggestion?

<=-=Mar 20 2014 2:25AM=-=>

Yes, go ahead. Thanks for implementing this!

<=-=Mar 1 2017 9:24PM=-=>

Closing this item since it was implemented: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj873944.aspx

2. Add COLUMN keyword to the ADD COLUMN SYNTAX (as alternate)

The problem is that it is wierd that
    ALTER TABLE
    ALTER COLUMN

is the syntax for altering,
    ALTER TABLE
    DROP COLUMN
    is the syntax for dropping, but
    ALTER TABLE
    ADD COLUMN
    is NOT the syntax for adding a column.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Sep 13 2006 10:12AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes there is an inconsistency in ALTER TABLE syntax for adding columns. We will look into fixing this in the next release.

Thanks,
    - Balaji Rathakrishnan
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

We are tracking this request as a part of another item and we will consider fixing this in a future release.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Aug 29 2008 7:31AM=-=>

Reopened as it was marked closed-fixed, yet it still works the same way in 2008.

<=-=Oct 16 2008 3:07AM=-=>

I find it interesting that SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 allows a “ALTER TABLE tbl ADD COLUMN col1” command, even if the COLUMN keyword is not documented in the ALTER TABLE syntax (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174123.aspx).

<=-=Dec 27 2008 8:13AM=-=>

Consistency is everything. I am sure that most people type ‘add column’ like I do,…

3. Management Studio: Customizing the Table Editor Columns.

Is it possible to customize the table editor to add some of the Column Properties to the editable table?
    E.g. add the Description column so that it can be easily edited from within the table. Maybe the screenshot shows better what I mean.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=May 4 2006 8:20AM=-=>

Hi Johann,
    Thank you for your suggestion regarding the customization of the table view. We will investigate this for a future release of SQL Server.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 16 2007 5:38AM=-=>

Hello Johann,

Thanks again for the suggestion. This bug has also been reported by another customer. We have decided to close one of them as a duplicate bug. We will try follow up on the tracking issue in the coming release of SQL Server.

Thanks
    Karthik

4. TSQL: Permit an "IF Exists ... ALTER" test when CREATING / ALTERING DDL statements.

It would be really nice to relax the restrictions on the �CREATE object� commands that enforce they are the only statements in the batch.

Want to permit an IF EXISTS <ALTER PROC/object> ELSE <CREATE PROC/object> as valid syntax.

I understand the transactional stability requirement, but adding a limited set of commands may not affect that requirement.

As the concern is likely to be about the atomic latching of system catalog, give me a new DDL word as we did with MERGE in DML that means ALTER IF EXISTS, CREATE IF DOESN'T

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Sep 3 2009 8:01AM=-=>

This has been filed multiple times. When you make the same suggestion more than once, you are just diluting the votes. Please vote on this item:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQL/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=127219

Hopefully they will close this one as a duplicate, like they should have also done with #351217.

<=-=Sep 9 2009 8:03PM=-=>

Hi Davele,

Thank you for your feedback! As Aaron mentioned this has already been filed under connect item 127219. I am resolving this one as a duplicate, please vote on the other item :-)

Thanks
    - Tobias

5. Support drillthrough on Gemini PivotTables

A PivotTable based on Gemini data doesn't support drillthrough (message "Show Details cannote be completed on a calculated cell").

I'm pretty sure this will be the first request of some users. In general, the drillthrough is one of the most critical requests of almost all of the SSAS implementations I made until today. I think that an action that moves the user to the Gemini AddIn, setting same filters corresponding to the cell that has been clicked for drillthrough would be perfect and highly appreciated.

PS: and if in SSAS 11 you will provide the Gemini AddIn as a drillthrough…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Aug 26 2009 12:54PM=-=>

Agreed. Very important feature. Frequently used in standard Excel PivotTables.

<=-=Aug 26 2009 1:56PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider your request when planning Gemini features. In the meantime, please continue to use the product and provide feedback. Your feedback helps us to build better products.

<=-=Sep 27 2012 4:57PM=-=>

Hello,

We now have a drillthrough function in SQL Server 2012. I will close this bug as fixed.

Regards,
    Kasper

<=-=Nov 16 2012 11:49AM=-=>

I used SSAS 2012 and excel 2010 and I get the same error. If this is related to SSAS should this not work with Excel 2010? Or am I wrong…?

“Show details cannot be executed with multiple items selected in a report filter or slicer.

6. Policy evaluation screen is difficult to read

If i have a policy that contains a script i get prompted by SSMS with a screen that is very difficult to read due to the blue hypertext on top of a blue row fill color.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Aug 10 2009 3:17PM=-=>

that’s all i get? marked as ‘resolved (won’t fix)’ without any comment?

<=-=Aug 10 2009 5:27PM=-=>

When Aaron Bertrand reported this (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=281293), he got “Closed by design.” :( For what it’s worth, you aren’t the only one bugged by this, and it’s all, not most humans who can’t read blue on blue, because our eyes aren’t engineered for it. I blogged about blue-on-blue here: http://stevekass.com/2008/08/04/humans-cant-read-blue/. Makes you wonder what species is doing GUI development in Redmond, doesn’t it?

