SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SSMS Standard Reports -- Include as .rdl files

Include the standard reports as .rdl files so that they can be modified and saved back into the "Custom Reports" folder.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Dark" color theme to SQL Server 2016 SSMS

Please, add "Dark" color theme to SQL Server 2016 SSMS.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add optional checks for more robust development

As programming environment SQL Server has shortcomings that are entirely
    inappropriate for enterprise development. In a modern programming language,
    the compile tries to catch as many errors as possible. The earlier errors
    are found, the cheaper it is to fix them. And nothing is as cheap as a
    compiler slapping the error in your face. Errors normally not caught by
    SQL Server when you create a T-SQL modules are:

o If a query refers to a missing table, SQL Server is completely silent;
    you don't get the error until run-time.

o In fact, when query refers to a missing table,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 201

<=-=Aug 23 2007 11:00PM=-=>

The last suggestion (regarding wrong join clauses) was also posted by me in Feedback ID 150032. You can close my suggestion as a duplicate of this one.

Razvan

<=-=Jan 30 2008 2:49PM=-=>

Hello Erland

Thanks for sending in this feedback and for clearly listing the conditions for which detection at compile time would enhance the development experience. We are tracking these as potential enhancements to T-SQL in a future SQL Server release.

SQL Server Engine Team

<=-=Feb 5 2008 1:44PM=-=>

The option to disallow implicit conversions definitely gets my vote. I’d like to see a separate setting for that. Something like: ALTER DATABASE SET IMPLICT_CONVERSION OFF;

<=-=Jun 14 2008 1:46PM=-=>

I developed this idea in an article on my web site. In this article I go into more depth how this feature should work with reagards to missing tables. I have…

4. Need VIEW DEFINITION permissions per database

A common question on the newsgroups is "What do I need to do so that users in Mgmt
    Studio only see the databases they have access to?". Surely, they are accustomed to
    this from SQL 2000, where EM would behave this way. Alas, there were issues with
    how EM implemented this. It went and checked every database, and this could be
    costly, particularly if there were many databases on auto-close.

What is possible in SQL 2005, is to revoke or deny the permission VIEW ANY DATABASE.
    However, this is too far-reaching, because now users can only see the system databases …

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 258

<=-=Apr 6 2008 6:30PM=-=>

Hi Erland,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will investigate a solution for a future version of SQL Server (post 2008).

Il-Sung Lee.

<=-=Jun 11 2010 12:51PM=-=>

Surely a change could also be made to SSMS as well? When it parses master.sys.databases it could conceivably filter those results. Whilst not a foolproof method, at least it would work as a quick temporary solution (considering this was posted 3 yrs ago).

<=-=Sep 23 2010 4:12PM=-=>

The problem with changing SSMS is that it doesn’t strictly fix the issue as anyone who is determined to discover the other databases would just directly query the server metadata. As such, I think we need to investigate a solution this for all cases, not just SSMS.

Il-Sung.

<=-=Aug 3 2011 7:12AM=-=>

Has there been any new development for this suggestion? As an organization, we’d like to see this…

5. Provide a hint to force generation of a parallel plan

The SQL Server query optimizer often chooses a serial plan (with a significant estimated cost) where a parallel plan would execute much faster.
    Often, the desired parallel plan costs only very slightly higher than the serial version.

The root cause can usually be traced back to optimizer model limitations, other simplifying assumptions made by the costing component, unavoidable cardinality estimation errors in moderately complex plans,
    or the use of operations that do not allow us to give the optimizer good information about the cardinality and distribution of output values (e.g. CLR functions).

To be clear, the motivation for this suggestion…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 220

<=-=Dec 21 2011 10:50AM=-=>

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider this for a future release. There is an undocumented trace flag 8649 to set the cost overhead of parallelism to 0. This may provide some relief, but is not a full solution. You can use it in a query hint in the form OPTION.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manger
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Dec 21 2011 3:39PM=-=>

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the very quick response. TF 8649 is indeed very helpful – perhaps we’re not so far away from seeing a PARALLEL_PLAN or MINDOP hint as I thought! Very cool, thanks again.

Paul

<=-=Feb 20 2014 1:02AM=-=>

Any update on this? a normal hint would be much better than some undocumented or short term workarounds.

