SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 powers your entire data estate by supporting structured and unstructured data sources. It builds on previous versions of SQL Server, which have been industry leading for four years in a row and a leader in TPC-E. It scales to petabytes of data and allows customers to process big data through PolyBase using T-SQL over any data. SQL Server has also been the least vulnerable database during the last seven years. SQL Server 2017 brings data insights with business intelligence capabilities that provide analytics at a fraction of the cost on any device along with advanced analytics with support for R and Python.

More details about SQL Server are available in the SQL Server documentation.
If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We take a number of inputs into consideration when triaging issues. Business impact (severity of the issue) as well as Votes (or likelihood of a customer being impacted) are just two of the factors we consider when triaging.

We do not simply use votes alone.

2. Enable batch mode for all queries

As of SQL 2014 batch mode is tied to whether the query reference any columnstore index in any way or not. It is not tied to actually retrieving data out of a columnstore index. For example you can make any query at all use batch mode by joining to a zero-row columnstore dummy table:

LEFT JOIN ZeroRowsCsDummyTable on 0=1

The optimizer deletes that join and there is zero performance impact. Real speedups can be observed in many query by mechanically slapping this onto queries.

So apparently the engine supports batch mode in all queries and it is profitable to use…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have rolled out the public preview of batch mode on rowstore starting with SQL Server 2019 CTP 2.0 and coming soon to Azure SQL Database. We still won’t have this run for * all * queries given that it isn’t appropriate for all workload types, but we will expand the query optimization search space based on heuristics. Described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/performance/intelligent-query-processing?view=sql-server-2017#batch-mode-on-rowstore

3. SSMS install location

SSMS should not be "magically apple installed" to wherever it pleases. it should ask me where the #$@% I want it to live. How the hell do you drop such a simple and basic feature? Rationalize all you want about how nobody *needs* it, or it has a small footprint so it's ok, or ... or ... - but it's stupid.

Simple stuff MS, stop turning into Apple and find your way again... atm you're lost on every simple thing and customers like my enormous company are starting to fall away... (We dropped dozens of sql server installs this year)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Intellisense for REPLACE function is useless

Please have a more helpful Intellisense description for the REPLACE function...

You need to come up with something better than REPLACE(expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1), expression nvarchar(1)) RETURNS nvarchar(1)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Release Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2012

Service Pack 1 for SQL 2012 was released over a year ago. Since then, numerous bugs have been fixed. They are available in cumulative update packages (10 to date). However, Microsoft recommends customers not to install these cumulative updates unless affected by one of the fixed bugs. That creates a dilemma for SQL Server administrators. You do not want to install a package if Microsoft recommends against it, but you also want to take pro-active action so that you can squash the bug BEFORE it affects you.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add rowcount to live query statistics.

This is an issue I noticed whilst running the query mentioned in this feedback item https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback/Details/1955647

After the hash build input is completed the nested loops requests one row at a time and because the inner side of the nested loops join is slow all the other sub trees appear slow too and the percent complete increases for all of them in parallel.

This does not help to pinpoint the busy operators.

If the actual rows was displayed on the plan itself rather than buried in the properties window it would be possible to see at a glance that it…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SSRS 2016 Open Excel Workboos in Office Online Server 2016 (OOS)

The new SSRS portal is great, however the one thing it really needs is the ability to render excel workbooks in the browser. With OOS 2016 being a standalone product now, surely it wold be relatively easy to allow it to integrated with the new SSRS portal and render uploaded excel workbooks with pivot tables.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 1

<=-=Feb 16 2017 4:48PM=-=>

Thanks for your feedback – As communicated in a blog post on the Reporting Services team blog, we intend to include support for Excel Workbooks and viewing in browser in the next release of RS. This would leverage OOS accordingly – as such, I have closed this item as a duplicate of the work we already have planned.

Thanks,

The SQL Server BI Team

8. Allow users to disable phone-home feedback in SQL 2016 Developer, Express, and Evaluation Editions

By default, SQL Server 2016 phones home with telemetry data as described in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3153756. Let users disable that telemetry in Developer, Express, and Evaluation Editions.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upvotes: 325

<=-=Jun 2 2016 10:19AM=-=>

From https://www.microsoft.com/EN-US/privacystatement/SQLServer/Default.aspx, “It is possible that personally identifiable information may be captured in memory or in the data collected from open files, but Microsoft does not use it to identify you.”
    My developers must write and use interfaces to bank cores. Because of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3153756, my developers will potentially be sending MS the bank accounts, names, addresses, social security numbers, birth dates, and various passwords for millions of US citizens. This is unacceptable.

<=-=Jun 2 2016 11:26AM=-=>

I was going to install it on my report server but I can’t if this isn’t fixed because even the potential of leaked data is serious to my clients. In fact, I already keep a SQL express version separate for my internal reporting from my non-express SQL Server engine to minimize exposure. That means I’ll need to stick with 2014 which is too bad as I…

9. SSMS: Improve Actual Plan window interface

There is an improvement in Showplan in SQL Server 2016 and upcoming SQL Server 2014 SP2 that includes different metrics for each plan operator like:

ActualElapsedms="160"
    ActualCPUms="158"
    ActualLogicalReads="2466"
    � etc.