<=-=Aug 26 2009 12:35PM=-=>

Huamns also can’t read light gray on gray or light yellow on most any background. Is this a conspiracy to get us old guys out of the business. (I also find 6 and 8 point fonts a bit tough)

<=-=Sep 22 2009 4:41PM=-=>

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for submitting the feedback. This a known issue. I understand the…

7. Cannot access global variables inside the body of a report

Cannot access global variables inside the body of a report
    � The only built-in globals this is true for is Page Number and Total Pages - the reasoning for this the page body does not reset itself on page change so it would not reflect the page number on any subsequent page after page 1. The headers and footers are refreshed on each page so the ability to include a page number is possible.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SSRS Sizes Set Via Expression

I have ran into a scenario where I need to set the row height dynamically depending on the data row count to match the height of an adjacent table. My attempted work-around was to create a temporary sub-report dynamically at runtime (replacing the <height> tag via a streamreader of the original subreport), however, the subreport property is read-only as well...

This would be quite useful for some future release!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 10 2009 12:01PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in about this. I have closed this request as a duplicate of one that we already have on file. It sounds like there are several things that you are asking for here, based on the requirement that you mentioned to have two separate tables located side-by-side:

1) Expression-based sizing and layout
    2) The ability to join multiple datasets into one so that heterogeneous data can be presented in the same data region
    3) Grid-layout capabilities

Each of these represents a feature request for SSRS, so thanks to your request we now have them on file.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

9. Dynamic Size/Location

I would like to be able to enter an expression for the size (Width/Height) of a textbox or line as well as the location (Left/Top). This keeps me from making a report that is like a schedule or Gantt chart. I use RDLCs and the client viewer for Windows Forms.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Nov 8 2006 4:30PM=-=>

Thanks for the feedback. While I understand the desire to change the position of items at runtime, supporting dynamic positions combined with the growth behavior of items is prohibitively expensive. But there are several workarounds for your specific scenario. For example, you can use expression-based left padding of items to push them within a container. In addition, the Dundas chart control extension for Reporting Services specifically supports Gantt charts (as it is within a CustomReportItem).

<=-=Jul 31 2009 9:13AM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in with this request. I have closed this one as a duplicate of an existing request for this feature that we already have. I encourage the community to continue voting on this if there is demand for it.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

10. Unnatural Hierarchies Perform Worse than Expected

The SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Performance Guide claims that "the performance of the unnatural hierarchies vs. cross-joins at query time is relatively similar". This is what Analysis Services developers expect and what they would like to believe; but it is simply not true. It might happen to hold for very, very small attribute cardinalities (several 100's or 1000's) but it is not true in the general sense. The performance of drilling down into unnatural hierachies becomes increasingly worse (as compared to equivalent cross-joins) as the cardinalities of the dimension attributes increase. Unnatural hierarchies become unreasonably slow when cardinalities get…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Jun 5 2008 8:30AM=-=>

This MSDN Forum thread provides some examples of this issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3354364&SiteID=1
    >>
    Nested DrillDownLevel in Excel Pivot Table Queries

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:04PM=-=>

Hello Customer,
    Thanks for reporting the problem. We plan to work on this issue in our next major release. There is a work item opened for it, and your bug will be closed.

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:06PM=-=>

Hello Customer,
    Thanks for reporting the problem. We plan to work on this issue in our next major release. There is a work item opened for it, and your bug will be closed.

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Jun 9 2008 12:08PM=-=>

Hello Customer,

Thanks,
    Hanying

<=-=Dec 3 2009 4:34PM=-=>

Any word on this?…

11. TSQL Job Step stops at first error

I have a diagnostics procedure which check object integrity at my developers database. The procedure can return numerous errors. It takes long time to execute so I run it in a job. Unfortunately after finding the first error the job step stops executing and I have no info on any subsequent errors. I now user a following workaround: I run the procedure with osql and examine the output file. I would like to be able to do this without using this workaround.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 64

<=-=Dec 13 2006 9:29AM=-=>

Thank you for reporting your problems running your TSQL job to completion, even in the presence of errors. We will be looking at ways to ease tsql job use in our next version of SQL Server, and will take your requirements into account.

You can help by telling us how a better system would behave. If it doesn’t stop on the first error, which error should it stop on? Are you asking just for an “ignore errors” option? Or would it be configurable, by numbers of errors? Severity of errors? Would you see any changes in logging to go along with this?

Your reply will be included alongside your initial observation when we do come to laying out the features we are planning.

Thanks again,

jkh

<=-=Oct 31 2008 10:18AM=-=>

Hi,

We are considering it for the next release,

Thanks,

Gil

<=-=Jul 22 2009…
  12. Xquery join

Since the xquery method is an instance method, there is no obvious way to join multiple xml documents. Without this ability, searching and reporting across multiple xml documents (multiple schemas) is not available.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Jul 9 2007 5:20PM=-=>

Dear Nathan

Thanks for this request. We will be looking into this scenario in more details for a future release and provide a solution.

In SQL Server 2005 and 2008, the recommended work arounds are to either aggregate all documents into a single document or to use the nodes() method, SQL and FOR XML to perform the cross-document processing.

Best regards
    Michael

<=-=Jan 30 2008 6:38AM=-=>

using the nodes() method can interfere with the results. if one xml document relies on node position being maintained, using the nodes() method will re-order the results to suit the second xml document.

Because there is no support for the position() method outside the [ ] brackets, it is not possible to enforce the original positioning of the xml.

the lack of support for ‘to’ or ‘at’ syntax further compounds this problem.

<=-=Feb 6 2008 8:43PM=-=>

Thanks for…

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base