<=-=Jun 8 2014 10:04PM=-=>

Any update? It’s been a couple of years….

<=-=Dec 1 2014 1:26AM=-=>

I have major problem…

6. Regex functionality in pattern matching

It would be good to be able to have full regex capabilities when using LIKE or Patindex.

It would also be good to have a regex table function that returned matches.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 419

<=-=Mar 8 2007 3:20AM=-=>

I agree with the functionality request, but not the suggested approach of enhancing the LIKE, PATINDEX or adding a table function.

This functionality should be implemented by supporting the SQL99 SIMILAR predicate (ISO 9075 feature T141, ISO 9075-2-1999 section 8.6).

<=-=Mar 21 2007 1:23PM=-=>

I echo the wish to not overload LIKE or PATINDEX. Personally I don’t like SIMILAR either, though. How about a REGEX function with REGEX somewhere in the name?

<=-=Aug 20 2007 10:21PM=-=>

Hello,

First of all i would like to thank all of you for sending your feedback to us. We are definitely going to consider adding this capability in the query language in a future release. However, until then have you considered using CLR integration for this purpose. .NET has the capability and it is very simple to use .NET to add this capability…

7. Allow OPTION(HASH GROUP) with SQLCLR UDAs

Currently, it appears that when SQLCLR UDA are used with a GROUP BY clause, a StreamAggregate operation must always be used. Attempting to specify OPTION(HASH GROUP) on a query like this:

SELECT dbo.SomeUDA(col1) FROM someTable GROUP BY someColumn OPTION(HASH GROUP)

produces an "Msg 8622, Query processor could not produce a query plan..."

I only have a single test case, but because there is no special considerations in the grouping column (someColumn) in this case, I can only guess its because you'd need to allocate N UDA instances where N is the number of groups.

This should be permitted (indeed a…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Jan 4 2011 4:40PM=-=>

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider fixing this in a future release. Can you tell me more about the scenario? What UDAgg were you implementing and why? Feel free to contact me by email if you want.

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manager, SQL Server Query Processing
    eric.n.hanson@microsoft.com

<=-=Jan 4 2011 5:15PM=-=>

Sure Eric, there are a few that I can think of. This actually came about because of the following forum question:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlnetfx/thread/957a5b94-c7d0-49d8-928d-7cccff14b0c6. I realized that the sort was required because of choice of stream aggregate. And he can’t put on every index possible to get rid of the sort.

Second is that the spatial aggregates in Denali would need this funtionality. Related to that is that there’s a vendor product that consists of a library of UDAs, Fuzzy Logix (http://www.fuzzyl.com/in-database_analytics.php#) that could benefit from this flexibility as…

8. Allow SSRS Parameter Panel to be formatted

The parameter panel layout for a SSRS report cannot be customised in any way. This is a major flaw and often a reason that SSRS is rejected as an end user tool. The parameter panel has changed very little since the initial release of SSRS and looks dated

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 185

<=-=Apr 1 2010 8:04AM=-=>

It would be really nice to be able to use other input controls at the very least. We always talk about “end-user experience” but that concept doesn’t seem to reach to end-users running SSRS reports. Multi-value drop-down lists only go so far for input, particularly with reports that use KPI—ah, wouldn’t it be nice to have a slider!?

<=-=Apr 26 2010 10:59AM=-=>

Thank you for the suggestion and we do agree with you. We are looking at improving the parameter story in our next release. We agree with your idea for using sliders and other more “up to date” features. Look for changes in SQL11 and possibly Dev11.

<=-=Feb 23 2011 9:24AM=-=>

OH YES!

- Placement control, at the very least a “ForceToLeftColumn” for a parameter or a separator
    - Size control. As it is, single-choice dropdowns grow with the contents with…

9. SSMS debugger should show the contents of TSQL table variables

Inability to see the contents of TSQL table-valued parameters or local table variables within the Auto/Local pane seriously impedes the ability to debug TSQL code that depends on them.

There are workarounds, for example this one...

http://stackoverflow.com/a/6748570/533120

...but they are tedious and tend to "eject" the developer from the current "mind-frame" exactly at the moment this ejection is most harmful - when trying to understand a complex bug.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a dark theme for SQL server management studio 2016

A massive white space is a strain on the eyes when working for long periods with Management studio. In Tools >> Options >> Environment >> General add a "Dark" colour theme.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Network Compression (compress TDS stream)

When transferring data between SQL instances on different servers, network sometimes becomes a bottleneck. If the size of the payload can be compressed prior to transmit perf may increase (given adequate resources to process the compression).