It would be nice to see these properties exposed in the Operator properties window in SSMS, not only in XML. And more important to see ActualElapsedms (or an option to choose between the extended option) directly under a plan operator icon, like we see an operator cost percentage.

Another improvement is to see the actual and estimated row count directly under a plan operator, because the difference between them is…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Display published version number somewhere in SSMS so user can tell what version they are running

Display published version number somewhere in SSMS so user can tell what version they are running without having to derive it from obscure information.

Displayed version in Help/about appears to not have anything to do with the published version number.
    eg: current version according to the site users are sent to by the updater prompt in SSMS is v16.5.3 but the version for SSMS listed under help about is 13.0.16016.4.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 2

<=-=Feb 13 2017 10:30PM=-=>

Hi DBithead,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We are aware of that and indeed fixed it. You should see this in a future version of SSMS (you can see it today if you give the SSMS 17.0 RC2 a try): the help/about will show pretty clearly that this is “v17.0 RC2” right at the top of the window. You’ll still see the precise file version of some components in the grid below, as they may provide useful informations when troubleshooting issues.

I’m going to resolve and close this issue for now.

Thanks,
    -Matteo

11. Regex

Hello,

Would it be possible to have a natively function to test a regular expression?

thank you

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Suggestions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please add sparse column support to nonclustered columnstore indexes

Sparse columns are very useful for a star schema.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=Jul 13 2017 11:01AM=-=>

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Columnstores process data significantly differently from traditional rowstore tables, and I suspect there would be little to no difference between the way that a columnstore would process a sparse column vs how it would process a NULL value in the column. Columnstores already compress out duplicate values from columns as part of their compression functionality.
    Is there a benefit to your queries from having sparse columns?

<=-=Oct 10 2017 8:48AM=-=>

We switched to clustered columnstore, pls close this issue.

13. MDX needs a special division-by-zero operator

So much time and space is spent in MDX handling division by zero, why not have a special operator for it or handle it automatically? At the moment we always have to use something like IIF(d=0, null, n/d) which takes a lot of unnecessary space, and is something people new to MDX often fail to do.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 77

<=-=Jul 28 2009 4:46PM=-=>

Thanks Chris for your suggestion.
    We will take a look at it.
    Edward Melomed.

<=-=Nov 19 2010 3:46PM=-=>

any updates?

<=-=Mar 19 2014 10:44AM=-=>

So since this has been addressed with the DIVIDE function, can we close this suggestion?

<=-=Mar 20 2014 2:25AM=-=>

Yes, go ahead. Thanks for implementing this!

<=-=Mar 1 2017 9:24PM=-=>

Closing this item since it was implemented: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj873944.aspx

14. Add COLUMN keyword to the ADD COLUMN SYNTAX (as alternate)

The problem is that it is wierd that
    ALTER TABLE
    ALTER COLUMN
    is the syntax for altering,
    ALTER TABLE
    DROP COLUMN
    is the syntax for dropping, but
    ALTER TABLE
    ADD COLUMN
    is NOT the syntax for adding a column.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 24

<=-=Sep 13 2006 10:12AM=-=>

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes there is an inconsistency in ALTER TABLE syntax for adding columns. We will look into fixing this in the next release.

Thanks,
    - Balaji Rathakrishnan
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft SQL Server

<=-=Nov 14 2007 11:19AM=-=>

Hi,

We are tracking this request as a part of another item and we will consider fixing this in a future release.

Thanks,
    -Vineet Rao

<=-=Aug 29 2008 7:31AM=-=>

Reopened as it was marked closed-fixed, yet it still works the same way in 2008.

<=-=Oct 16 2008 3:07AM=-=>

I find it interesting that SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 allows a “ALTER TABLE tbl ADD COLUMN col1” command, even if the COLUMN keyword is not documented in the ALTER TABLE syntax (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174123.aspx).

<=-=Dec 27 2008 8:13AM=-=>

Consistency is everything. I am sure that most people type ‘add column’ like I do,…

15. Management Studio: Customizing the Table Editor Columns.

Is it possible to customize the table editor to add some of the Column Properties to the editable table?
    E.g. add the Description column so that it can be easily edited from within the table. Maybe the screenshot shows better what I mean.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

<=-=May 4 2006 8:20AM=-=>

Hi Johann,
    Thank you for your suggestion regarding the customization of the table view. We will investigate this for a future release of SQL Server.
    Bill Ramos

<=-=Oct 16 2007 5:38AM=-=>

Hello Johann,

Thanks again for the suggestion. This bug has also been reported by another customer. We have decided to close one of them as a duplicate bug. We will try follow up on the tracking issue in the coming release of SQL Server.