Consider adding the ability to compress the TDS stream for future a SQL Server release.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 80

<=-=Feb 20 2009 10:20AM=-=>

Dear Customer,

Thank you for helping us improve our products!
    The issue of TDS compression has come up already, and we are considering possibilities. As you mention, it is not a something that would provide a benefit in all scenarios. We need to spend some time justifying the need for it and thinking about a safe way to enable without negatively impacting existing use cases. We�ll keep the issue open until make a final a decision, and we�ll keep you updated of the progress.

Meanwhile, please take a look at this link that explains how Windows Server 2008 does TCP compression for SQL Server 2008, which might be sufficient for your scenario – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd263442.aspx.

Thanks again,
    Zlatko Michailov
    Program Manager, SQL Protocols

<=-=Sep 8 2009 8:34AM=-=>

We typically see this when we want to move large amounts of data between SQL Servers over…

12. Expand synonym to other entities (database, linked server)

Synonyms provide a great layer of abstraction, allowing us to use friendly and/or local names for verbosely named or remote tables, views, procedures and functions. I have often felt that they are lacking, however, in enabling us to abstract a database or a server.

In one system I have a CRM_test database and a CRM_production database, and it would be nice to be able to change only a single synonym in order to move the main database from test to production. This is much easier than changing 80 synonyms that point to the individual objects inside the CRM database.

Similarly,…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 310

<=-=Dec 13 2007 9:53AM=-=>

Hi aaron,
    Thanks for your feedback on this. As I replied to another change request from you earlier (on a synonym support for Databases) we are unable to take up this alias/synonym support for databases in SQL Server 2008 due to time/resource constraints. We will definitely investigate this further to see if we can take this up in the next SQL Server release.

thanks
    Srini Acharya

<=-=Jun 6 2008 5:43PM=-=>

The inability to create database synonyms severely restricts the usefulness of synonyms in general. The use of synonyms is substantially complicated when moving from one database to another (e.g., Dev to UAT to Production) because you can’t create a synonym for a database. This would be a very useful feature and would likely increase the use of synonyms in a greater variety of projects.

<=-=Nov 18 2008 3:36PM=-=>

I’d like to see database synonyms…

13. Allow Sub Folders in SSRS Projects

I think that it would be great if we could create sub folders under the Reports folder of a SSRS project in BIDS so that if we needed to create folders for our reports on the Report Server we wouldn't have to keep them in separate projects with separate data sources.

I know that we can have multiple projects in a single solution, but this is just a work around. I've got a dozen projects in a single solution in BIDS and when I make changes to reports in different folders that are related but for business reasons are in…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 309

<=-=Feb 2 2012 2:12PM=-=>

Additionally, having a hidden folder for sub reports would be a BIG improvement. I can do it in Report Builder, but not in Visual Studio. That is BACKWARDS. Give the developer more power than the end user, not LESS! The current limitations are very counter productive.

<=-=Aug 6 2012 3:04AM=-=>

47 votes – and no answer from microsoft in 3 years.

I would like either this – OR to have shared data sources and shared datasets at the solution level as well.

Basically i need a way to have different deployment options (where to deploy to etc) but have shared data sets and sources across multiple projects.

<=-=Sep 13 2012 2:29AM=-=>

I wouldn’t minds but visual studio natively has the facility to create your own folder structure, its been disabled in BIDS!

I ended up having to write an app to…

14. Support POSIX-style regular expressions in T-SQL

Regular expressions is a very powerful way to match data, far more powerful
    than the LIKE operator in SQL. Regular expressions comes in a number of flavours:
    POSIX defines one standard, .Net have their own twist (I think), and Perl is
    probably the most elaborate of them all. But they all share some common
    traits: . is a wildchard charcted, * means previous pattern zero or more times etc.

ANSI/ISO have tried to catch up, and SQL:1999 introduced the SIMILAR TO
    operator, but it's obvious that they are on the wrong track. They still use % and
    _ as wildcard…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 22

<=-=Aug 12 2008 2:12PM=-=>

Of course, there should also a be a replace function that can work with regular expression. Both for the pattern to find – and for the replacement string.