Thanks
    Karthik

16. TSQL: Permit an "IF Exists ... ALTER" test when CREATING / ALTERING DDL statements.

It would be really nice to relax the restrictions on the �CREATE object� commands that enforce they are the only statements in the batch.

Want to permit an IF EXISTS <ALTER PROC/object> ELSE <CREATE PROC/object> as valid syntax.

I understand the transactional stability requirement, but adding a limited set of commands may not affect that requirement.

As the concern is likely to be about the atomic latching of system catalog, give me a new DDL word as we did with MERGE in DML that means ALTER IF EXISTS, CREATE IF DOESN'T

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 8

<=-=Sep 3 2009 8:01AM=-=>

This has been filed multiple times. When you make the same suggestion more than once, you are just diluting the votes. Please vote on this item:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQL/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=127219

Hopefully they will close this one as a duplicate, like they should have also done with #351217.

<=-=Sep 9 2009 8:03PM=-=>

Hi Davele,

Thank you for your feedback! As Aaron mentioned this has already been filed under connect item 127219. I am resolving this one as a duplicate, please vote on the other item :-)

Thanks
    - Tobias

17. Support drillthrough on Gemini PivotTables

A PivotTable based on Gemini data doesn't support drillthrough (message "Show Details cannote be completed on a calculated cell").

I'm pretty sure this will be the first request of some users. In general, the drillthrough is one of the most critical requests of almost all of the SSAS implementations I made until today. I think that an action that moves the user to the Gemini AddIn, setting same filters corresponding to the cell that has been clicked for drillthrough would be perfect and highly appreciated.

PS: and if in SSAS 11 you will provide the Gemini AddIn as a drillthrough…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 6

<=-=Aug 26 2009 12:54PM=-=>

Agreed. Very important feature. Frequently used in standard Excel PivotTables.

<=-=Aug 26 2009 1:56PM=-=>

Thank you for providing this feedback. We will consider your request when planning Gemini features. In the meantime, please continue to use the product and provide feedback. Your feedback helps us to build better products.

<=-=Sep 27 2012 4:57PM=-=>

Hello,

We now have a drillthrough function in SQL Server 2012. I will close this bug as fixed.

Regards,
    Kasper

<=-=Nov 16 2012 11:49AM=-=>

I used SSAS 2012 and excel 2010 and I get the same error. If this is related to SSAS should this not work with Excel 2010? Or am I wrong…?

“Show details cannot be executed with multiple items selected in a report filter or slicer.

18. Policy evaluation screen is difficult to read

If i have a policy that contains a script i get prompted by SSMS with a screen that is very difficult to read due to the blue hypertext on top of a blue row fill color.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 10

<=-=Aug 10 2009 3:17PM=-=>

that’s all i get? marked as ‘resolved (won’t fix)’ without any comment?

<=-=Aug 10 2009 5:27PM=-=>

When Aaron Bertrand reported this (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=281293), he got “Closed by design.” :( For what it’s worth, you aren’t the only one bugged by this, and it’s all, not most humans who can’t read blue on blue, because our eyes aren’t engineered for it. I blogged about blue-on-blue here: http://stevekass.com/2008/08/04/humans-cant-read-blue/. Makes you wonder what species is doing GUI development in Redmond, doesn’t it?

<=-=Aug 26 2009 12:35PM=-=>

Huamns also can’t read light gray on gray or light yellow on most any background. Is this a conspiracy to get us old guys out of the business. (I also find 6 and 8 point fonts a bit tough)

<=-=Sep 22 2009 4:41PM=-=>

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for submitting the feedback. This a known issue. I understand the…

19. Cannot access global variables inside the body of a report

Cannot access global variables inside the body of a report
    � The only built-in globals this is true for is Page Number and Total Pages - the reasoning for this the page body does not reset itself on page change so it would not reflect the page number on any subsequent page after page 1. The headers and footers are refreshed on each page so the ability to include a page number is possible.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SSRS Sizes Set Via Expression

I have ran into a scenario where I need to set the row height dynamically depending on the data row count to match the height of an adjacent table. My attempted work-around was to create a temporary sub-report dynamically at runtime (replacing the <height> tag via a streamreader of the original subreport), however, the subreport property is read-only as well...

This would be quite useful for some future release!

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Upvotes: 0

<=-=Aug 10 2009 12:01PM=-=>

Hello,

Thanks for writing in about this. I have closed this request as a duplicate of one that we already have on file. It sounds like there are several things that you are asking for here, based on the requirement that you mentioned to have two separate tables located side-by-side:

1) Expression-based sizing and layout
    2) The ability to join multiple datasets into one so that heterogeneous data can be presented in the same data region
    3) Grid-layout capabilities

Each of these represents a feature request for SSRS, so thanks to your request we now have them on file.

Best regards,
    Chris B.
    SSRS Team

• Don't see your idea?

SQL Server

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base