<=-=Aug 13 2008 7:16AM=-=>

Hi Erland,

I’ve resolved this as a duplicate of Connect #261342 and made sure your comments are reflected in that issue. I can tell you that this is under serious consideration right now. If you haven’t already voted on that item, it would be worth it to do so.

Thanks,
    -Isaac

15. Remote table-valued function calls are not allowed

Steps to reproduce:

create function dbo.TestFunc() returns @t table (id int) as
    begin
    insert @t values (1)
    insert @t values (2)
    insert @t values (3)
    return
    end
    go
    select * from tempdb.dbo.TestFunc()
    go
    select * from [sharepoint].tempdb.dbo.TestFunc()
    -- [sharepoint] - local machine

And get error
    Msg 4122, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Remote table-valued function calls are not allowed.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 100

<=-=Dec 7 2007 10:41AM=-=>

Yes, this would be great. You can call views and stored procs from another server or another database; you should be able to call table-valued functions also.

I hope this is fixed in SQL Server 2008.

<=-=Dec 21 2007 2:15PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback regarding remote table-valued function calls. We are currently investigating the effort needed to implement this functionality. Since we are wrapping up our efforts on the next release of SQL Server (2008) it is unlikley that a fix will be available by then.

Regards,

Joachim Hammer

Program Manager
    SQL Server

<=-=Feb 22 2008 6:31AM=-=>

This is one of those “loose ends” that frustrates the SQL 2005 users. I hope that the MS SQL 2008 team(s) will take care…

<=-=Jul 3 2008 11:46AM=-=>

Hope this is fixed soon. Big issue for linking two sql servers.

<=-=Sep 23 2008 8:12AM=-=>

Oh, gods, yes…

16. Add support for OVER (ORDER BY) for CLR Aggregate functions

Currently, there is no way to specify aggregate function processing order - and, indeed, the IsInvariantToOrder property of the SqlUserDefinedAggregate attribute has no effect.

This can be important for string concatenation aggregates, as the strings may have to be aggregated in a specific order. The ability to use a clause such as:

SELECT dbo.StringConcatenate(StringValue) OVER (ORDER BY ID) FROM dbo.MyTable

This would mean that you could support better forms of aggregation, and that other aggregates could be implemented in a more succinct way (for example, a median aggregate could benefit from knowing that input was ordered).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 36

<=-=Oct 8 2010 11:58AM=-=>

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your feedback. We will consider it for a future version of SQL Server. Please note however that the syntax you are proposing doesn’t achieve what you are looking for. The ORDER BY within OVER clause controls the ordering of the window and not the order of rows to the aggregate. We support OVER clause (excluding ORDER BY clause since we don’t have it) already for CLR aggregates. So if we extend OVER clause to support ORDER BY it will work with existing CLR aggregates also.
    ANSI SQL:2008 and earlier has a feature called ordered set functions that use a WITHIN GROUP specification. One such aggregate is PERCENTILE_CONT which looks like:

PERCENTILE_CONT( ) WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY )

Once we support the above syntax for ordered set function, we will consider extending the CLR Aggregate contract to do the…
  17. SQL Server 2008 Database Audit on INSERT UPDATE and DELETE actual SQL and not parameter values

If a database Audit Specification is created for a table object on SELECT, INSERT UPDATE and DELETE and the Transact SQL to perform the SELECT, INSERT UPDATE or DELETE contains a parameter, then the parameter is shown in the Audit Log instead of the parameter value.

For example, executing the following TSQL statement:

INSERT INTO [config] VALUES ('test','1234')

creates an audit entry:
    object_name:config
    statement:INSERT INTO [config] VALUES ('test','1234')

However, executing the TSQL:

DECLARE @stat1 varchar(10)='test'
    DECLARE @stat2 varchar(10)='1234'
    INSERT INTO [config] VALUES (@stat1,@stat2)

Creates the audit entry:
    object_name:config
    statement:INSERT INTO [config] VALUES (@stat1,@stat2)

In order for…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 54

<=-=Nov 29 2010 8:49AM=-=>

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your feedback!

This is a great suggestion to improve the SQL Server Audit experience and we will try to consider this in our future release planning.

Thank you and regards,
    Don Pinto
    SQL Server Engine

<=-=Jul 29 2011 9:58AM=-=>

I can’t believe there aren’t more comments on this subject. I assume it’s simply because not many are currently using the auditing system, likely one reason is due to the limitation described here.

It seems like a logical step to include parameters within the additional_information field (which appears completely unused with regard to table level events). Perhaps this was overlooked due to performance issues?

While I’m on the topic, and understanding that CDC is NOT necessarily to be used for auditing, it seems odd to me that the information regarding WHO did something is not included with the…

18. SSRS: Export tooltips to Excel as comments

It would be nice if exporting a report to Excel resulted in the tooltips travelling with it and appearing in Excel as comments.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 56

<=-=Jan 13 2010 10:03AM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in with this feature request. While this feature isn’t available yet, we’ve flagged it for consideration for a future release of SQL Server Reporting Services.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

<=-=Dec 13 2012 7:57AM=-=>

How shit that you can’t do this already!! How did they never bloody think of this? Multi-billion dollar company, and they can’t think of anything innovative. Even Apple are better than Microsoft.

<=-=Apr 4 2013 12:42PM=-=>

Having worked with multiple companies over the years in the BI space there are two primary export/save as scenarios for the displayed report, Excel or PDF. When exporting to Excel, business clients invariably want all the richness of the report preserved to the extent possible. Lost tooltips is one example, charts rendered as bitmaps with no data behind is another.

We hope SSRS is actually moving to the…

19. Populate has_default_value in sys.parameters

As we all know, T-SQL stored procedure parameter defaults are not stored in sys.parameters, all_parameters, and system_parameters. They are also not exposed through sp_sproc_columns, sys.columns, or sp_procedure_params_rowset.

However, Management Studio has no problems at least indicating whether or not a default value exists (though not the actual value) for a specific parameter (this is new in 2005; Query Analyzer did not show this). So I know that the information can be retrieved somehow, whether it is parsing the text in sys.sql_modules.definition, or using spt_sproc_columns_odbc_view, or some internal mechanism invisible to profiler.

This is not an overly common request, but it…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 62

<=-=Nov 13 2006 2:23PM=-=>

HI Tim,

As posted by Tibor Karaszi, BOL document that “SQL Server only maintains default values for CLR objects in this catalog view; therefore, this
    column has a value of 0 for Transact-SQL objects. To view the default value of a parameter in a Transact-SQL object, query the definition column of the sys.sql_modules catalog view, or use the OBJECT_DEFINITION system function.”

We dont store even the bit that indicating parameter is of default value in Yukon.

Thanks for the feedback, we will look into addressing this more completely in future releases.

Best Regards
    Andrew
    [MSFT]

<=-=Nov 13 2006 2:56PM=-=>

Hi Andrew, this is Aaron not Tim. If you are not gong to fix these omissions from sys.parameters, then could you at least share/publish the code that Management Studio uses to parse syscomments.text, since it is fully capable of showing…

20. Allow for outer joins in indexed views

Currently there is a restriction for indexed views to only contain inner joins. This effectively restricts the use case to non-null fk relations. Nullable fk relations are impossible to materialize.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 3

<=-=Feb 7 2011 2:05PM=-=>

Why not a filtered index?

<=-=Feb 8 2011 10:31AM=-=>

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. The columnstore index feature coming in the Denali release provides such excellent performance that many data warehouse and data mart customers won’t need indexed views any more. So that may provide an adequate solution for you. See http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/C/1/8C1CE06B-DE2F-40D1-9C5C-3EE521C25CE9/Columnstore%20Indexes%20for%20Fast%20DW%20QP%20SQL%20Server%2011.pdf

Best regards,
    Eric Hanson
    Program Manager
    SQL Server Query Processing

<=-=Feb 8 2011 10:51AM=-=>

Please don’t leave out OLTP customer… Indexed views are great for eliminating joins for mostly read data. Consider the following schema:

create table forumthreads (id, userid null, title)
    create table users (id, name)

and the query:
    select top 10 * from forumthreads left join users order by users.name

No single-table index can satisfy the sort order so the entire result set must be materialized and top-n sorted. It would be much…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base